Thread: Honda 40 vs. Yamaha 40 ?

Default Honda 40 vs. Yamaha 40 ?

I am getting my new 17' Alaska series Inflatable next month and I need a motor. I have heard good work about the Honda but would like some input on the advantages and disadvantages from those who have had either motor.

The motor will probably be used with a CMC power lift.

Thank you

Default solid choices

I assume you are referring to the Yamaha 4-stroke as opposed to the 2-stroke model. Generally speaking I think the Honda is probably a better engine, but I think it would be hard to go wrong with either. The Honda is slightly heavier than the Yamaha. Power wise there is not really a noticeable difference. One thing I would not do is opt for a rope pull in either, especially the Yam. It will bust your knuckles regularly and it goes through pull cords about every 6 months with moderate usage. I have not had serious issues with either engine.

We have both the Yamaha 4 stroke 40hp and the Honda 40hp. I much prefer the Yamaha. Its lighter, has considerably more get up and go, and is an easy engine to work with. Fuel use isn't bad either. The Honda's only come in electric start in the 40hp range, at least through the dealer we work with. The yamaha isn't that tough to pull start and I haven't had to replace a cord in two years of heavy use. Lots of women work for us and they have no problem pulling it. Electric start sure is nice but in the bush, if you lose a battery it can be a real problem. A 40hp Etec on the other hand is a real bear to pull start.

Nothing bad to say about the Honda as I have them on my personal ocean boat. I have a 150hp and a kicker on my boat. They are extremely reliable and great on gas. They just seem to lack the power of the Yamaha. I think you can even save a few bucks with the Yamaha but not a 100% sure on that.

Default I think you can pull start an electric...

"Electric start sure is nice but in the bush, if you lose a battery it can be a real problem"

Not sure of the 40 hp Honda elec start, but the 20 hp 4-stroke Honda elec I had could be started with a pull cord if you took the cowling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    "Electric start sure is nice but in the bush, if you lose a battery it can be a real problem"

Not sure of the 40 hp Honda elec start, but the 20 hp 4-stroke Honda elec I had could be started with a pull cord if you took the cowling off.
    Cap'n Ron's exactly right. You can pull start an electric start given you can turn it over. Its jus the emergency pull cord they come with is pretty short and it can be tough to get it wrapped correctly. I was just referring to not having to worry about it in the bush. Its doable in a pinch though.

Default new yamaha

I just purchased a new Yamaha 50 hp. One of the reasons I picked it over the Honda was Yamaha was offering twice the warranty. I got a 6 year warranty instead of a 3 year.

I was in the same boat last fall. I went with the Yamaha.

Some information in this thread - http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....ad.php?t=61064