Thread: Short shaft 30 hp jet drive?

Default Short shaft 30 hp jet drive?

I've got a little dillema. I'm buying a Jon boat (previously posted more detail here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=74618 ). I'll likely go with a 14' ATEC Sockeye Modified V. For now my 20 HP short shaft prop drive is what I plan on mounting. The boat is rated for a 30 HP motor and I'd like to upgrade to a 30 HP Jet eventually. So, does anybody make a 30 HP Jet drive with a 15" shaft? I checked Yamaha and Honda... No dice.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    I've got a little dillema. I'm buying a Jon boat (previously posted more detail here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=74618 ). I'll likely go with a 14' ATEC Sockeye Modified V. For now my 20 HP short shaft prop drive is what I plan on mounting. The boat is rated for a 30 HP motor and I'd like to upgrade to a 30 HP Jet eventually. So, does anybody make a 30 HP Jet drive with a 15" shaft? I checked Yamaha and Honda... No dice.
    There are plenty of 25hp that you can get w/ jets, not too sure about 30hp. I'd say probably. Just keep looking. Mercury did years ago. Me personally, I'd put a 50hp short shaft on there with a tiller handle and jet. Plenty of those around. It'll weigh a few pounds heavier than a 30, but not by much. It'll only be approx. 35hp at the nozzle which won't hurt a thing... You'll appreciate the extra 12-15hp than with a 30hp/jet setup. Just don't put a prop on there and you'll be fine, or else that little ATEC will get a bit squirrelly! Good luck.

Default No

They don't make a jet that will run on a 15" transom. A short shaft jet requires about a 21" transom or roughly the same as a long shaft prop.

Can a 15" transom be modified to work with a 20" (or longer) shaft? Is there some sort of an attachment? I think I remember seeing some sort of bracket on a boat but I'm not sure it was for that.

Can a 15" transom be modified to work with a 20" (or longer) shaft? Is there some sort of an attachment? I think I remember seeing some sort of bracket on a boat but I'm not sure it was for that.
    Yes. They're called transom extensions and they're made for just these reasons. Most good welding shops can fab up one out of aluminum in no time. Like Greatland welding in Palmer for example. Take the boat and motor to them and tell them what you want and they'll have it built, mounted and ready to go in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Yes. They're called transom extensions and they're made for just these reasons. Most good welding shops can fab up one out of aluminum in no time. Like Greatland welding in Palmer for example. Take the boat and motor to them and tell them what you want and they'll have it built, mounted and ready to go in short order.

Nothing against Greatland, but Mike's is right next doory to him....

Are you looking for a brand new motor or a used older one? Also 2-stroke or 4? On my old 16ft sea ark we ran a 40HP 2-stroke Mariner tiller that was converted to a jet, so it was roughly 30HP at the jet. Did really well on the boat, but in this case we did have a transom extension. About 3 or 4 inches if i remember right. The boat also had a tunnel and would **** dear go over anything except for dry land.... Really liked the mariner as well... Never had any problems with it..

If your transom is strong enough, you can use a couple pieces of aluminum angle, 3 X 3 or 4 X 4 as a riser to riase the motor the 5-6 inches needed to run a jet.

They would be attached to the transom with some through bolts, mounting the angle vertically, then bolt the motor to the angle.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Are you looking for a brand new motor or a used older one? Also 2-stroke or 4?
    If and when I get one it'll prolly be new. I'd go with a 40 hp 4 stroke "detuned" to 35 hp so it's Kenai River legal.

Default Kenai is 50hp

4 stroke limit now

Default You would probably be better off.......

Not buying that boat, selling your motor, and starting from scratch. It doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a new boat that will fit a short shaft prop only to modify it to run a jet as well. You are better off getting a long shaft prop and a boat with a 20" transom. Just my 2 cents.