Thread: Leaving Anchorage for Ketchikan?

Default Leaving Anchorage for Ketchikan?

So my wife and I are considering a move to Ketchikan from the Anchorage area. We will have been living around Anchorage for two years. So we're just sort of wondering, is this a crazy idea? We'd have jobs (or we wouldn't go) and the housing looks more affordable, but we really, really like southcentral and above.

So what's the deal? No moose hunting? Do you absolutely have to have a boat to get anywhere? Does it really rain every day? Basically, we like to hike, camp, hunt, and fly fish. Is this the place for us or should we hold out for the Kenai or somewhere in the Bush?

A boat is mandatory in Ketchikan. A skiff is the bare minimum. If you don't have a boat, skiff rentals are available from Knudson Cove marina for cheap. After a few trips out, you will own one.

Deer are plentiful, especially if you have a boat.

The access granted from Ketchikan is awesome. You can hop the ferry to POW if you get tired of not having roads.

You can also gaze at the wonderful use of taxpayer dollars on Gravina. It's awesome to see a major highway going from a gravel pile to another gravel pile.

It keeps us excited for April 15th!!!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    So my wife and I are considering a move to Ketchikan from the Anchorage area. We will have been living around Anchorage for two years. So we're just sort of wondering, is this a crazy idea?YES! We'd have jobs (or we wouldn't go) and the housing looks more affordable, but we really, really like southcentral and above.

So what's the deal? No moose hunting?(YES & NO) THERE ARE A FEW MOOSE UP THE UNUK RIVER SYSTEM-NOT MORE THAN A COUPLE OF YEAR ARE TAKEN, OR YOU GO TO THE STIKINE BY WRANGELLDo you absolutely have to have a boat to get anywhere?(NO, BUT IT HELPS, YOU CAN FLY OR CATCH THE FERRY TO POW AS PHISH MENTIONED Does it really rain every day?NO, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT Basically, we like to hike, camp, hunt, and fly fish. Is this the place for us or should we hold out for the Kenai or somewhere in the Bush?ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION.

Default what rain

Does it really rain every day?

well ... we are just going over 3 feet of rains since jan 1st ... that's right 3 feet = 36 inches ... and that's the stuff that fell into the rain gauge ...

we don't count the horizontal stuff ....

Thanks for the responses, all very helpful. Man, looking at POW island on a map.... Wow, that looks awesome.

I have always needed an excuse to HAVE to buy a boat, so this just might be it.

Also, 3 feet of rain since Jan 1. What the heck. I don't even understand that. I might have to not pass that fact along.

Thanks for the responses, all very helpful. Man, looking at POW island on a map.... Wow, that looks awesome.

I have always needed an excuse to HAVE to buy a boat, so this just might be it.

Also, 3 feet of rain since Jan 1. What the heck. I don't even understand that. I might have to not pass that fact along.

You probably don't want to pass along the average yearly total of 15' either.

Default October monsoons

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I thought we got that much just in October .....

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I thought we got that much just in October .....
    It did seem like it......

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    So when it's sunny does everyone take off of work and school like it's a holiday?

Default shadows scare

So when it's sunny does everyone take off of work and school like it's a holiday?
    No they run and hide !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    No they run and hide !!!!!!
    I didn't run and hide the one sunny day we had last year.

Default I did it....

My wife and I moved down here to The Rock a year ago and we have loved it. (Caveat: we're moving but to SC AK, Homer to be exact, but not because we couldn't take it here.)

This past summer was gorgeous with many, many days of bluebird sky weather and record temps above 80 degrees.

I was without a boat in the fall, so I was stuck on the road system coming deer season, and although I loved getting to know specific areas that were recommended to hunt, I never saw a deer this fall here (although there was plenty of sign).

I agree that if you don't own a boat here, there's something wrong with you. Plus you will just never get to experience all there is to experience. It really is a "boat town" (with 6 harbors), and destinations that allow only boat access.

Shopping here is okay. We missed the variety which spoiled us in Anchorage, but there's a Safeway with weekly sales, and the WalMart. We spend about $100 a week on groceries, $950 a month on a 1-bedroom apartment that includes electric, and because there's only 30 miles of road, we hardly ever buy gas (right now $3.15 per gallon).

That said, it can be expensive to fly out of here because it's Alaska Airlines and Alaska Airlines servicing KTN. But it's expensive anywhere you live in AK.

We saw the move here as a big adventure and it has been that. A friendly town with a vibrant winter arts atmosphere, with incredibly summer fishing possibilities.

Anyway, it's not a goofy idea if we did it and you will not regret it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    My wife and I moved down here to The Rock a year ago and we have loved it. (Caveat: we're moving but to SC AK, Homer to be exact, but not because we couldn't take it here.)

This past summer was gorgeous with many, many days of bluebird sky weather and record temps above 80 degrees.

I was without a boat in the fall, so I was stuck on the road system coming deer season, and although I loved getting to know specific areas that were recommended to hunt, I never saw a deer this fall here (although there was plenty of sign).

I agree that if you don't own a boat here, there's something wrong with you. Plus you will just never get to experience all there is to experience. It really is a "boat town" (with 6 harbors), and destinations that allow only boat access.

Shopping here is okay. We missed the variety which spoiled us in Anchorage, but there's a Safeway with weekly sales, and the WalMart. We spend about $100 a week on groceries, $950 a month on a 1-bedroom apartment that includes electric, and because there's only 30 miles of road, we hardly ever buy gas (right now $3.15 per gallon).

That said, it can be expensive to fly out of here because it's Alaska Airlines and Alaska Airlines servicing KTN. But it's expensive anywhere you live in AK.

We saw the move here as a big adventure and it has been that. A friendly town with a vibrant winter arts atmosphere, with incredibly summer fishing possibilities.

Quit lying about those days Jim, we don't want everyone moving here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post

Thanks for the info. Pretty funny that your gas is cheaper than in SC.

Thanks for the info. Pretty funny that your gas is cheaper than in SC.
    It's usually the other way around, but the past 1 year or so it's been cheaper.

ps. it's $3.10 a gallon 12 miles out of town.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 03-09-2010 at 13:26. Reason: added info

Default what ?

I thought it was over $5.00 a half gallon

and WHAT bluebird sky weather and record temps above 80 degrees.

I must have been taking a nap !!!!!!

Default oh crap...

I thought this was the BIG Island thread....sorry!