Thread: Earliest Halibut Off Deep Creek?

Default Earliest Halibut Off Deep Creek?

Mine was several years ago on April 28th. What's your earliest 'but off Deep Creek or Anchor River?

May 1. Whiskey Gulch. And a saltwater King to boot.

The earliest for me is early April, never tried earlier.

Has anyone heard when the tractors are going to start launching this year at Deep Creek and the Anchor River? I imagine that will be when I get out for the first time this year. I've seen a few trucks dissapear under the water at Deep Creek years ago and don't think I want to chance that with my own truck.

Angry Sometime early, sometimes late

Last year 7 charterboats went out first week of May (me included) and no one got a Halibut, the herring had not started to move up the inlet. I have done very well during the same time period in years past.

Deep creek tractor launch opens May 1.
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins

While we are talking about the tractor launch's, do you prefer the Anchor River or Deep Creek tractor launches and why? Not looking for any "bad mouthing" about either. I have only used the Deep Creek tractor and that was 5-7 years ago or so. Gotta get back out there this year.

As far as which tractor launch that I prefer it just depends on the area that I want to fish that day. Both areas have times when either the king salmon or the halibut bite seems to be a little better than the other area or there is a hole that I want to check out that day. Just makes sense to use the closest launch as it saves time, money, and the safety card also comes into play.