Thread: Osagian canoes.

Thumbs up Osagian canoes.

Just got off the phone with Osagian Canoe's Jerrod, the man to talk to about our need for a larger-longer square stern aluminum canoe. He understands our need for a super-sized version of his 17' canoe. He's trying to find a way to accommodate our needs ... investigating making canoes from a single sheet of aluminum, which would allow them to produce a larger canoe without investing $40K to $50K for a mold to make our "Moose Hunter's Special." I'll be checking in with him periodically to find out how the project is faring. He mentioned that they are about to make a 3' scale model of the proposed canoe, as the first step in development. I'm rev'd up, and will post anything I hear. He's familiar with the Scott canoes. I suggested that a 20' version of the Scott Albany, in .050 aluminum, might act as a positive guide.

What I want is both longer, wider and deeper. The depth of the 17' Osagian and the 19' Grumman are both about 14" ... on rough, windy rivers the last few years, I've taken water over the gunnels - makes me a bit insecure. The Albany is 18" deep. My "Moose Hunters' Special" would include increased depth.

Jerrod was very interested in our ideas and needs, and wants to come up with the product we want, and which makes good business sense for his company.

I gave him the address for this forum and mentioned that there are a bunch of us here that have been searching for a solution to our needs for several years. Hopefully, he'll join the discussion. He was great to talk with and welcomed my call.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-08-2010 at 16:23. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just got off the phone with Osagian Canoe's Jerrod, the man to talk to about our need for a larger-longer square stern aluminum canoe. He understands our need for a super-sized version of his 17' canoe. He's trying to find a way to accommodate our needs ... investigating making canoes from a single sheet of aluminum, which would allow them to produce a larger canoe without investing $40K to $50K for a mold to make our "Moose Hunter's Special." I'll be checking in with him periodically to find out how the project is faring. He mentioned that they are about to make a 3' scale model of the proposed canoe, as the first step in development. I'm rev'd up, and will post anything I hear. He's familiar with the Scott canoes. I suggested that a 20' version of the Scott Albany, in .050 aluminum, might act as a positive guide.

What I want is both longer, wider and deeper. The depth of the 17' Osagian and the 19' Grumman are both about 14" ... on rough, windy rivers the last few years, I've taken water over the gunnels - makes me a bit insecure. The Albany is 18" deep. My "Moose Hunters' Special" would include increased depth.

Jerrod was very interested in our ideas and needs, and wants to come up with the product we want, and which makes good business sense for his company.

I gave him the address for this forum and mentioned that there are a bunch of us here that have been searching for a solution to our needs for several years. Hopefully, he'll join the discussion. He was great to talk with and welcomed my call.

great job! i once approached old town with the same agenda.....they flaked out. I want them to come out with a larger square sterned but there isnt much market for em. hopefully osagian will consider it. i would also suggest that you invite that guy onto this forum. Family man's albany is about the best moose hunting rig currently available.....hopefully other's will see the versatility of a slightly larger square sterned....and wider at the stern too. something that can still be lined with ease.....
    also.....i have an 18 and 20 foot sportboat that im designing. being in college has allowed me to further study hull designs, and other peer reviewed materials regarding boat construction and hull design.

Default Pat@scottcanoe

Why don't just buy an Albany? You already know its one of the best freighters you can buy. With a little care a fiberglass Albany will likely out live you . One of the great things about fibergalss is it can be repaired on the spot and be fairly cheap to fix. Ever poke a hole or rip an aluminum boat open they are not easy to fix nor cheap to repair providing you can find someone that can do it. We been building quaility freighters for over 45 years just ask any body that owns one.

Quote Originally Posted by pat@scottcanoe View Post
    Why don't just buy an Albany? You already know its one of the best freighters you can buy. With a little care a fiberglass Albany will likely out live you . One of the great things about fibergalss is it can be repaired on the spot and be fairly cheap to fix. Ever poke a hole or rip an aluminum boat open they are not easy to fix nor cheap to repair providing you can find someone that can do it. We been building quaility freighters for over 45 years just ask any body that owns one.
    start carrying them here in anchorage for a price that is comparable to where your shop is and maybe we would buy em. that's the big issue with scott canoes.....a 12-14 hour drive to whitehorse, then hel at the border to get em accross. you have no established dealers here, when you did......the price was through the roof. we do have an osagian dealer in fairbanks......so if they are able to build this 18 footer........it will fill the void....unless of course you can work out the bugs and establish a dealer up here.

Quote Originally Posted by pat@scottcanoe View Post
    Because I can handle the weight of an aluminum canoe of that size much more easily than the 185 lbs. of an Albany.

I may stick with the 17' Osagian since I can portage that one at 113 lbs. by myself. I'm anticipating gas getting ever more expensive, so saving weight where I can is important to me. Lighter boat = smaller motor etc. . .

Quote Originally Posted by wynot View Post
    Because I can handle the weight of an aluminum canoe of that size much more easily than the 185 lbs. of an Albany.

I may stick with the 17' Osagian since I can portage that one at 113 lbs. by myself. I'm anticipating gas getting ever more expensive, so saving weight where I can is important to me. Lighter boat = smaller motor etc. . .
    Is this a motor for the actual canoe? i don't think that would make too much difference overall when you're talking pretty small motors

Quote Originally Posted by Gouse View Post
    Is this a motor for the actual canoe? i don't think that would make too much difference overall when you're talking pretty small motors
    Not sure what you are asking, but guys are running 15hp four strokes on the Albanys. I'd be looking at a 9hp or less depending on the length of the Osagian.

But my needs and preferences are different than many posting here. I will be going from the house and running pretty light. I won't be doing week trips down big lakes and up big rivers. Rivers I run up will be small and tight and require some poling.

I ran a 15hp merc on a 20' wood/canvas square stern in Labrador. It went as fast as I needed it to go down a 50 mile lake and ran up and down rapids in a big (really big) freestone river just fine.

What does this have to do with this forum. Looks like spam to me!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    What does this have to do with this forum. Looks like spam to me!
    ??? Discussing why I'll be using an Osagian canoe in Alaska is spam???

???or my comment about using a square-stern in another wilderness region???

From wiki: Forum spam is the creating of messages that are advertisements, abusive, or otherwise unwanted on Internet forums. It is generally done by automated spambots.

No man! It was pulled by a mod. Nothing to what you have said

Ok, just me behind the power curve again. . .

Thumbs up Spam pulled

Thanks guys for sending me a message about the spam that sneaks on here.
    instead of leaving a message on the actual thread, just send me a note,, or any or all of the mods so we can kick the spam bots off..
    We all appreciate the efforts you guys offer in stopping the spam.
    If we can catch it in the early stage, we can stop the IP address from sending anymore to the other forums and threads...
    It was confusing in this thread because I removed the spam message and that left the previous poster concerned that someone thought he was being called a spammer..lol..
    anyway,, thanks again..
    Keep it up..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Here it is a year later and Osagian obviously didn't build that larger canoe you asked them about. Heck.....I should just build a mold of my "mystery" tank and start production. This is what all the other big wig canoe companies did......make molds of older ones and simply upgraded the materials they were made of.

Anybody want to put down an order??

Here's it's specs:
    18ft. 2in. long
    52 inches wide
    20 inches deep
    25 inches height at bow
    3 inches of rocker
    19 inches deep at stern
    217 lbs. (I finally weighed it)

I could even make a 20 ft. model, and of course any canoe I make will have many unique provisions for running shallow water.....that's for darned sure.

Mainer~
    pics? price?

Also, I noticed the other day that Sportsmans Whorehouse is carrying Osagian canoes. They had the 17' up in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJake View Post
    Mainer~
    pics? price?

Also, I noticed the other day that Sportsmans Whorehouse is carrying Osagian canoes. They had the 17' up in the store.
    Check out the mystery tank thread for pictures of the actual canoe. I'm going to build a mold of my canoe but extend it to 20 ft. and rework the stern geometry a bit because it's too wide. Construction will probably be two layers of 5 oz. s-glass, and one layer of 6 oz Kevlar. Gunwales, spray rails, seats, and thwarts will probably be made of ash. UHMW wear strips would provide the armor for the wetted surfaces of the hull. Stern will be glassed in plywood with exterior stern plates made of a hardwood laminate. I will probably use the vacuum bagging technique to garnish as much strength of the laminate as possible. West System epoxy, gel coat, and hardener will be used as I've never worked with any other type of epoxy. Price would probably be in the ballpark of $5,500-6,500.

Some of us have been trying to interest one of the aluminum boat fabricators to make a large freighter canoe such as a Scott Hudson Bay. As we all now know, none of them are interested. So, the choice is mainer's product or a Scott. Maybe mainer might make a mold off a HB?

don't the GRUMMEN still make the frighters in the 19 Ft, it is a real good canoe but it is not a big water canoe like the HB one's but you can carry it , not far but you can do it an it will fit on a truck/large car you don't have to have a trailer to hall it ,
    SID

Some of us have been trying to interest one of the aluminum boat fabricators to make a large freighter canoe such as a Scott Hudson Bay. As we all now know, none of them are interested. So, the choice is mainer's product or a Scott. Maybe mainer might make a mold off a HB?
    A Scott canoe really isn't much of a choice since there are no dealers in the state. The dimensions of my big canoe are perfect for a dedicated freight boat, no need to copy something else. It just needs to be reworked into a 20 ft. boat which is what it should be. This will allow more efficiency and less throttle from an outboard of equal horespower (when loaded down heavy). When you consider the final price of a vacuum bagged kevlar/s-glass boat as compared to what it would cost to get a Scott......the choice would be pretty obvious. A finished boat with a lift stern, made of kevlar/s-glass and uhmw wear strips would be a lot of boat for the final asking price. There's nothing like building a canoe to perfection anyways, it's the most rewarding work I've ever done. Vacuum bagging can be a pain in the a s s though trying to seal up the corner pleats when working with a vacuum pump. It's worth it though when you peel off the peel ply and bleeder cloth to discovery a laminate bonded to perfection and of the utmost strength........with a gel coat finish that's out of this world.

Mariner - I'll bet that you would mave more orders than you could keep up with. Heck I've got me new grumman and I want one of what you are suggesting!
    Semper Fi and God Bless