Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Ag Project.

  1. #1
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default The Ag Project.

    The Ag Project,

    O.K. there seem's to be alot of attention on this right now.

    Right now it seem's the buff are the problem, however the moose could be having the same effect, or maybe it's the geese or crane's, or maybe some of you don't evan have a clue about what the insect's do to the said crop's.

    How many of you remember, I think it was about 15 year's ago when the grasshopper's where so thick you had to use your windshield wiper's just to drive down Sawmill Creek Rd? ( I took off out one of the fields in a plane, and before we were half way down the strip the windshield was covered and the wiper's could'nt keep up)

    I'm not saying that the project can't work, but it will olny work if everybody work's together.

    I'm totaly against the reduction of the herd as to what the org. herd size was ment to be held at. To blame the whole thing on the buff is wrong. I don't want to voice my whole opion on here at the moment, but for those of you out there, it's already been posted on here once what you put into it and give back, it could be your downfall if you ar'nt willing to see the other side.

  2. #2

    Default

    What is this "Ag Project"? where can I read up on it?

  3. #3
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Just type in, Delta Jct. Alaska. Ag project in any search engine, and you will read for days.

  4. #4

    Wink

    Every viable Ag Project all around the world have one thing in common. They are fenced. The one's that aren't are always in the news. Like Delta, Dakota (near Custer State Park), etc. The ones that are fenced are never in the news. No one likes fences, but they do make good neighbors. Shoot even third world countries in Africa know they have to fence their food plots, but these folks never went to school, so.....Just sayin'.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    fishhook, ak
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Every viable Ag Project all around the world have one thing in common. They are fenced.

    you sure do sound like a farming expert. it is pretty clear to me that you don't have a clue what you're talking about sometimes. potatoes do not need to be fenced on a majority of farms in the world. same for most other crops. thanks for the opinion but add something substantial.


    I do think it is up to the farmers to fence fields if they want to protect their crops.

    There is no easy option for managing the buffs today. The farmers could fence their crops if they really wanted to. But the bottom line is it probably won't be worth the money to protect the crops with the cost of the fencing for just grain. And the farmers really don't want to fence their moose, grouse, furbearer range as well. They just want the buffs out. But it's become pretty clear that the buffs don't want out, don't like all the projects we've tried. And the moose aren't exactly innocent in the crop damage either.

    Working groups are nice but mostly they help us acknowledge where our values conflict and we often have a hard time accepting changes after we agree to disagree.




    By the way people act like it's a travesty when Alaska tries to help subsidize its farmers with loans and the like but we've been doing the same things in the rest of the country since it was founded.

    And one thing farming in Alaska does tend to do...is create a lot of really nice second growth browse, edges, corridors, niches. Good hunting habitat.


    Be thankful for the farms

  6. #6

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    And the moose aren't exactly innocent in the crop damage either.
    Comon' bob, the farmers aren't complaining about the moose, so why even distract the attention of the problem. If you know nothing about the problems of farming in Alaska, then just say so, or read up on it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    fishhook, ak
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    charlie knight of the division of agriculture did a crop damage assessment this fall in the fields, as well as a written survey of farmers to assess crop damages. he has stated repeatedly that you can't tell what percentage of the damage is caused by the bison and what percentage is caused by moose.

  8. #8

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    charlie knight of the division of agriculture did a crop damage assessment this fall in the fields, as well as a written survey of farmers to assess crop damages. he has stated repeatedly that you can't tell what percentage of the damage is caused by the bison and what percentage is caused by moose.
    This is why you NEVER trust what one guy has to say after "his" survey. You rely on the the evidence you know to be accurate. Agenda's get in the way of facts...often. Knight wants one thing...a good retirement pension. Likely you knew that already.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •