Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve's pot questio

Default Steve's pot questio

What is everyone using for bait jars with Steve's pots? I have some but they don't take up much of the area allocated for bait. Any pics or help would be great.

thanks
    Boatless

I use the 6" bait jars that B&J's sells in both of my pots that were built by Steve (potbuilder). And what do I put in them? Steve's shrimp crack of course!

P.S. Steve, I'm gonna be picking up one more standard pot and two big containers of shrimp crack from you at the show. Thanks!

thanks for the reply. do those take up most of the space in those pots?
    Boatless

Default Just like these but mine are orange

Bought at Donolans, Just cause they are right down the street from me, they are like 5 bucks each and I had them before I came to this forum

I put a mix of shrimp crack, nasty seafood cat food and ground up herring (the catfood cause I have tons of it and my cats don't really like it and the herring is what is left over from the previous year, no good for fishing)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 20oz gatorade bottle...

with a bunch of tiny holes drilled in it fits just right. My bait containers were too wide for Steve's pots, so had to improvise.

Larsenvega: I like those bait jars you got at B&J, are the holes small enough to keep the sea maggots out?

Default Cat food

I just use cat food (salmon) in aluminum cans. An awl make some small holes rather quickly in the lids. Not too big, or the sea lice will get in and eat everything. The larger cans of chicken dog food work better when on sale. Chicken has out produced all others at times for bait.

Using carcases: rock fish are best, then salmon and sea bass last. In Australia they even use things like potatoes. You just never know. I tried sawdust soaked in herring oil one year and proved that was an ineffective bait. Probably wrong species of tree.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

32 oz Nalgene bottles fit perfectly; I drill lots of tiny holes with a Dremel moto-tool than toss in shrimp crack. If you run out of crack them shrimp will eat just about anything and everything.
    I quit using anything with a snap-on cap, they eventually fail.

5 weeks to shimp season
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default bait jars!

Until creating my own this past winter, I used those shown from donaldsons too! Look at the holes in a different way, yes there big enough to let the lice in, but there also big enough that the lice wash out on the trip to the surface! No jar drilled full of holes does that.
    That bait of Steves is about as user friendly as it gets and your putting up with way too much mess and kidding yourself at the same time if you think all that other stuff added to it makes it better. I'm sure everyone has their own ideas as to this bait thing but I guarantee you no one on this forum is any lazier than me and you will never catch me doing any more than just what it takes to get by. Try fishing only them pellets and not too many once, you'll soon figure it out! You only need to fill the 6 inch jars 3 inches full! My new jars are only 2 inch's around (but of course their 12 inches tall!) They hold the same amount as those 6inchers but in a tall container a whole lot more surface is exposed to the water and the shrimp. And with .200 holes there will be no, I mean absolutely no lice!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Larsenvega: I like those bait jars you got at B&J, are the holes small enough to keep the sea maggots out?
    The holes are small enough to keep most sea lice out, but the persistent ones can still get in. Most of the places I do my best shrimping at seem to have small sea lice populations, so it hasn't been an issue for me. The lids on mine screw on, and they are also a snap to clean and rinse right into the water before heading back in. I want to say they cost me about $5 each. The only mod I did was to snap off the clip up top so it wouldn't bang around in the current.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    thanks for the reply. do those take up most of the space in those pots?
    They take up all but about the top 2-3 inches of space. This was ideal for me because I run yellow underwater CML lights (see below) in that space and mount them with a small metal clip to keep them in place. My other reason was to keep the bait in the center of the trap rather than all the way up to the top. My theory is that if the shrimp can stand up top and eat the little bits washing around, they may not have as much motivation to find their way into the trap from the sides. Plus, you don't want to fill the jars completely anyways, so the larger jar will still have the same amount of empty space. I use 3 inches of pellets, and only add a small handfull on each pull until the end of the day when I toss the leftovers.

thanks everyone for the info. I currently use some tubber ware type jars with hole in them and steve's shrimp crack. I was just wondering what everyone was using because I don't really care for my jars too much.
    Boatless

I used some tupperware jars but found that the thread in the lids got gummed up with bait and crud. I'll be picking up some jars from B&J or donnalsons.

where is donnalsons?
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    where is donnalsons?
    here you go:
    Physical Address:
    5631 Silverado Way, Suite H
    Anchorage, Alaska 99518

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Mosquito netting bags - My wife made me some with draw strings and quick releases. No bugs, inexpensive- couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    here you go:
    Physical Address:
    5631 Silverado Way, Suite H
    Anchorage, Alaska 99518

thanks for the help
    Boatless

Smile Walmart

.99 cent water bottles with plastic strap attaching cap to bottle. Drill lots of little holes and hang in the center with a carabiner.

all ya need is any jug with a wide mouth so the crack slides in/out easily. The bugs don't care what the bait is in. $5 each for bait jars i need to sell you guys some!!! $25 bucks for plastic jars sh*t that will get ya better than 1/2 a bucket of crack!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Gatorade w/holes

Another one for using Gatorade bottles with holes drilled throughout.
    Also, if you run a loop through the cap and clip it to the bottom of the pot (inside of course) it will not rest on the ceiling of the pot as stated in an earlier post.
    Drill lots of small holes and the sea lice don't even stand a chance.
    When the containers get too nasty to deal with, drop them off at the dumpster on your way out of the harbor. New ones come with a bonus, there full of Gatorade!
    BK

Thumbs up Bait Bucket

This year we built our own Pots, our bait buckets are made out of PVC pipe and run the full length of the pot. We won't know until after April 15th how well they will work, but we are pretty excited to find out.
    Our changes to conventional:
    - We made smaller entrance holes, legal but smaller and many more that most pots.
    - Longer pots 4’ x 26”
    - 2 feed tubes that run the full length of the pots. 583 holes per set, that’s a lot of holes.
    - 4" x 7" bait box for fish, centered in the pot for stability
    - The pot picks up so that the shrimp fall to the bottom of the pot, which doesn't have any holes in it.
    - The Feed Tubes are centered in the pots.

That’s the biggest changes; time will tell if we are on to something. We lost a string (broke a rope) last year, so this year we decided to make a winter project out of building our own pots. We were doing really well with conventional pots, but it was a fun little winter project. So! All we to do now is find out if they work.

Dang! April 15th is a loooooooooooong ways away :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast