Thread: "In Harm's Way" Wounded Soldier Fishing trip

Thumbs up "In Harm's Way" Wounded Soldier Fishing trip

May 9th-13th in Sitka, Ak. This is the 2nd year that we have been involved with this program that has been graciously hosted by Mike & Linda Stilfer of L&M Charters.
    Last year around Easter I sent out a plea for donated airmiles for 7 soldiers coming from Anchorage and going to Sitka. It took 4 days to get these guys a round trip ticket - AND THEY ALL CAME FROM THIS FORUM!

It would have been even less time but Easter Sunday was right in the middle of it. This year I went out on a limb and told Mike that we would be able to handle all 20 of the Soldiers flights. Mind you I didn't say this until I had confirmation that the Air National Guard would be able to handle the flight there and back. As with all things in the Military, things take time and plans change.

We were not part of the changing plans....so here I am asking you fine fellow fisherman and Veterans for some help either raising the money to purchase plane tickets or for you to donate your unused airmiles for these fine soldiers that have been wounded in some way during combat.

According to Priceline.com it is going to cost about $441 dollars per plane ticket if we purchase them with Alaska Airlines.

I do not know what the cost "per destination" for airmiles might be but last year a very generous person was able to purchase 3 round trip tickets with a little over half a million airmiles. He would have been able to do more but he had to convert over to Alaska Airlines and that cost him a bunch of miles as well.

If you would like to help by donation of cash or airmiles please let me know. In order to donate you have to have AT LEAST one leg of the trip covered. Unfortunately we cannot combine smaller amounts of airmiles to make one trip. If you can go from Anchorage to Sitka that would be great, then someone else might be able to do the other half of the trip.

To donate by check: Please make the check out to...

Take a Soldier Fishing
    3378 Eagle Point West Ave
    Belton, Tx 76513

To donate by PayPal or Credit Card please visit www.takeasoldierfishing.com and click on the DONATE button.

***PLEASE ANNOTATE ALASKA ON THE CHECK AND IN THE REMARKS SECTION IF BY PAYPAL***

Any questions or comments please post on here or send me an email at mike@takeasoldierfishing.com or you can call me 254-368-2174 CST (TEXAS TIME)

Thank you once again for all of your support in the past and with this one.

Mike Nashif
    Founder/President

Default the trip was awesome!

I was blessed by this organization last year. This trip was more than I imagined, Mike and Linda treated us like kings. We had a great group of guys and got to take our minds off some things and focus on fishing. This is a great thing you all are doing for us veterans. The whole town of Sitka did everything in their power to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. If you're looking to thank those who have served and help them heal both physical and mental battle scars, this is the way to do it. Your helping hand will not be forgotten! Thank you to all those who have and will continue to support those who are more than willing to lay down their lives for your freedom.

Talking Thanks for posting!

Morgan, thanks for posting. This is a great program and I am glad to help in any way that I can. Let's see what we can get done with all of this for this year and see how many smiles we can get.

Thumbs up good on you and the Take a Soldier Fishing program

Quote Originally Posted by fisterfam View Post
    Last year around Easter I sent out a plea for donated airmiles for 7 soldiers coming from Anchorage and going to Sitka. It took 4 days to get these guys a round trip ticket - AND THEY ALL CAME FROM THIS FORUM!
    That was so great to watch that happen last year here. I hope it can again. Alaskan outdoors men and kind, generous, and wonderful people - they're also very opinionated and free about sharing their thoughts that they know to be irrefutable, which can make for some interesting exchanges on this board.

Fisterfam, I believe you'll have great luck gaining assistance to help these men. What a wonderful thing that you do!

I have had no responses to this post to get some donated airmiles or funds to purchase plane tickets. If you can help, then please do! Thank you for the kind words Familyman. The power of the internet can be astonishing at times.

I'm in. I'll send you a PM.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Thanks AKDoug

Thank you very much AKDoug - I am sure your brother will love this weekend dedicated just for our soldiers!

If anybody else would like to send one of their family members on this fishing trip to Sitka, AK please contact me - WE HAVE ROOM!

Criteria - The person that you wish to send must:
    Be a member of the Armed Forces - Retired or otherwise
    Been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan
    Purple Heart Recipient - or diagnosed with PTSD or TBI (Combat related injury)

If you can pay for their plane ticket then I can get them the accomodations/fishing trip, for their stay in Sitka.

Let's make this happen. It is my understanding that it will cost approx 15,000 airmiles for one way trip and a total of 30,000 airmiles for roundtrip.

What are the dates?... I must've missed it, I'll check my schedule, I'd love to go meet other veterans, (I'll see what it takes to get to Sitka..) I'm using the last of my air miles to send my wife to the Cancer treatment center of America in Phoenix next week.. otherwise, you'd have them.. I looked at the ferry schedule and am utterly confused.. lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Kyle- I'll fix you up if you want to go. I've got plenty of miles to get you to Sitka from Anchorage (and back ) Now, if I can get my brother up from North Carolina I'll be golden

Default Good to hear from you

Hey Kyle how's it going? Hope your wife is doing better or at least the best that you both can.

Doug, if you get Kyles info and book a trip please send me the itinerary as well. I will need to forward it to Mike and Linda to be able to pick him up at the airport.

I haven't heard from you in a while since the TASH site went down. We are revamping it with a different forum (UBB) and trying to make it user friendly. The last one had too much info but no way to really offer land to Vets. We want to make sure that all parties are taken care of when they donate something. Send me an email with an update if you would! Later.

Just a little correction for Mike. It takes (at this time) only 15,000 Alaska Air Miles to get someone to Sitka ROUNDTRIP

Default Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just a little correction for Mike. It takes (at this time) only 15,000 Alaska Air Miles to get someone to Sitka ROUNDTRIP
    Thanks for the correction Doug!

Default how do you donate miles

How do you donate miles for this trip. I have a few to spare..

Ed

Arrow How to donate your airmiles

Ed, it was good to talk with you on the phone and thank you for being part of something much bigger than we are!

Right now I am waiting for a list from my guy that works with all of the Wounded Soldiers in Fiarbanks. Once I have that list, then I will be able to match names with donors.

Currently it takes 7500 airmiles on Alaska Airlines to cover one leg of the trip for one of these guys.

It would then be 15,000 airmiles for one roundtrip ticket.

If you can cover one leg or the whole trip then please send me an email. I will add you to the list of ever growing donors. Once I get the list of Soldiers' names, I will then send you an email with your soldiers' name so that you can book the trip.
    Once the trip has been booked then you send me the itinerary via email so that I can forward it on to Mike and Linda at L&M Charters to ensure that your soldier gets picked up at the airport and taken care of.

If you wish to purchase a plane ticket please follow the same instructions as above.

If you have a family member or yourself that has been injured in combat and you would like for them to attend this fishing trip then you are welcome to sign up. Send me an email first so that we can exchange documentation (proving your injuries and service to our country) and get the trip set up for you. You will need to send me a copy of your Military ID card and some sort of docment showing your combat related injury. Most people send a copy of their Purple Heart award or a copy of their DD214.
    If you have any questions please send me an email at mike@takeasoldierfishing.com or you can call me at 254-368-2174.

Thank you once again for all of your support with this and of our Soldiers.

Mike Nashif

Default UPDATE March 22

Hello everyone. Just wanted to give ya'll an update as to what has been going on.
    Currently we have 2 roundtrip tickets that will be booked once I get the list of names from Ft Wainwright. For some reason I have had some issues getting a list of names but I should have a list in the next couple of days. I also have a 1/2 trip (one leg of the trip) that will be booked for a soldier as well. I talked with Mike from L&M Charters and he has asked if we can fill 10 spots for him then he would be in great shape. That leave us with 7.5 trips to book. I will get you the list as soon as I get it and I will post it on here.
    Again if you have a family member that has served our wonderful country and you would like to purchase a ticket for them then please contact me so that we can make the arrangements. They must have been diagnosed with PTSD or TBI or have been wounded in combat. Thanks again for everything. Mike

Default See new thread

See new thread for the latest update!