Thread: .454 loads and other questions.

Default .454 loads and other questions.

I'm a newb to reloading and I have a couple questions. The first is in regards to finding a starting point for a reasonably controllable 454 load using a 345 grn. Cast Lyman boolit. I currently have lil gun, 2400, and no. 9 powders. I'm just curious as to how the folks here like to load this type of bullet.

Also, does anyone know a local place that sells .460 brass? They are out at Boondocks, which is where I try to do most of my shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    I'm a newb to reloading and I have a couple questions. The first is in regards to finding a starting point for a reasonably controllable 454 load using a 345 grn. Cast Lyman boolit. I currently have lil gun, 2400, and no. 9 powders. I'm just curious as to how the folks here like to load this type of bullet.

Also, does anyone know a local place that sells .460 brass? They are out at Boondocks, which is where I try to do most of my shopping.
    I haven't worked up any 454 loads yet, so I can't help you there, unless you want me to go through some of my manuals and give you some starting loads.

As for 460 brass - welcome to the struggle. I have some on backorder at Midway, they've been on backorder for months. I have a line on some brass from a shop here in Wasilla though. He said he can get me 100 cases (lowest number available). I told him I'd see if I could find someone who wanted 50 to split the order with me. You interested? It's new starline brass. I'd have just ordered the 100 if I weren't so tight for cash. I already spent too much on guns and truck repairs, LOL. I can't remember the price for the brass, but the shop is always reasonable in terms of price.

In the mean time, if I can make it out to do some shooting today I'll scrounge up ten once-fired win cases you can have to get you started. I've only got a total of 35 cases myself.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I'd be be happy to split that brass with you. I'm pretty
    tight on funds right now too. New tires and reloading gear tapped me out for the week. I'm going to birchwood today to shoot. You going to be around? That might be a bit of a drive from wasilla though. I should have some 460 cases emptied by the end of my range session

I picked up the Speer and the nosler reloading manuals. I've also been looking online. It can be tough to find data for the heavier bullets.

I'd be be happy to split that brass with you. I'm pretty
    tight on funds right now too. New tires and reloading gear tapped me out for the week. I'm going to birchwood today to shoot. You going to be around? That might be a bit of a drive from wasilla though. I should have some 460 cases emptied by the end of my range session

I picked up the Speer and the nosler reloading manuals. I've also been looking online. It can be tough to find data for the heavier bullets.
    I'll call MATSU tactical tomorrow and get a price on that brass then, and call you. I very rarely go to Birchwood to shoot, too far for me to drive. Have fun with that 460! I am fighting some kind of bug and I'm not feeling up to going shooting today. I think I'll just take it easy.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Here is the best source of data for 454 and 460 heavy bullets. All my loads come from this data. I have yet to find a book with 460 data for anything over 300g bullets.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Love the LilGun for all my 45 cal stuff anymore. For 405g bullets and slightly heaver just use the 395g data by starting at the low numbers and work up. If you want real heavy you need to talk to Ranger Rick, I think he has a 600g and data to go with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

For bullets for what you need the guy to rattle the cage of is Ranger Rick in Homer, Alaska. He has some vary good .454 bullets and all come in gas checks. He is a member of this forum also and is the man to ask about loads. Cheaper than buying a mold and guessing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Dcs took forever! Couldn't make it to the range. Let me know about the brass. Like I said, I'm in. I've got some 454 brass if you need some.

Thnks for pointing me in the right direction guys. It's much appreciated.

I called Sterling at Arctic Ammo and Reloading Supplies (AKA Matsu Tactical - click the sponsor link at the top of the page) and he had seen this thread and already ordered our brass! Talk about customer service - thanks guys!

Dcs took forever! Couldn't make it to the range. Let me know about the brass. Like I said, I'm in. I've got some 454 brass if you need some.

Thnks for pointing me in the right direction guys. It's much appreciated.

Way off topic but get your range certification and you can shoot to your hearts content on post... Go to range control wathc a 15 minute video from 1990 get your card sign out and head to the range. You do need to register your guns on post but not a big hassle at all you do need to get your troop commander to sign off on yoru paperwork if you are a E-6 and below which makes no since to me considering other Army posts it is different.

All of my .454 loads start with W296 and end with 350grn CP's. The cartridge is pretty easy to load, but you need to put a super-serious crimp on it. Just start with the lowest recommended load for your powder and bullet combination.

When working loads for this cartridge, I load a full cylinder so that I can keep track of bullet creep with the remaining rounds in the cylinder after each shot...it's a big part of load development with this round. Penetration with this cartridge and cast bullets is amazing, and you sure don't need max loads to get there.

Doc

I tried a few loads from the hodgdon website. They worked well in my 460.I was loading 454 because I couldn't find 460 brass. The favorite load of the day was 335 cast lead with trailboss powder. There is another thread about it if anyone is interested. Just search "trail boss powder in a 454"

Don't know if this will help but here's my recipe:

340 Gr Beartooth LFNGC
    22 Gr Lil' Gun
    Winchester WSR primer
    Starline brass
    Heavy roll crimp - 1 3/8 turns out
    COAL - 1.770"

This load shoots very well in my Ruger Alaskan.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.