Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever done a moose hunt in tok area?

Default Anyone ever done a moose hunt in tok area?

Me and some buddies of mine from Southeast are planning a hunt in the tok area...anyone ever hunted out of there before...If so got any tips or advice for dropp'n a legal bull?

Default yeah!

I say find one,..... and shoot it!
    You will get alot more help if you share more info, weapon? how many guys? experience? budget? etc.

I'll be hunting the area for caribou this year if you can wait til after sept for advice.

Densities are really low. You can go up towards Chicken and hunt off of the road there if you can hike well. Fly out would be your best bet though.

Don't be one of those *********s driving four wheelers all over hell and back tearing everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by akreferman View Post
    Me and some buddies of mine from Southeast are planning a hunt in the tok area...anyone ever hunted out of there before...If so got any tips or advice for dropp'n a legal bull?
    i would personally hunt the denali highway as opposed to the tok area...if you can get back into johnson river i know some friends that did pretty good there last year....forkies.....either that or the delta area would be much more productive in my opinion

Release Lake Trout

Default Another Option

I had some buddies from POW go to my old stomping grounds near Dillingham and they got a 66" and called it good. Pay to fly out, I would steer clear of Chicken due to densities. That said if you're ferrying up, Chicken would be a fun, cheap trip especially if you could also get a bou. Walk in area is probably your best bet.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default many sucessful moose hunts in tok

yes i hunted the area. i recommend flying with 40 mile air and also, listening to what and where they suggest. there are a few hunts that have fish and wildlife cabins available. the flights are fiarly reasonable in price. they do cater a lot to sheep hunters. the gear involved and in general the difference in the two types of hunts leads them to look at sheep hunters more favorable. but.........since your going moose hunting-

there is, or atleast was recently, a lot of any bull area's. so you won't have to worry about counting tines or figuring the size of the antlers; however, many a hunters will shoot smaller bulls early in the hunt and watch the big ones for the rest of the hunt. also, last time i was there i was cow calling and called in a grizz. i did not know what had charged up behing me in the thick brush. i never saw it- coming or going. one of my hunting partners saw it (the grizz come up behind me-even into the wind he came and turned away maybe 20 feet shy of me in this deep thickect as i struggled to see him.

now that was quite an experience!

anyway, last one i got there was about 2007. the biggest i got there was 63&3/4 smallest was 52. also a friend and brother harvested fine bulls there too. one friend got a 64" that had a battled scared rack. i know the preditors were on the rise there, and you going there now maybe not as good as it was then- or it will be again with the wildlife management approach that has come and will continue in those areas.

the chicken ridge caribou hunt became such a bebacle. so many hunter were going in further and further to chase the heard that the last year i went, the game managers said the heard turned around because of that. i also saw some dead bou at the bottom of a valley. the only thing missing was there racks. the kind of thing that sicken's you. you know? and yes the cops were on it. but to stay on track. the fall colors around that part of the state can be quite magnificent.

i would see bulls there every year, and we took bulls every year, but we'd just take one that was the deal. one was plenty, to keep the future in tact. also last one we shot, the gut pile got hit by wolves within 2 days. some nice looking wolves too. at least one all black and one white. i don't know much about wolves but they were beautiful. maybe 6-8 in the pack. i did squeeze off a shot which rattled a twig maybe 15 feet in front of my scope..........and well you know the rest.........

so in conclusion, it really depends on what you want....and what vanessa or reif at 40 miles tells you. atleast that is what i would do.....i would ask them. and then go with your gut. they are pretty much straight with you. and i saw other hunters take bulls out of there that went, if i remember 72, 74,75. some very nice bou too. ask the folks at 40 mile!

if you just want a bull, they have any bull, and i say go for it! if your looking for a wall hangerlike mine, i think maybe 3 to 4 years down the road. possibly 5 to 6 years after predator control. after all it just began so the rebound is coming.

also plenty of water there so use it. some places there have boats, but if you have to fly in floatation do it. there are too many tussocks and muskeg to haul meat on your back too much. and good luck on whatever you do. if you know more about exactly where your going, i'll try to help more. there is a guide/ air taxi out of nebesna, but the two taxi's and other do co-ordinate with each other, so you should get an area all to yourself. some do have success from the road, but that is just not my style. (ie- see chicken ridge above) i'll always have love for that area. i highly reccomend it, but your timing maybe off, i do not know as i am out of the hunt 3 years now. and timing is not really important. is it?

hmm sounds like a great area from your perspective....from all my accounts and things ive heard it sucks for moose hunting. the wolves have pretty much cleaned the area out of late...i work for a taxidermy shop, all the guys we've met that hunted that portion of the state (guided and nonguided) had a really hard time locating good bulls and success rate was at an overall low....my good friends hunted the bou up there in chicken last year, they spent 2 days there and didnt see one moose. they did kill some really really nice bull bous though near Boundary. see forum member Kotton profile for the pics.

Release Lake Trout

hooternanny,
    Tried to send you a PM, but you have that option disabled. I would like to talk to you about the Tok area.
    Thanks,
    Knute

Default Passport

So....

Do use SE guys need a passport now to use the ferry system and road to run up to Tok from Haines?

Default Tok Area

Yeah every year. But as said the moose densities are low here especially in the easy access areas. Your best bet as mentioned is a flyout with 40 Mile Air especially if you are not familiar with the area. Leif & Randy do a good job of getting you into a decent area. And the nice thing is you probably won't have company.

Possibly the biggest problem for you will be that a vast amount of the land especially the lands boardering the highways in the Tok area are private and nonshareholders are not allowed to hunt it. This IS a big problem. Access has also gotton worse especially up the Taylor Hwy as this last year when a bunch of previously public lands were transferred into private hands and effectively shutting those lands down to the public. There were uniformed individuals patroling for trespassers this last fall telling nonshareholders that they can no longer hunt such & such area. There is still alot of public land up there so be sure and find out the ownerships of the area or areas that you hope to hunt. And no they usually do not allow you to cross their lands to access public land either unless there is an already established trail there.

Just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    So....

Do use SE guys need a passport now to use the ferry system and road to run up to Tok from Haines?
    In October I had to present a passport.

Default Poor grammer

I'm glad you were able to understand that with and the poor spelling and grammar.

Sorry and thanks for that info. I guess the Mrs. and I need to get passports.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I'm glad you were able to understand that with and the poor spelling and grammar.

Sorry and thanks for that info. I guess the Mrs. and I need to get passports.
    No need if you or your wife are Indian or Native. Just show you BIA/Tribe Card and off you go. It is recognized worldwide.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

H&F, When are you guy's going to realize that the hunt is over here in Delta.

You came , killed, and filled your frezzer's, and it's over now.

It was only a matter of time before this happened, but you guy's wanted to push it to the the point of where there has to be more control in the area.

I think Delta is on a short list as to being off the hunting grid pretty soon.

Year after year, the clients of 40 Mile Air are above average successful on moose. Yes, I was one of their clients and we got a dandy moose in 2006. In my opinion, the only way to hunt out of Tok without a good local knowledge is to fly out.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default knute78

sorry bud,

i really couldn't tell you much about tok nowadays beyond what i have already told. as stated, the folks at 40 mile air in tok are the best source of current knowledge available for tok. they have been handling hunters there for many, many years.

i was lucky is the reality. call and ask them your questions and listen close to them. if you are looking for something to hunt 2010, you are late! 40 mile starts booking on december 1st, the year prior, (so dec 1st of 2009 for 2010 fall hunts). however; they may have opening still available.

the last year i hunted there i called in a grizz.......and a wolf pack hit our kill site in 2 days, maybe less. that was enough for me to know what was coming and i aint been back since. adf&g has begun allowing more liberal preditor control there now, but i won't even look in that area again for 3-5 years minimum and maybe not ever depending on the sustainability of other hunting grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    H&F, When are you guy's going to realize that the hunt is over here in Delta.

You came , killed, and filled your frezzer's, and it's over now.

It was only a matter of time before this happened, but you guy's wanted to push it to the the point of where there has to be more control in the area.

I think Delta is on a short list as to being off the hunting grid pretty soon.
    hey, let me tell you this....

i have NEVER even been to delta...so dont go blaming me for the killing of X amount of game killed there.....ive heard some good things, some bad things, just tryin to give the guy some options....so leave me alone and find someone else to blame
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-09-2010 at 17:09. Reason: name calling

Release Lake Trout

Wink

my good friends hunted the bou up there in chicken last year, they spent 2 days there and didnt see one moose....correction,we did almost run down a stupid fork horn,and he proceded to run in front of us a little while and we all noticed he looked like he ran into this before, running in front of trucks, because his rear end was real bloody and one of his forks were broken he was lucky the season wasn't open because the little guy was perfect size to run down in my monster F-350,just kidding and if Alaska fish and game would just take there heads out of there @** mabey just mabey the could properly manage our hunting areas so when ready,my daughter will still get the chances at hunting the same areas her dad has done in the past

you forgot to quote me Kotton, besides you didnt tell me about the forky

Release Lake Trout

hotternanny,
    No problem. Yes, I'm already scheduled for a fly out with 40-Mile. Just looking for any additional info. As a non-res, you can never know enough about a certain area.
    Thanks,
    Knute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast