Thread: auroura updates

Default auroura updates

How many people on here use the auroura update page? I havnt paid much attention and was wondering if its reliable. I would like to get some photos but I dont want to travel to far if its not worth it. Hillbilly http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraFo...?Date=20100308

Hillbilly,

I think the site is, well, kinda useless. Maybe if there is going to be a big solar storm or something but usually I just have to go outside and look. Also the predictions are based on Greenwich Mean Time, You wil see a little disclaimer at the bottom of the webpage that says * Alaska Daylight Time (AKDT) is 8 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or Universal Time (UT). Alaska Standard Time (AKST) is 9 hours behind GMT or UT. So the timing is off or at least you have to do some figuring when looking at the daily forecast. For some reason the hourly forecast is not working and has been that way for a week.

Cheers,
    Jay

Default off and on

I've been on that guys mailing list for many years.

The guy that provides input into the site (Charles Deehre?) let the site go for over a year, just came above water for a few emails (get on his mailing list and you'll get more/better info) and lately I'm not sure.

Aurora forecasts are very valuable since the EM energy that causes them takes a long time to get here compared to the speed of light which is which is visually how they know the EM waves are coming our way.

So yeah, it'd be a good thing, except. I'd suggest communicating with Charles directly; there should be contact info there on his site that you've seen or if not let me know and I'll send it to you.

the following link is the primary data that the forecast is based on. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/index.html

all you have to google is NOAA POES. click on the arctic graph to make it larger. Anything over activity level of 4 is getting quite active where it will likely be visible weather providing. you can notice that part of this band which circles the poles is thicker than other parts, and it spins throughout the day, thus we are most active in much of ALaska from midnight on.
    FYI the closer the n value is to one the more accurate the graph is but don't worry much about this. anyhow this satellite feed is better than any other website and is quite user friendly.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. hillbilly