Thread: Hunting question

Question Hunting question

I am in the process of relocating to Kenai for school and would like to get a basic rundown of what to hunt when.... Maybe a region if you feel like giving me an idea. Any info would be fantastic. I have been doing all the research I can but, I feel the best way to get some "Good" info is to ask around a little.

Wink

For Moose your way, check out the places that have been burned recently or logged. Places like Coho Loop and the Gasline road out of Ninilchick will get you into excellent territory. If you have an ATV, you could do no wrong by going to the burn area out of Homer near Caribou Lake, and the surrounding area that has been logged. Early mornings and late evenings, you can catch some in the bar ditches along any of the main and back roads if you like road hunting. For bears and goats go to the Swanson River country or the back side of Tustemena and Skilak Lakes in the drainages leading to the glaciers.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

In the Kenai area you'll be able to hunt moose from late August through mid September (early August if you're a bowhunter), black bear year-round, though the hides are better in spring and fall, and sheep if you're willing to cover a lot of territory in the mountains. There are also caribou, brown bear, and goats to be hunted on the Kenai Peninsula, but those are mostly by drawing permit only, so you'll have to enter the permit lottery next November for a chance at those. There are a handful of goat permits that they give away after the season if there is still a harvestable surplus (these are called registration permits), but these are generally for difficult to access areas and the hunts take place in November when daylight is short and weather can be brutal. You two most common opportunities will almost certainly be moose in the fall and black bear in the spring and fall. Throw in spruce grouse, ptarmigan, and hare hunting, and you shouldn't have a problem staying busy.

Wink

Another thing you should seriously consider, before getting a place is what the place of residence can offer. You could easily commute to school and live in an area that gives you Priority/Exclusive Hunting Priveleges. Many hunters of the smaller surrounding communities are guraranteed special hunts. Research the locations carefully before you rent or buy. If you choose wrongly, you will end up like the others living in the urban centers. Things are changing rapidly with respect to who is going to eligible for what, this pretty much goes for statewide, but obviously something you should give serious consideration to, before you decide just where to light. Being on one side of the road/river/line can be the difference of being a have or have not.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Sweet deal

Thanks guys.... I am greatfull!

Thumbs up

A good friend just returned from down that way on a weekend snowmachine outing. They went out the Oilwell Road from Ninilchick and said they saw more Moose this year than ever before. Sounds like a decent place to scout out a little more, when you get up here.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~