Thread: Salmon Shark fishing guides for 2010?

Default Salmon Shark fishing guides for 2010?

Hi guys,
    Have pretty much filled my bucket list so starting a new one.

Catch a halibut over 200# ( and bring it in..have caught them, just have not been strong enough to bring it in!! dang...) is one but the top one is....

I would like to go fishing for those great big salmon sharks. Any suggestions on guides? Out of Seward the best?

I have been lifting weights to get into shape :-)

I am not even sure it is physically possible for this little old lady in her 50's but I woudl like to try..

simple things for simple people...

appreciate any suggestions on guides. June or July right?
    Planning ahead...

Muchas Gracias..

Flyergirl

Smile

As a personal preference I really don't condon shark fishing, but I do know there are some reputable outfits that offer a fairly good package to get one. Just be sure they know how to catch, secure and care for the meat if you get one. Its quite the process if you want to save and consume it. I'm in to catch and release of these animals myself. Have fun and checkout some guides out of Valdez.

I have paid charter guys twice out of Valdez for shark charters. 2 trips 0 hook ups. I booked with fish central both times and went with different boats each time. Not saying they are not what they say they are but I will not use them again. There were other boats in the area and we saw more hook up than not. Valdez is the place to shark fish but with who is your guess.

http://www.orioncharters.com/

These guys seem to get their fish and seem to have good practices in meat care. I haven`t been out with them but according to their data they do good on big fish but run about 100 miles or 3 hours each way to get on nearly unfished grounds. They do have a little clause about being in good shape do to the rough waters of the gulf and of course the beating a big halibut or shark will give you.

ok thanks!! Looks like I coudl do a catch and release on them.. better start lifting biger weights i guess...:-)

Default sharks

They do pull hard...but my wife hooked and landed a smaller male in 10 minutes - - I am not sure that he knew he was hooked when I put the bangstick to him.

PM me - I can tell you who NOT to go with........unless you like hungover captains that keep your jaws and the mounting fee for them.

has anyone gone out of Seward? that s a lot closer to me than Valdez.

I hooked one shark in Thumb Cove (Seward) 2 years ago silver fishing...that was a hoot but short lived on 14lb. gear.

Default Salmon Shark fishing guides for 2010

If Whittier is an option Matt at http://www.fishwhittier.com/ will do a good job and is a very responsible captain and fisherman.

www.saltwatersafari.com check out their gallery

Default drop me a pm

Send me a pm and I can relay my experience and opinions.

I have fished once out of Seward and twice out of Valdez. I'm also trying to put something together again for this year with a friend that is coming into town.

I fished with Orion Charters out of Valdez. Awesome outfit, great captain. Everyone got to land at least one shark. I landed two, killed one, he did a great job caring for the meat. Most every fisherman aboard got to fight 2-4 sharks.

Long ride to/from the fishing grounds, but worth it. Highly recommend!

Default Whittier Marine

Matt knows his stuff. He is in my opinion the shark guru in Whittier. I send all my clients that want shark his way. He's a marine bioligist also I believe.
    It's a long ride out to shark grounds no nmatter which port you chose, but Whittier is only a little over an hour from Anchorage.
    Captain Rich
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

thanks guys..I will consider Whittier... I am on the Peninsula so hoping Seward would work as it as not as far to drive for me.

Default Note

If the guys out of Whitter go East they are fishing the same area's as the guys from Valdez. I do not fish sharks but the main thing you need for sharks is a good salmon run. Last years pink run in Valdez was poor. It was reported that Homer had a big increase in Salmon Sharks last year.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    If the guys out of Whitter go East they are fishing the same area's as the guys from Valdez. I do not fish sharks but the main thing you need for sharks is a good salmon run. Last years pink run in Valdez was poor. It was reported that Homer had a big increase in Salmon Sharks last year.
    I believe the people that target the sharks that start from Seward, Whittier, and Valdez all end up at the same fishing grounds. I have never targeted them, either, but have seen them in action as well as some awesome video footage. Might have to give it a shot this July.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Orion charters

We went with these guys several yrs ago to find out what to do and how to handle the fish before we tackeled it on our own. They are a top notch group and will get you your fish. Now we take a yearly trip for a week with our own boats and have a blast. Take a look at my photo album under the shark folder and you'll get an idea of average size. They are a blast to catch and they are mighty tastey too. We usually only keep 2 and release the others. Make sure you eat your weaties before you go, they'll give you back problems if you don't already have them.

Thank you guys so much for the info!! sounds like July this lady will be playing with sharks!! and I REALLY really appreciate the PM info on the boats and capts.

Alaska guys are the best!

Flyergirl