Thread: Halibut Fishing - Seward or Cook Inlet?

Default Halibut Fishing - Seward or Cook Inlet?

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on halibut fishing on the Kenai Peninsula. My wife and I are already planning on staying along the Kenai River (Soldotna maybe) for salmon fishing. We are also planning some time in Seward to do the Kenai Fjords Glacier Cruise. We will have a rental car so we can do our halibut fishing in either place. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBassnbow View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on halibut fishing on the Kenai Peninsula. My wife and I are already planning on staying along the Kenai River (Soldotna maybe) for salmon fishing. We are also planning some time in Seward to do the Kenai Fjords Glacier Cruise. We will have a rental car so we can do our halibut fishing in either place. Any thoughts?
    As noted in the other thread Seward would be my choice. You will be able to go on a combo trip likely getting your limit of halibut, rockfish, silvers, and lingcod...doesn`t get any better than that. Homer is a cool place but harder to get all of those species in one day and the water can be a bit rougher not to mention the tides rip fast in Cook Inlet making it a pain to fish some days. I fish both and 85% of my time is spent in Seward.

It would be kind of neat to see both Seward and Homer. In early July I would prefer Homer over Seward as the run to the fishing grounds is closer to port. But it really is a toss up as far as the fishing on the right tide, with the right outfit, and with the right weather. Can't go wrong either way that you decide to go so...

Default Deep Creek

We always seem to catch plenty of halibut out of Deep Creek. It's not that pretty compared to Seward and Homer but it is still a cool fishery. The beach launches are exciting sometimes and so is trailering when the tide's ripping and there's a swell hitting the beach.

The real Halibut fisherman go to Homer. As said earlier, you can't get always get multi species in one day but there's ALOT of big fish out there of all kinds if you CAN get out there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Based on what you asked for (Halibut), I would say go with one of the tractor launch charters out of Ninilchik. You can get Halibut out of Seward, but there are more flatfish out of the lower Cook Inlet area. You should also talk to the charter about when the best tide is for the time that you will be here since that makes a pretty big difference as well.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    The real Halibut fisherman go to Homer. As said earlier, you can't get always get multi species in one day but there's ALOT of big fish out there of all kinds if you CAN get out there.
    Thats funny!!

http://www.adn.com/2009/08/26/912433...-flatfish.html

That's where we a going out of. As long as they are bigger then fluke, I'LL BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I agree....every year we boat a huge one (150 pds plus) out of Seward. I enjoy catching them and always release those fat spawners. I have done well out of Homer too, but not as well.....Perhaps I haven't found the right spots? Could be, but they are definately in Seward too.

The catch rates are considerably higher in Homer. Might be a factor to look at.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It is a known fact that people visiting Homer become compulsive liars......lol.... By the way, I never said I did bad, just not as good as my "secret" spots everybody knows about in the Gulf......In fact, the one thing I like about Homer is the short boat ride to the fish. And while I have no data to prove it, I think the seas are generally calmer in Cook Inlet than they are in the Gulf. One thing is for sure though, if you get a decent charter captain you are going to catch lots of fish in either place.

I am not disputing what you are saying, but what catch rates? I think it would be difficult to quantify which port has more "better" halibut fishing on a charter. I would assume that charters limit their clients almost every day in both ports.

It is easier and closer in for private boats to limit on chicken halibut in Homer, it is 80 miles farther to tow your boat from Anchorage too.
    ...Better is a subjective term, right? Easier to catch limits of 20 pound chickens? or more big fish per day? or a larger average size of a chicken halibut? Or more 300 pounders? Any one of those might be considered better

The number of Halibut caught per angler per fishing day is higher, to clarify.

I still think Homer is the place to go.

If I'm serious about halibut I go to Homer. Homer is called the HAilbut capital of the world.
    However Seward is nice to and you get a mix pot of fish allot of times compared to Homer.

You can go wrong with either place since you would be going on a charter..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking

Just outta curiosity pike.. where does one find stats on something like that? I know i am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always had better luck in Seward than Homer. I have only fished homer several times on charters and private boats and I haven't seen a higher catch rate there personally. Suffice it to say that I will be going back to Seward this year for halibut. Of course I think a big part of it is going with a reputable charter outfit that is out to get you some good fish... I know who I like to fish with outta Seward. Not real knowledgable about the Homer outfits, although I can tell you who i didn't like! I was just thinking about it.. I have been on about 15-20 charters out of Seward.. I guess i should have bought my own boat by now! Oh and the fact that Homer is the Halibut capitol of the world? Isn't that kinda a self-given title? I could say I am the greatest lover in the world... doesn't make it true

P.S. The below statement is my 2 cents and is worth precisely that!