Thread: How do you do it????

Default How do you do it????

Im moving to AK in June an plan to hunt in the fall. I have been hunting my whole life but all in the Mid-west and Texas. How can I learn what to take in with me? How do you get those enormous animals back to your vehicle? I asume you cut them up and carry them out. Is their a how to guide for AK hunting I.E the gear you need, where to go, what to do after the kill??

Thanks Much

i was in that same boat a few years ago myself. this is a GREAT place to start to learn the ways. just keep reading and using the search function here on the forum. all if your info can be found here or on google. dont be too afraid to ask questions. everyone was at that point at sometime, however; with that being said i wouldnt pry too much on where to hunt lol what are you planning on hunting and all that? let us know!

Where are you moving to? If you'll be in the southcentral area, I'd be happy to sit down with you over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer to discuss some basics. As the previous poster mentioned, though, reading here will be a great way to get started. Read, read, and read some more. There are lots of stories on here that contain things that worked, things that didn't, and "dear god, we barely made it out alive" moments. Though nothing can replace personal experiene, it is certainly worthwhile to look at these things through the eyes of others before heading afield.

You might also want to look through the bookstore here. There are a number of good how-to books that start from the ground level.

Default Amazon.com

Using this forum for general how to info is one of your better sources. But like the previous poster, the where to is an answer you wont get, if you do get a where to answer you might be the only one out there hunting that particular species which could end up like snipe hunting. Amazon.com has loads of Alaska hunting books on the how to Hunt Alaska. Some people have been here for years and still havent figured out the how to here in Alaska. Usually most befriend someone and get a hunting buddy. This is definately a state where you dont try it alone. Those that do are usually tempting fate. Good Luck

I also recommend Marc Taylor's books. They are a really quick and good read but I think a person gains alot more than just the "how to's" from his books (frame of mind, paying respect to the experience, etc.) Good Luck!

Default fixed if for you there Brian

Click on the above to go see.

Links are cool, some people can't find things on the Internet, but anyone can click on a link, and did to get this far.

A few books that might be helpful in getting started are:

Hunt Alaska Now by Dennis Confer

The Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer. (An indespensible map book - I've already worn out three copies.)

Field Care of Big Game and Is This Moose Legal -2 part DVD put out by Alaska Dept. of F&G. Very helpful to watch before going afield.

Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers by Michael Strahan.

Hunting in Alaska by Chris Batin.

Hunting Hard in Alaska by Marc Taylor.

You beat me to it, FamilyMan. I was working on a personalized list.

I'm about six years into it myself and it comes down to some basics that hit me as I think of what has been learned and what needs learned. The first is that most of the game isn't quite as wary as a whitetail or turkey....but they are much more spotty to find. (even caribou hunting in the wrong spot will seem a frozen wasteland but there are thousands over the next hill). Second, hunting in the evening or before work is also not as easily done (at all), it's largely weekends etc. Third, it takes lots of good equipment (as simple as a big enough rifle 30-06 and up will do for most, good raingear and boots, sturdy tent, survival outfit, to the more extreme....boats, snogo's, planes, rafts and the like.) Fourth, as was said, going alone is not only somewhat dangerous it is also much harder, two guys or five makes packing a moose much easier and there is plenty to go around after cutting it up. Fifth, it's often kinda pricy, whether it's a flyout, or even equipping and paying for boat gas. Sixth, an ungulate is an ungulate is an ungulate....you make the same cuts on a moose as a deer to quarter or debone....they are just much much bigger and they are not hanging on a pole...but seriously, if you can quickly dress a whitetail, with a little revamping of your equipment (i.e. a hatchet or sawzall) you will be well on your way. Seventh, Don't pull a Rumsfeld, have an exit strategy before pulling the trigger so that you can take care of yourself and the meat properly. Eighth (and finally) nearly every great adventure story starts with a bad decision, keep a cool head and make good ones and you will be fine.

All that said, it's great, I won't say it's better than what you've done because I loved hunting the midwest too, it's just different. A good hunter in either place will succeed in the other...you just need to keep your head up, make good decisions and listen to most of those around you (BSers are everywhere after all) You may only see a few (or no) bull moose during your hunt but when you do boy....holy cow...it's a rush. The scenery is often fantastic even if challenging and any day spent afield beats the heck out of yardwork. You will find your fellow hunter to have the same passion for this big ol place as you even if they've seen it a dozen or 40 times. Same thing as anywhere, be respectful and be clean and you will have no lack of fireside buddies.

Good luck bud.

Thanks Much guys

I will look into those books. I'm in the Army and I'm moving to Fort Wainwrite in the Fairbanks area. I hope to find a hunting buddy, but I know people are always nervous to invite the FNG. And I understand that nobody is going to tell me exactly where to go but hopefully I can get a point in the right direction when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Thanks Much guys

I will look into those books. I'm in the Army and I'm moving to Fort Wainwrite in the Fairbanks area. I hope to find a hunting buddy, but I know people are always nervous to invite the FNG. And I understand that nobody is going to tell me exactly where to go but hopefully I can get a point in the right direction when I get there.
    Give me a shout when you get here and I should be able to give you a little insight to the local Fairbanks area. I have a little knowledge of the area and moose hunting in general. If you have some questions in the mean time shoot me a PM.

Thanks Much guys

I hope to find a hunting buddy, but I know people are always nervous to invite the FNG.
    Memorize these magic words, "I'll help you pack out your moose."

I hope to find a hunting buddy, but I know people are always nervous to invite the FNG. And I understand that nobody is going to tell me exactly where to go but hopefully I can get a point in the right direction when I get there.
    As rambling raven showed, I think you'll find that people are typically more welcoming to the new guy than you might think. Don't expect a map to someone's secret spot, but there are a lot of good folks (on this forum and elsewhere) who will be happy to get pointed in the right direction. With the large military presence in AK, as well as the fact that a lot of people have been relocating here (myself included) in recent years, there are a lot of people who have been in your shoes... keep active on this forum, get to know people, and ask questions when you have them. When you get to Alaska, let people know you're a hunter, be respectful, be open to going along for the ride and pull your weight, and you'll likely find some people willing to show you the ropes.

In the meantime, definitely start on the books that Brian and the others have mentioned before. There's a wealth of information in there on the animals, gear, seasons, etc. and it'll help you get a good overall feel for hunting in Alaska. It's a big state, and it takes some work. In a way moving to Alaska is like going from amateur to pro-status.

A year or so ago, I wrote out some more extensive thoughts on the subject.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50172
    It can seem overwhelming, but just jump into and it'll come together with time.

And welcome to the forum!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

If you weren't a 19 series I might have helped you out.

Just kidding, If you are looking for any specific info let me know in a PM.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default fairbankian

i'm also in FB if you want to drop a line when you get here... feel free; at worst i'm willing to talk your ear off and at best you might get invited out... 10 years here and still learning something new every year (and the magic "i'll help out around camp" paid in spades for me).

maybe we can follow raven up the river and see where he finds all his moose, lol

BTW i'm a dried up used to be; 29V then 31P and finally 74B...

Thanks Wyo2AK

The post was very informative. I pray there is hope for the guy that gets to go hunting on the weekends, however I am willing to work hard.

Thanks Wyo2AK

The post was very informative. I pray there is hope for the guy that gets to go hunting on the weekends, however I am willing to work hard.
    If you're willing to put in the time I'm sure you'll get it figured out. And I wouldn't write off the weekend hunt. Keep in mind my thread was from the bias of someone living in the greater metropolis region of Anchorage/Mat-Su Valley. The fact you're going to be in Fairbanks will definitely help with the possibility of doing some weekend/short duration hunts. Alaska's filled with weekend warriors.

Good luck!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

CAV, I won't be getting back from Kabul until September but the wife knows I will be out hunting soon after getting back. Hit me up if you haven't found anyone to get out with. I've got a couple buddies that we normally go out with but don't mind a new guy.