Thread: places for long range shooting in the mat-su area

Default places for long range shooting in the mat-su area

mimicking stids question, anyone know some nice open places for long range shooting in the mat-su? would like to be able to shoot 400+ yards.....clean and responsible. thanks

Release Lake Trout

I've been wondering the same thing, 1000 would be nice too. You would think with all of the wilderness here, there would be plenty of places.

1000 yards.....you mite hit a hippie...

kidding of course

Release Lake Trout

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default Too many trees

The problem in the Mat-Su, as I see it, is all the trees. You never know what or who is out there just beyond what you can see. I guess that's why we need a rifle range here in the core Wasilla/Palmer area, until then I've been thinking about going to Birchwood.

This is just another on of those twists of living in this part of "remote" Alaska, you can't just go out a shoot, just like you can't drive down the street at a halfway sane speed without getting passed on double yellow lines and flipped off for driving the speed limit.

It's always nice to know that others share the old dream. Until a millionaire comes along to make this happen, it ain't going to happen. It hasn't happen yet has it? Unless your the federal government it never will.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I think there are,among others, some 600 m as well as 1000 m ranges on Fort Richardson - eligibility to use might be a problem though!

trying to befriend a farm owner out in pt. mac is probably your best bet for 400 yds plus. better know what's on the other end of that bullet though.

Default talkeetna spur

Is there any truth to one on the Talkeetna spur being out to 500 yds or more? I know its a long drive but I might try it once or twice during the spring / summer.

Alaska Rifle Club sponsors 600 yard shoots at Fort Rich and 1000 yard shoots at FOrt Greeley. Come out and shoot. www.akrifleclub.com. POC is Mark Friest.

If us locals would be willing to pool our money and time to do the work,I bet we could make this happen close by,maybe at the range out by Talkeetna for 1000 yards.

On a side note,my son(QRF infratry) has to re qualify every time he goes for another tour with the ARMY....7 out of 7 @ 1,000m on the 50 this week....I'm so proud