Thread: Need advice/recommendations for halibut

Default Need advice/recommendations for halibut

My friend Pat is headed to AK this summer, to Nilchik, to fish.
    My other friend, Ron, has stayed at Silver Buddah In Soldotna and fished.
    both want to take me fishing there. I have great friends!!

I lived in Fairbanks in the 1980's, I am just not much of a fisherman, I am a hunter..

Instead of going to the Kenai Pensula, I'd prefer to be in SE AK, Maybe Ketchikan or Wrangell area.

Any recommendation for Halibut and other opportunities in that area?

We are plannig on this summer (2010) I am a teacher so I have most of June through the 1st half of August available,

thanks,
    Doughnut

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    My friend Pat is headed to AK this summer, to Nilchik, to fish.
    My other friend, Ron, has stayed at Silver Buddah In Soldotna and fished.
    both want to take me fishing there. I have great friends!!

I lived in Fairbanks in the 1980's, I am just not much of a fisherman, I am a hunter..

Instead of going to the Kenai Pensula, I'd prefer to be in SE AK, Maybe Ketchikan or Wrangell area.

Any recommendation for Halibut and other opportunities in that area?

We are plannig on this summer (2010) I am a teacher so I have most of June through the 1st half of August available,

thanks,
    Doughnut

In SE I would recommend staying in Elfin Cove...fishing will be awesome...and nice little town on the water.

There are a lot of good boats our of Homer and it is worth the trip to see the sights. Look on the internet, go for a six pack boat if you are looking to catch bigger fish. I went out of Seward last year and got ripped off. I was booked on a six pack with Saltwater Safari and they canceled at the last minute, I went on their bigger boat because they had my money and couldn't change my plans on such a short notice. They filled up their big boat and saved gas and pay for another captain. When you make your reservations make sure if something comes up you can go out another day.

You might try Yakutat. They don't run very far and pull up some very nice fish due to lack of pressure.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wink S E options

If your interested in S E AK there are some great options in either Sitka or Craig (Prince of Wales Island). I fished the last two years out of Craig and had a great time. Craig is a little more out of the way and seems to have less pressure than the Kenai Peninsula. Another plus is more fishing time and less boat riding as the fishing is usually less than an hour from the dock. The fishing can be awesome there as well for all of the main species (Kings, silvers, Halibut). Capt. Rob Endsley, Prince of wales Sportfishing, does a tremendous job. Here is a link to his website. http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com Check out his video links and you can see me boat my first 100+ Halibut

In Sitka, I have fished with Alaska Premier Charters. http://www.wildstrawberrylodge.com/

There are other good options either place but these are two I can vouch for from personal experience.

There are a few different ideas to keep in mind. Most of SE Alaska is a 1 halibut per day limit guided. Yakutat is one of the exceptions. I think Elfin Cove guys can make a long run for a second fish. There are a few options out of Homer for Long Range trips toward Kodiak that have great fishing too, they are liveaboard trips, meaning sleeping, eatting, etc.. on the boat. I had fun with that for a while. PM me for some contacts if that interests you. Yakutat is neat fishing 20 mins from the dock in shallow water 50- 100 feet deep is pretty common.
    I've made the assumption that since you are a hunter you would want to be guided.

thanks for the replies, still looking, trying to decide if I want to incorporate a bear hunt.