Thread: Any help from Weatherby fans?

Default Any help from Weatherby fans?

Came across what looked like a good deal on a Weatherby MkV in .338 Winchester Mag from a friend.

Rifle looks very good...stock looks crap.

Thinking about replacing it with a B&C Medalist but I need to know the barrel contour to order a replacement. Any ideas on what it would be- its a 24" barrel and the rifle has a gray laminate stock, I believe the model was listed as a "laminate sporter" but I'm missing the box or paperwork.

I got a great deal on the rifle compared to what a new Weatherby goes for- just needs some TLC.

Any help from the Weatherby crowd is greatly appreciated!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Came across what looked like a good deal on a Weatherby MkV in .338 Winchester Mag from a friend.

Rifle looks very good...stock looks crap.

Thinking about replacing it with a B&C Medalist but I need to know the barrel contour to order a replacement. Any ideas on what it would be- its a 24" barrel and the rifle has a gray laminate stock, I believe the model was listed as a "laminate sporter" but I'm missing the box or paperwork.

I got a great deal on the rifle compared to what a new Weatherby goes for- just needs some TLC.

Any help from the Weatherby crowd is greatly appreciated!
    I have ONE Weatherby Mk V, but dunno if that qualifies me as part of the “crowd”.

Why not just refinish the stock????

I suppose that contour information would be available from where you would buy a new stock. If there were more than one, a few measurements could be in order. ?????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Why not just refinish the stock????
    Smitty- the stock is laminated, the clear finish is cracked badly but thats not really the show stopper. The wood itself has a pile of deep gouges and missing chunks.

I took the rifle apart last night and cleaned out all the gunk. The metal was surprisingly perfect under a layer of crud and the bore is excellent despite not being cleaned in years. It makes me wonder what they did to the stock to get it in such bad shape but left the metal untouched- I usually ding the finish on the barrel first. Looks like the rifle was hunted hard and shot very little.

Default Stock replaced

I have to wonder if the stock is orginal. My knowledge of Weatherbys is limited but I don't recall ever seeing an older blued one with a laminated stock. If the finish is cracked it usually means that the stock would have gotten wet and tht usually means rust on the metal.

Smitty- the stock is laminated, the clear finish is cracked badly but thats not really the show stopper. The wood itself has a pile of deep gouges and missing chunks.

I took the rifle apart last night and cleaned out all the gunk. The metal was surprisingly perfect under a layer of crud and the bore is excellent despite not being cleaned in years. It makes me wonder what they did to the stock to get it in such bad shape but left the metal untouched- I usually ding the finish on the barrel first. Looks like the rifle was hunted hard and shot very little.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I have to wonder if the stock is orginal. My knowledge of Weatherbys is limited but I don't recall ever seeing an older blued one with a laminated stock. .
    Apparently the stock is original, with weatherby marked recoil pad... I did find a new one identical to it on Gunbroker so the configuration is at least factory. From the condition and the general level of grime on the exterior I fully expected finding rust under the stock- I was surprised there was none at all. The bolt face hasn't even accumalated much brass.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159883082

This one is apparently new "old stock" and they're asking WAAAAAAY more than I paid for mine.

I may just use the stock as-is. I can't imagine there's actually anything wrong with it other than ugly and remarkably heavy. I've wound up with something I never thought I'd own- a beater Weatherby.

Apparently the stock is original, with weatherby marked recoil pad... I did find a new one identical to it on Gunbroker so the configuration is at least factory. From the condition and the general level of grime on the exterior I fully expected finding rust under the stock- I was surprised there was none at all. The bolt face hasn't even accumalated much brass.

This one is apparently new "old stock" and they're asking WAAAAAAY more than I paid for mine.

I may just use the stock as-is. I can't imagine there's actually anything wrong with it other than ugly and remarkably heavy. I've wound up with something I never thought I'd own- a beater Weatherby.
    Put a B&C Medalist stock on it. Go to Weatherby Rifles Forum and they will be able to help with the model and contour of the barrel so you will know which B&C stock to buy. http://www.weatherby.dk/forum.php
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Stainless?

The link shows a blued gun with a box marked "SS" for stainless steel?

I would expect a stainless gun in a laminated stock but not a blued one. I didn't question if the stock was orginal as much as if it was orginal to the gun since the conditions were so far apart.

I won't tell you what I paid for my .378 the other day but it was really a great deal.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The idea of a ”Beater Weatherby”, does seem to be out of character.

I think I’d pursue getting the stock refinished. The gouges can probably be sanded and ironed out, and missing wood can be filled.

A Weatherby Mk V is still a Mk V, with or without a shiny stock. Mine is not a “beater”, but I do call it “Utility”, because it has a synthetic stock.

It’s a fine accurate hunting rifle. There is really nothing wrong with scars on a rifle, if they are honorable ones.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

...There is really nothing wrong with scars on a rifle, if they are honorable ones.
    Like when the screw came lose on the loop holding my sling on the swivel on my 700 BDL 300 WM when mule deer hunting in Colorado?

What's worse is that I tried to fill in the gash on the stock the giant granite rock made with some Home Depo wood filler. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Like when the screw came lose on the loop holding my sling on the swivel on my 700 BDL 300 WM when mule deer hunting in Colorado?

What's worse is that I tried to fill in the gash on the stock the giant granite rock made with some Home Depo wood filler. Live and learn.
    Way to go. I bet it shoots just as well.

That sounds a lot like "Bear Damage" to me. Stories get more exciting as time goes on.

"Do you know how that gash got on Grampaws gun? A bear did it when he was huntin them". He got the bear, too. Grampaw is reely tuff".

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Way to go. I bet it shoots just as well.

That sounds a lot like "Bear Damage" to me. Stories get more exciting as time goes on.

"Do you know how that gash got on Grampaws gun? A bear did it when he was huntin them". He got the bear, too. Grampaw is reely tuff".

Smitty of the North
    I do make mistakes--like letting a screw come loose. But it didn't harm the rifle; though it could have. I sent it to my dad for a hunt last year. He shoots better than me, and candidly tells me when he gets frustrating groups with any rifle or pistol, never brags, and he's consistently getting 1/2" to 3/4" groups with it at 100 yds. It's a good rifle and perhaps better than the current models in the same line.