Thread: floating on a sportboat?

Default floating on a sportboat?

Hi, new to the forum and got a couple questions. I bought a 14' inflatable sportboat (West Marine) for in-shore ocean and lake fishing but I also like to fish the lower Gulkana and Willow. I floated the Gulkana last year from Sailor's Pit to the bridge in it but was weary of damaging the transom or pressurized v hull. Am I worrying too much or is there something I can do to mitigate the risk of damage? I really can't buy another $2K inflatable raft to float down my two favorite fishing areas because I'm saving for construction. I was considering a budget raft like a Sea Eagle 9 if I can't safely use the current boat. My motor is a prop so it won't be used on these trips. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Down wind of 2 Glaciers

I have never been down a river in a sport boat without a motor and From what I understand it's not a good idea and don't think I would. I don't think this is about damage to the transom as much as if you stick it on a rock you could have the river flow right over that transom and sink you. From what I have read on here before is that it's not a good idea.

I have a fishing buddy that has a 16'5" Alaska Series AR500 with a rowing frame and a Honda 40 on the back. He has floated the Kenai (including the Canyon) several times. I know he deflates the inflatable hull while he floats. I am getting the same boat next month and am looking into getting a rowing frame for it. Not sure if this helps. I would like to hear more opinions on this since I am kind of in the same situation as you