Thread: Any notable gardens in MatSu for visitors?

Default Any notable gardens in MatSu for visitors?

Can anyone recommend an interesting garden for visitors to view in the Mat Su area? My wife and I want to see the type of garden that we cannot see anywhere else. Any help would be appreciated.

PS - We are from Austin, Texas, and it is getting up in the 70s now, lows in the 50s. We planted onions 3 weeks ago, and are replacing lawn sod next weekend. It's interesting to see the Alaska posts coming from a much colder perspective.

This is a good place to start. I don't think we have any sort of public botanical garden in the Valley. There is one in Anchorage though.

http://community.adn.com/node/142788
    That's what she said...

the palmer visitor's center, located right next to the old train depot, has a very nice visitor's garden. Can't miss it in downtown palmer.

Also the Alaska State fair exhibits in august are very worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    This is a good place to start. I don't think we have any sort of public botanical garden in the Valley. There is one in Anchorage though.

http://community.adn.com/node/142788
    Thanks for the info, that gives me some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    the palmer visitor's center, located right next to the old train depot, has a very nice visitor's garden. Can't miss it in downtown palmer.

Also the Alaska State fair exhibits in august are very worthwhile.

I would love to make it to the fair, but won't be there in August.

I've heard about the palmer visitor's center a couple of times before, I guess I better put that on the itinerary. Thanks for the info.

Sometimes the Experimental Farm on Trunk Road puts together several raised beds of various plantings along the road. I'm not sure if they do it every summer or not.

Pehudson,

If you are gonna be in the Palmer area, do not forget about the reindeer farm nearby!

Try Coyote Gardens off of Hatcher Pass road. I visited during the Willow garden tour last year. Let me tell you it was like a fantasy land.