Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overcoming rifle prejudices

Default Overcoming rifle prejudices

I have recently been rethinking how I feel about different brands and calibers of rifles. I would be the first to admit that I have bought brands and selected calibers based much on emotion and the options of others. For years I have shunned the venerable 30-06 Springfield, for no good reason other than in my youth, my Uncle told me it was not a very good choice for deer. It would seem that brand and caliber loyalties run deep and appear to be handed down from father to son. For the last few years I have made an effort to expand my comfort zone and try some new brands and calibers as well as different platforms, ie bolt rifles, lever guns, and even auto-loaders.

I wasn't raised around rifles other than a few shotguns and 22s. I learned to hunt big game with a bow and have only been rifle hunting for the last 10 years or so. Being raised in the south, to me a 300 Win Mag was a BIG BORE. I also made the mistake of shooting a .338 Win Mag that was improperly setup and had the recoil of a Howitzer. That experience made me recoil shy for years. As a matter of fact, I have only recently discovered that not all large bores recoil as extremely.

I recently purchased a Marlin Guide Gun in 45 70 Gov. It is still early to say that I'm in love, but I do really like the feel and handling of it and I found the recoil on this ported model to by quite manageable.

I'm going to continue to experiment with different brands and calibers, however I'm seeing a trend starting to develop. For me the Winchester Model 70 in CRF seems to be my bolt rifle of choice.

So what are your rifle prejudices and why?

Steve

My prejudice is for rifles that I have scuffed up real good. Beat them in the bushes and bounce them off rocks, and they grow a "charm" of their own, no matter what anyone else thinks of them. I kinda enjoy dragging along my ratty old 30-40 Krag when I know I'm going to be hunting with a rifle snob. Do a good job hunting with that old tin can of a gun, and the snobs kinda run out of things to talk about.

Basically brands and calibers don't' mean much to me on the range, because guns have to earn my love on hunts. Once they do I'm real loyal, and I don't really care what the next guy is using.

Default I guess

I do have a rifle prejudice that's bugging me. I thought, for awhile, that the anti-compensator crowd was a bit rabid. The more time I actually spend shooting, the more I'm being converted. Somedays at the range, it's just punishing to have anyone within 30' of you with a compensator, particularly with any backwards porting. You're just lining up to send anywhere from $1-5 down range and it feels like someone smacks you in the side of the head! If you're standing near a 55 gallon drum when they go off, you can actually hear the drum resonate! I've still got a few compensated rifles, but I'm actually feeling bad about using them around people and they're Godawful on my hearing, there's a huge difference.

I'm also not too fond of the hard slick plastic stuff. Just a preference, no matter what. I really like how Remington and Browning have put soft surfaces on their composite stocks. I hear they're even putting out laminated wood products for the black gun crowd!

Any bad rifles? Well, only the ones people send money to the chicom for... that's going to hurt.

I never was a winchester fan. I plain ole dont like them. I dont know why, I have owned some but I ended up selling them right away. The 2 I had just didnt shoot worth a crap.

There is nothing wrong with winchesters and alot of folks follow them like a cult, just not my gig and I doubt I will ever own one.

I have found that a $10,000 rifle seldom shoots its cost better than a $300 rifle.Brand names are just that in our moden world and factories turn out guns for the buck insted of pride of name and product.Lifetime warrenties are worthless to the longtime owner and should now be called life of the company warrenty. No modern cartridge really out preforms the one its supposed to replace.

Thumbs up

Just like you Steve, alot of youngsters (incl. myself) heard a relative/dad's buddy that might of "knew it all about guns/hunting", say something derogatory about an actually rather fine gun/caliber. Of course being young, ambitious and impressionable, you ate it up as gospel. I did too. That person probably never told you or other folks that the reason they had a bad experience or didn't like it was because they "lost" a deer with that particular setup, and it was due to a bad shot, buckfever, not steady when firing, not sighted in correctly, or whatever, and instead of blaming themselves, the gun got the blame and the bad rap.
    I heard it too about certain gun manufacturers back "then", yet after my own findings later on in life, I have some of "those" guns that certains folks said were crap. Trust me, they're working just fine and I wouldn't trade them for the world. The ought-six not a good deer gun? Now your laughing at that statement, right?
    It's like the "magnum" phase people constantly go through. Some folks just won't have any gun in their safe unless its got this magnum monniker stamped on it. I say, whatever... I've got both and hunt with both. They both work just fine.
    I think after opening one's mind, asking the right questions from actual gun experts, shooting different guns yourself, read some reloading books, hit the gun shops, and realizing things first hand will either squash or enforce those prejudices. You never know until you try.
    As a youngster, folks always told me that if it wasn't a Remington 700, it wasn't s**t. So after "opening my mind" and getting brought up to speed so to speak, in 1988, I bought a push feed model 70 Winchester in .338WM to try something different and never looked back. That was 22 yrs ago and that is still today, my go-to gun. Best call I ever made. Been through 3 stocks and 2 scopes, some brutal hunts and BAD weather and she's still sub MOA at the range. She's about to get a little facelift from Ak Custom, just to say thanks. I ain't even close to done with her yet.
    Like you said, expand your comfort zone. Go with your gut. Once you do that, you'll be plesently surprised. You'll also end up with more guns than you'll know what to do with. I did. And that's a good thing...
    I also hated "lever" guns because of just this reason. I too have that same 45-70 as you and it ROCKS! I'm currently looking at a 30-30. Can't wait! How times change...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have found that a $10,000 rifle seldom shoots its cost better than a $300 rifle.Brand names are just that in our moden world and factories turn out guns for the buck insted of pride of name and product.Lifetime warrenties are worthless to the longtime owner and should now be called life of the company warrenty. No modern cartridge really out preforms the one its supposed to replace.
    I'll second that! I was raised different than most rifle snobs I guess. My first I got for my 6th birthday was a 7.7 Jap from a rusty surplus keg and Dad helped me sport it for hunting. A couple years later I had saved up enough to buy a model 94 30wcf with a busted stock from a horse landing on it. I love to find a diamond in the rough kind of gun, fix her up and make an ole friend of it. Hand me a $3000 fancy rifle, I will just not be able to fall in love with it so will sell it and buy a batch of pitiful battered things with history behind them that need me to patch them up. It makes no difference what brand it is but that its done and seen things and its little stories are written all over it. I do prefer levers, brakes, autos, and pumps over bolts but my friends come in all creeds, colors, and types . . . have yet to lay hands on a gun I couldnít find something to like about.

When I go hunting with someone that shows up with a rusty old rifle that they have put their effort into instead of just plopping down cash they have my instant respect. Likewise a guy that shows up with a cheap but functional working manís gun, (like a Savage) weather thatís all they can afford or all they want . . . it gives me a good feeling about him.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I won't own a Rem 700 - saw 2 of them misfire and heard about alot more - Can't get that out of my mind - Can't imagine needing more than my Winchester 70's for big game.

Default You know what really grinds my gears?!

Those that complain about the noise from others firing thier guns! I have no sympathy for someone who approaches me about the muzzle breaks when they have no hearing protection on! I have a large jar of ear plugs (all new...i dont recycle them ) for anyone who didn't bring them, but I also have earmuffs for when the folks shoot those BMG's!

The shockwave from a 300WM is enough to make you jump...regardless muzzle break or not! This topic gets me all hot an' bothered...so i tried to keep it on the tame side. I guess it isn't a rifle prejudice and I really have no desire to overcome it, since I feel I am right! hahahahah!

Sorry to those that may be offended.

Never held a rifle I couldn't find something about it to like. With that said, I don't particulary care for three position safetys.

I'm still trying to get over my bias against rifles without control round feeding or 3-position safeties. I'd like to get a Rem 700 in 264WM to get over all of that!

I now hunt with stainless/synthetic, but I don't like it. To me, a "real rifle" is a blued/wood bolt action rifle. It seems to me though that in the last several years that all the companies have forgot about fit and finish, I guess they assume everybody is just gonna put a synthetic stock on it anyways. It started when Winchester started going to crap, hopefully now they are reversing the trend.

Made in the USA!!!!! Big one there for me, kinda bothers me that Winchester is not American owned, but atleast they are American made. Ruger and Smith & Wesson get big brownie points here.

I also don't like used guns, I am getting a little better, but if there is a dent in the stock, I like to have been the person to put it there.

So yeah, I got some weird quirks about guns, makes it kind of hard to find what I like, but I still manage to pick up one here and there

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

As long as it goes bang it is of interest to me. They ask at the grocery store if you want wood or plastic. I don't really give a hoot which I get. Cuses I'll change it to what I want for that application anyway. Stainless or chrome moly I feel the same way about. As far as rifles with compensators on them, I hate the darn things and feel that people that think they need then should not hunt with that ctg anyway. I have used ear plugs and shooting muffs and still had to climb into the truck to get away from them. Just don't blast them off under and over hanging roof is all I ask.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have tried several brands of rifles over the years and have found what works for me. Big expensive just isn't my style, I use, but do not abuse my guns. No safe queens here! Sure I like the look of some of those $3000.00 rifles, but I'd cry if I scratched it up or dinged it and I bet I can shoot my Ruger M77 just as good.
    I don't like Winchesters as of late, Brownings used to be over priced for me, but they have some lines out the past few years that look intriguing. Remington 700's bolt handles just don't feel right and so after I have seen friends 700's misfire and have issues plus the recall, I don't go for them.
    Marlin and Savage for pure utility on the low end. Ruger's line of rifles just seem to fit and the bolt handle feels good, plus they aren't the worst looking of the bunch in my opinion and they are American made. Solid actions and tough as nails.
    Just some ramblings...

Mountaintrekker

Default guns

Some are made with obvious attention to detail with skilled application of the craft. Others are simply a manufacturing output with no human attention at all to the final product.
    I have come to appreciate the details but simply cannot afford to be too picky.
    I place a high priority for the basic mechanical features of the bolt rifle. Positive extraction is paramount with full controlled feeding coming in second. I also like a real firing pin safety of any sort.
    A good Mauser will do for me just about anytime but I have never shot a lever 45-70.

I used to think that you just had to have a certain gun or cartridge or you just weren't in the know about guns. 50 years of using different guns and calibers has taught me there is more than one way to look at things. I used to hate cowboy type guns. Now I have 6 or 7 and find them to be fun usefull tools. I thought the 7mm Rem Mag was the ultimate round. Now there are only a few guns/cals that I don't have much use for. There are still a few that I'm especially fond of more because they fit my style of hunting/shooting than that I think they are better than something else. A M92Win in 25/20 is just neat. Pre64 Win in 300H&H a classic. Ruger MKI target with scope is a small game getter for sure. There are a few things that I probably never will like. 22mag to me is worthless as a 25/20 or 22H with cast will out perform it and cheaper too. I've never liked the lump on the bottom of Marlins that the lever attaches to. Now the Marlin is not a bad gun but I just can't get past that ugly lump. Some prejudicies just won't go away.

i guess in the area that iam most prejudices about is the american rifles after liveing in Germany when i was in the military to see great the high Quality end of there hunting rifle compared to our rifles and i have a soft spot in my heart for a three barrel drilling set up . it was in 22.hornet and 9.3 i think that was the cal and 20.ga shotgun for around hunting there on the hunting club ground i belong to ..the barrels that had been cut back to 18.inchs for faster handleing in the woods i thought but found out later that the person before me who was useing it had miss up the barrels and the gunsmith had to cut them down to the 18.inch length after the last 4 inchs on the barrels where missed up from him doing something with them along with a fixed power scope for hunting along with a sling it was a great hunting weapon to carry in the field for we carryed the scope in the backpack and mounted it as it was need for the diff game that we where going to hunt ...it was my first hunting weapon i got to hunt with in Germany after takeing the exam to get my hunting lics along with the club i joined intill i could bring over my rifle for hunting and just fell in loved with the German Quality of the hunting weapons there

so iam a little prejudices againest Amercian rifle for that reason

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    22mag to me is worthless as a 25/20 or 22H with cast will out perform it and cheaper too.
    I hear ya, I was just talking about that with a friend at the show today. He picked up a very nice rifle and was falling in love till I pointed out that he could buy a 223 off the next bench for the same money and shoot it cheaper than that 22mag. Now if that fine rifle had been 22lr I could see having it. It's not that there is anything wrong with 22mag but that I just don't see any point when there are better rounds all over for the same ammo money or even less.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I've never liked the lump on the bottom of Marlins that the lever attaches to.
    Nothing 'bad' about Marlin in my book ether but that lump and me don't quite see eye to eye. It goes beyond looks for me though, like everything in life itís a give and take deal. That bump makes them easy to take down but makes the lever travel in a wide arc thatís less comfortable to me than the Winchesters. Also they just donít slick up as nice as the more complex but slightly weaker Winchester type actions ether. So I would prefer a Winchester or a clone but sure donít roll my eyes at the rock solid Marlins ether.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yeah Andy, I like 22s a lot but the 22mag just doesn't get it for me. I have 13 22s unless I forgot about some. I also have 2 22Mags but don't shoot them because of ammo cost. Oh , also the modern Rossi M92 will handel the 454 at over 60,000psi. Not a weak sister at all. All in all though, there have only been a couple of guns I didn't like.

I will acknowledge that prejudices are often wrong.

But I simply do not like AR's. I know they are good guns. But I cannot get into all this tactical hooplah that dominates the market these days.

To me those guns are no different than the little Japanese cars driven by teenagers with body kits and spoilers glued on them. They are not really the best choice for any particular application (other than military and LE for which they were designed) but just give the user something to ACCESSORIZE.

And this isn't an age thing. I'm only 33.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast