Thread: Kodiak deer hunt logistics?

Default Kodiak deer hunt logistics?

I was trying to do some research and come up with the logistics and cost of a kodiak archery deer hunt, not sure if early or late, probably late. Is it best to fly to kodiak from anchorage or leave by ferry? What's the best way to get out into the field, boat or plane? I'd probably be hunting solo and looking to get only a deer or two. What would the cost be to get into the field from Kodiak? I know there are variables to consider but just trying to get a grasp on if this is doable.

Thanks

Riley

Default Kodia Combos

I was told Kodiak Combos was a good place to start. I have had friends use them and were happy with their results

Flights from Anchorage to Kodiak are probably just as cheap as getting to Homer and taking the ferry to Kodiak if you are by yourself.

Flights out to deer country will range from $800 to $1500 depending where on the island you go.

Both Seahawk Air and Andrews Air can recommend good places to hunt that their clients have had success.

I'd love to do a trip with Kodiak Combos or other lodge based opporation, but I simply cannot afford it at this time in my life.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Going solo on Kodiak is possible, but I would not advise it if you have never stepped foot on the ROCK before. Especially if you are not using an outfitter. I would try to hook up with someone else on this forum who is going this year. It helps break up the cost of the trip. Don't know to many people that need 800-1500 pounds all to themselves on an air charter. Its been my experience that going by air is cheaper & faster over all. Someone else may have more experience chartering or hireing outfitters with boats & costs related.

The ferry & the plane ride from ANC-ADQ are about the same. Where you save some coin is shipping gear & game to & from by using the ferry. If you live close to the Anchorage area I would use the ferry. If you are coming from OR you just as well fly all the way.

AKDoug has some good info. All I would add is that $800-1500 bucks is a one way deal to start getting into good deer country. Double it for a round trip. Best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Unless the price climbed dramatically since 2008, my flight cost $900 with Seahawk Air. Yes, it was a short flight, but my longer flight I was already scheduled for was only $1200. Now, if you HAVE to go to the very southern end of the island to get a deer..then, yep it's going to set you back a couple grand.

If you don't need a Beaver sized load, Kingfisher Aviation has smaller aircraft that I was quoted at $475/hr last year. They can take 850# total, which is the sized load I paid for with Seahawk. Depending on weather, with the cruise speed of the Bushhawk should get you anyplace on Kodiak within an hour and a half.

I'll be moving to Anchorage in May and looking for some hunts to do this fall. Not sure what I'm going to be able to afford or have time for. But what I'm seeing for prices to get out to a hunt on Kodiak seems like that won't be cheap either. I'd like to go up the haul road for caribou but not sure if I have time to drive that far and make a good hunt when it seems like such a crap shoot as to when the animals are going to be moving through. On the other hand deer hunting is something I know how to do and I think I'd have more time in October/November. I may be wrong on the Caribou on the Dalton, I need to find out which one is more feasible I suppose.

Dalton might be a better starting point & cheaper by far.

Default flight vs ferry

one word of warning...

Dollar for dollar Anchorage to Kodiak on a plane vs driving from Anchorage to Homer and then the ferry to Kodiak is pretty equal... However, when it comes to gear shipping if you have any Hazmat (boat motors, fuel, pressurized fuel etc) I have found the ferry is WAY easier. The ferry will cost ya a few extra days of travel. And be sure to thoroughly check the ferry schedule or you might find yourself stuck...

Default Kodiak vs deer

Is it deer or Kodiak or both that you want? If just deer, don't overlook Prince William Sound (namely Montague and Hinchinbrook Islands, although there are others). From Anchorage there are number of ways to get out there, and the cost is reasonable (cheaper than Kodiak IMHO). Hinchinbrook deer was my first big game hunt when I moved here - had a blast, and took three.

Default WinMag is right

about the 'hazmat'. They've gotten really silly about it. Last year when my brother were on our way back from Kodiak, ERA confiscated a Costco size box of hand warmers and our Jet Boil fuel (after we were already in Kodiak and had brought the stuff from Anchorage to Kodiak on ERA with no issues). Kind of funny considering you don't even have to go through security to get on the plane. The first time we went (2007) we had no problems coming or going. We brought fuel, ammo, hand warmers, and even pistols in our carry on luggage with no issues whatsoever.

I'm not intending to slam ERA, I'm sure they are just following the rules, but it does seem a little silly. Fuel cans are one thing, hand warmers still in the factory sealed packs is ridculous IMO.

It is rediculous...however, as I found out quickly, anything you need hazardous can be bought in Kodiak..JetBoil fuel, small propane bottles, lighters etc. In fact, between Mac's, Cy's and Walmart you could fly to Kodiak with nothing but a Visa card and go hunting the next day