Thread: .378 Weatherby lighter loads

Default .378 Weatherby lighter loads

I just picked up another .378 Weatherby Mk V in a deal I couldn't refuse and thought I would give this round another try - I have not shot one in years but I still remember the punishment with round doses out with full power loads in medium weight gun.

I would like to load the round down to closer to the .375 H&H range of power so I can stand to shoot it more. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with what powders or loads are best for this purpose? I know there are some new powders out there since I last loaded for it some 15 yrs. or so ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If I remember right the hornady reloading manual said to use
    The minimum load listed in the manual anything less could result
    in dangerous hangfires. So with would find a manual or two
    and see what they have for minimum published loads

Default Be good to yourself...

Get that thing ported and you won't have to punish your body with the recoil. My AccuBraked .338-378 is a *****-cat in terms of recoil. Even with maximum loads I'd bet most ten year-olds could tolerate this rifle.

Then you won't worry about shooting lighter loads in the least!

IceKing02

Call Accurate and ask to speak to a ballistician. They will give you super reduced loads for the rifle using their powders.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Brake

The interst in reduced loads is partially due to the fact that the gun is just way over-powered for anything in Alaska. Bullet construction becomes critical at the higher velocities of the .378 and using bullets that don't come apart at close range can cause problems with under expansion. Bullets for .375 H&H velocities are more prediciable.

I've been researching muzzel brakes on the internet and find all sorts of smoke and mirrors but no real figures on noise levels or reduction in recoil.

I'll call Weatherby and see what they can do on installing their brake in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Get that thing ported and you won't have to punish your body with the recoil. My AccuBraked .338-378 is a *****-cat in terms of recoil. Even with maximum loads I'd bet most ten year-olds could tolerate this rifle.

Then you won't worry about shooting lighter loads in the least!

IceKing02
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've been researching muzzel brakes on the internet and find all sorts of smoke and mirrors but no real figures on ... reduction in recoil.
    http://www.weatherby.com/product/accubrake

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I just picked up another .378 Weatherby Mk V in a deal I couldn't refuse and thought I would give this round another try - I have not shot one in years but I still remember the punishment with round doses out with full power loads in medium weight gun.

I would like to load the round down to closer to the .375 H&H range of power so I can stand to shoot it more. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with what powders or loads are best for this purpose? I know there are some new powders out there since I last loaded for it some 15 yrs. or so ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information!
    tvfinak:
    In keeping with my suggestion in the other thread, of loading your 378 Wby down to 375 H&H velocities, I did some lookin in my handloading manuals.

If you want LIGHT loads in the 378, you CAN use IMR 4320 and IMR 4350, and load as light as around 2700 with the lighter bullets, for less recoil. You can use those powders for 300 grain bullets also, but to reduce recoil the most you would want to reduce the bullet weight, too.

You can lose a lot of recoil by going to the lightest bullets, and minimum loads, which would be the ones with the fastest powder that can be used for the cartridge.

I found data in the Lyman 47 th, Nosler #4, and Sierra 50 th Anniversary.

If you need more specific info, for one of these, lemme know, and Iíll post it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Like I said, call Accurate and they'll give yopu data to load down to subsonic.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...