Thread: Nerves of steel elk hunt

Default Nerves of steel elk hunt

Not sure were this happened but thought it was pretty incredible.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qe4x5vavI

I would have been thinking sure hope he don't stomp me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would have been thinking sure hope he don't stomp me.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Default new kind

That is what you call Bowie hunting I would have had to clean myself. wonder if he got it?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    That is what you call Bowie hunting I would have had to clean myself. wonder if he got it?
    I tried to find something else about the hunt but so far I'm unsuccessful.

Default 6x6 bull

What a beautiful 6 point typical bull; what is he, like 4 or 5 years old? Looks like he'd still be even bigger the next year too. He must have had a bit of a cold/flu going on though, to not be able to smell that guy.

Now watch, those guys selling that no-smell-suit on here are going to buy that video and say that's what that bow hunter was wearing!

For getting so close, he sure got an awful shot off at him, if indeed he did release; which isn't shown. That shot would have been best passed up if you ask me.

Default Reminds me of...

Made my first try at archery moose this last season. Found a little bull feeding along the edges of a swamp. Too brushy for me to tell if it was a fork or not, but I had my doubts. With the breeze as it was and the direction he was feeding, I decided to back track about 100 yds and set up on the edge of an ATV trail that went out to the swamp, thinking he would eventually step into the trail between myself and the swamp where I could get a good look and shot if he was legal. I picked a spot about 40 yards from the edge of the swamp and took a knee. Kept hearing him getting closer and closer until he was just on the other side of the spruce tree next to me. He stuck his head out into the trail and stopped. If I were standing I could have reached forward and petted his nose. I could hear him breathing and chewing his last bite of chow. He turned and looked down at me for several seconds, then lifted his head and looked forward continuing to chew. Then he stopped and froze completely still for a moment. He turned and looked down at me again for a few more seconds. The look in his eyes suddenly changed to an expression of panic. He lifted his head and bolted straight across the trail.

He had three points one each side so taking him was not an option. Even if it was I would have never had the opportunity to even draw more or less find the kill zone. Went home with a huge smile on my face that evening. Way cool!!! I'm glad he had instinctive fear and not anger issues.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    What a beautiful 6 point typical bull; what is he, like 4 or 5 years old? Looks like he'd still be even bigger the next year too. He must have had a bit of a cold/flu going on though, to not be able to smell that guy.

Now watch, those guys selling that no-smell-suit on here are going to buy that video and say that's what that bow hunter was wearing!

For getting so close, he sure got an awful shot off at him, if indeed he did release; which isn't shown. That shot would have been best passed up if you ask me.
    Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt...he probably had a cow/calf call in his mouth and chirped a couple of times after coming to draw, very possibly halting the bull while still in bow range. Very often with elk a cow call calms them down.

Default Close Elk

I shot an elk at 4 yards a few years back...and it was quite intense! Amazingly the arrow broke, with the fletch half flying straight back and the business end going through. The arrow was right on but deflected off a rib and went through transversely so that only one lung was clipped and the broadhead was coming out the back in front of the rear quarter. I guess at that close range the arrow must have a had a little wobble in it yet and hitting the rib exacerbated the effect. It is a long story but I ended up finding him alive, well into the next day, far from the where I shot him. And by then we were ready to pack meat, had left bows back at the trailhead and were armed with pepper spray and knives. We fashioned spears and finished the job...even more intense when the elk had enough left to lash out and break our first spear and then rose and stumbled down the mountain, bouncing off trees while we thrust.

I wrote the full story up once for a national mag but I guess its a bit gruesome and certainly not the clean kill we always try for.

-p
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up great point

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt...he probably had a cow/calf call in his mouth and chirped a couple of times after coming to draw, very possibly halting the bull while still in bow range. Very often with elk a cow call calms them down.
    I hope thats exactly what happened. One thing we know, this wasn't his first rodeo.

...Woah!!!

-now, that was exciting to watch!
    -I can't believe how close he got, and then just stayed there-

-thanks for posting that vid clip-

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default 3 yards

I shot one at 3 yards - my closest so far. Didn't have to spear him though. He was dead dead when we came back in the morning. I have missed a crooked horned spike at 4 yards. Who says that Elk can't jump a string?