Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting rifle for my wife

Default Hunting rifle for my wife

Hi all,

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I went to the Palmer Lions Gun Show that my wife suggested that we start looking for a hunting rifle for her. I do have a 30-06 with open sights that I thought that I could put a scope on for her and we would be set. This would be the cheapest option as I already own this firearm. However, upon thinking about it, it may not be the best option for her. She is not very big and that old -06 does have a pretty strong recoil. On the plus side, she did grow up on a farm and is used to hunting and shooting. We will probably only be targeting moose and caribou. So, any thoughts on a good rifle for my better half? What about the 30-06 with a lower recoil ammunition load? Thoughts...???

My wife can handle my 308 with ease and my 11 year old daughter is doing well with a 243. Either of those will do fine against most game, brown bear excluded. The 308 has plenty of killing power out to 300 yards IMO.

Well from my experience it is not so much the recoil as finding a gun that fits her. I don't think a .30-06 is a bad choice if she can hold it properly and comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Well from my experience it is not so much the recoil as finding a gun that fits her. I don't think a .30-06 is a bad choice if she can hold it properly and comfortably.

308 would be perfect. I'm getting my son a 308 and loading 110 grain (target practice) starting loads with mil surp brass.....cheap and low recoil. hopefully he'll continue to use the rifle for the rest of his life......and on every game animal in Alaska he feels like filling the freezer with.

.270 mite work out well.....maybe a .270 mountain rifle, short, light, less recoil but accurate as all get out. plenty of killin power too.

Release Lake Trout

Default rifle for wife

Big Dog hit it perfectly in get one that fits her. She gave you a hint when she said it is time to start looking for a rifle for her. Make this a fun thing for her and make her feel special by having her involved in picking out that very special rifle that is hers and not some hand me down that you don't use anymore. I don't mean that in a bad way but look at it in her eyes. I bet most guys would jump at the chance to buy their wife a rifle if that is all it took for her to take up hunting. The worst that could happen is you end up with another rifle and that is never a bad thing.

Randy

Not sure how tall she is but if she is vertically challenged (5'5" or less) don't overlook the Ruger compact in 308 or 7mm-08. Very sweet little rig! Boondock's in ER usually has a couple on the rack.

Default Remington Model seven

Take a look at the Remington model seven.

My wife shoots one in 7mm-08, and my 11 year old son shoots one in .308. They are nice little rifles.

Also take her to hold a Kimber 84M. That is one sweet little gun.

Good luck.

Nothing like my 30.06 Winchester Model 70. Cut down to fit me and I picked it out!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default wife

I agree with lujohn and north river, just make sure whatever you get her has a limbsaver recoil pad installed. My wife shoots a 30/06 and a 444 both have the limbsaver pads.

Another vote for the 7mm-08. Very mellow recoil and more than capable for a moose and caribou rifle. My wife absolutely loves hers, and the caribou she shot this year sure didn't go very far.

She has the 7mm-08 in the Remington Model 7 Youth, but as others have said, buy her what fits her body best. My wife is 5'0", so a youth model gun was just the ticket.

Default Size challanged?

That really will be the big question. Getting a youth model if she is the best bet. I found a savage youth 270 that has a built in muzzle break that you can turn on and off. Do you reload? If so, you can always adjust the ammo for her and make reduced recoils for practicing and then hotter rounds for game hunting for what ever size you decide. They do make the managed recoil in several sizes if you don't. I know that you can get in the 270 and 30-06. She'll never feel it then. I believe that you can get up to 150 gr for the 270 which she could use for anything but maybe brown bear. Very flat and long enough range as well. By getting the 270 that would give you some extra options for small game where you could get down to a sierra 90 gr bullet. Let us know what you get, good luck.

As has already been stated the caliber is not as important as finding a gun that she likes. Carrying and using a rifle that you appreciate and enjoy is at least as important as how it performs so long as it is sufficiently accurate and powerful. My wife looked at a number of rifles from a host of makers until she decided that the Tikka was for her. She likes the rifle and it is lightweight so she can shoot it comfortably. You may need to tweak the LOP so that it is a well fitting rifle, but so long as it is pleasing to her eye I wouldn't make much difference in any cartridge from the 6.5 class (260 Rem, 6.5x55) up. Most of these are a good choice for caribou and with proper shot placement they will kill anything else in AK.

I bought my wife a T/C ProHunter in 30-06. It has smooth recoil and she shoots it very well. The recoil on those T/C ProHunters is tamed pretty good. Also, it's too easy to switch out the barrels to move up or down a caliber, or for muzzleloading.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I bought a 06 for my wife and the kick was too much so.... we had wild west guns put a muzzle brake on it and what a dream to shoot now. Is an option if you already have the gun..

I'm currently having a 6.5x55 cut down for my wife. I think it is about the perfect calibre for a woman or child because of it's low recoil and adequate power for big game. Jim

The weatherby youth rifle is very reasonably priced under 400. It's a synthetic stock with blued barrel. I've seen it in .308 and .243.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default First things first

I went through this with my wife a couple of years ago. The most important was to just go to a couple of gunshops and have her try many brands.
    I think we all can agree that a bolt action makes the best sense here.
    After she is comfortable with the feel, then the caliber can be chosen.
    A number calibers certainly are appropriate here such as, 7-08, .308, .270Win. and even the .243. While the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 are neat, you might have trouble finding them and when you do, you will pay for it.
    A low power end variable makes sense as well, 2.5-8, 3-9, 3-10 and the like.
    Also for up there, synthetic and a stainless barrel makes sense.
    Keep us posted and good luck.

.243 or .25-06

Default Seems to come up every year :)

I always answer these threads 'cuz I'm always happy to hear about more women in the field!

Take her shooting, take her to gun shops, let HER find a gun she likes, can handle and fits her.

How big is she? I'm 5'5" maybe 115 lbs, and small frame. I shoot a 30.06 with a synthetic stock that Mr. mbd cut down to fit me. No porting, no brake. LOVE that gun. Shoots out to 400 yards dead on, has been from Prince William Sound to the North Slope and taken every big game animal in the state except a brownie. That's my shortcoming, not the gun. I have not gone after one with it, and probably won't without Mr. mbd backing me up. Again, not because of the gun, but me.

However (big caveat here), I have been shooting all my life, starting with .22s when I was a kid. If she hasn't done a lot of shooting, do both of you a favor and borrow a scoped 10.22, buy a couple bricks of bullets, and go spend a day having fun at the range.

I can handle a gun up to .338 (Mr. mbd's gun of choice) but it's because I know I can, not because it's fun. If it's not fun for her, it won't be any fun for you. Nobody likes recoil or flinch.

Can you borrow some different guns for her to try? Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast