Thread: have a heart (recipe) ??

Default have a heart (recipe) ??

Does anyone have a great recipe for cooking up big game meat heart?

i cook moose heart like meatloaf.....it is delicious

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Does anyone have a great recipe for cooking up big game meat heart?
    SSF&F.........sliced, spiced, floured and fried!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    SSF&F.........sliced, spiced, floured and fried!

Ditto with a little gravey to top it all off. Pan fried, brown gravy, deep fried white country gravy. Man I just got hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Ditto with a little gravey to top it all off. Pan fried, brown gravy, deep fried white country gravy. Man I just got hungary.
    Pass 2nd's, please!

I like to use a stuffing recipie to stuff mine then bake it.

heart and Italian dishes go really well together...Sliced, ground, whatever.
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Cut off the top so you can see the holes, trim it up. Then stuff the holes with peppers, onions, celery or what ever veggie you desire that hold up to crock potting all day. Toss'er in the crock with some stock that you have, more onions, taters, and what ever seasoning you like. Start at about 6 and it should be ready a dinner time for us about 5:30.

Cut off the top, stuff with the same as above or a stove top type bread stuffing and bake in the oven. Couple three hours at kinda low heat. Cook on a rack and make a gravy run from the dripping.

We fed the tops to the dogs you can put them back into either way of cooking, Not much there though and the dogs love the treat.

Cut into just bigger than bite size chunks and drop a few into a plastic bag that has you seasoned flour or powder pancake mix shake and drop in an elect or standard skillet. Low heat, just enough to sizzle. cook until tender to your liking. Or slice into rounds how ever thick you like and do the same. With the holes in the slices the kiddos used to and still do call this way doughnut steaks.

If you can't or don't cut off the skin you have to cook slow or you will be chewing for a long time. It's hard to get that skin off without destroying the whole so she just cooks it slow and damp/wet so you don't have to worry about a boot tongue at the table.

This how Mrs cook our heart. No need for a knife a fork will cut it when done.

Owl

Thumbs up great heart soon

Quote Originally Posted by spotted owl View Post
    Cut off the top so you can see the holes, trim it up. Then stuff the holes with peppers, onions, celery or what ever veggie you desire that hold up to crock potting all day. Toss'er in the crock with some stock that you have, more onions, taters, and what ever seasoning you like. Start at about 6 and it should be ready a dinner time for us about 5:30.
    Thank you Owl. I like this one the best of the 3 you said and plan to do it soon; that should be a great way to try this caribou heart I have. It came out in perfect shape, and before vacuum packing & freezing it I soaked/resoaked it again and again in very cold water, gishing out the blood between water changings. Because the internals never did get a chance to completely dry out before being de-blooded I suspect its in perfect shape all the way through. Guess I'll find out when I chop its top off.

Thanks again Owl!

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Default Foxx's Heart Stew or Sauce

Foxx's Heart Stew or Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 medium to large Red Meat Heart (Game or Beef)
    • 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
    • 2 tablespoons Olive or Canola Oil
    • 1 large Sweet or Red (Purple) Onion
    • 4 Garlic Cloves

_________

• ----1 cup Hot Water
    • ----1 Beef Bullion Cube

OR

• ----1 cup Beef or Game Stock

_________

• 1 teaspoon Salt

Directions:

1. In a separate pan or measuring cup dissolve the bullion cube in the hot water.
    2. Rinse and cube the heart.
    3. Peel and slice the onion.
    4. Peel, crush, and chop the garlic cloves.
    5. Coat the heart cubes in flour pressing the flour into the meat.
    6. Heat the oil in a covered pan on medium-high heat.
    7. Fry and brown the heart cubes.
    8. Stir in onions and garlic and saute.
    9. Add the hot water with bullion cube dissolved (or preprepared stock) and one additional teaspoon salt.
    10. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the meat is very tender adding more water if need be and to the consistency and taste you like.
    11. Add vegetables if you want.
    12. Season with salt and red pepper to taste.
    13. Eat as is or serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.
    14. Enjoy.

We just grind the heart with all the other muscles we grind into burger...

Default Blast from the past......

There is another (older) discussion on this. But it never hurts to ask again!! http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20135

Here is the recipe I left in the older discussion, it is yummy!
    This is a modification of the stuffed moose heart recipe out of 'Favourite Recipes from Trapper Ray's Kitchen'

Wash heart thoroughly in cold water and dry. Trim cartilage and valves.

Stuffing: These amounts aren't exact, as it depends on the size of the heart. Vary the amounts of veggies and bread based on the size of the space to fill.

Lightly mix these ingredents in a bowl:
    Chopped veggies (about 1 -2 cups). I did about equal carrot, celery and onion - with a garlic clove or two thrown in. You could use what ever you have.
    1-2 cups bread cubes or crumbs.
    1-2 tbsp of butter, bacon grease, or olive oil.
    1 tsp seasoning spice (like poultry seasoning, sage, herbs fennes, whatever you like.)
    pinch of salt and pepper

Lightly stuff stuffing into the heart chambers. If it is not going to be easy to tie up the heart and get it mostly closed, use a couple of strips of bacon tied or pinned across the opening to help you out. The heart needs to be able to set in the pan w/o the stuffing falling out, so pin or tie as nessasary. Then rub oil or butter or bacon fat on the outside of the heart before setting it in the pan.

I cooked mine in a loaf pan with foil on top. Cook at 350 degrees (medium oven). Trapper Ray says 3-4 hours, but mine didn't take nearly that long (about 40-60 min). I took the foil off for the last 5-10 min of cooking. Use a meat thermometer and it is all good when the meat reaches 150. Then it can coast another couple of degrees when you pull it out and not be overcooked.

Pretty darn good hot or cold as leftovers.

Cube or slice into small pieces the heart.

Boil in enough water to submerge the pieces of heart, with a touch of vinegar and salt to taste. During the boiling, you may add quartered sweet onions, garlic cloves to taste, black pepper and/or hot peppers, and any other preferred seasonings.

In a skillet, saute' veggies in several tblsp canola oil, to include sliced or chopped carrot, celery, sweet onion, etc.

Season the veggies to taste I typically add 'some' amount of hot pepper sauce, such as Thai red pepper paste), and saute' only 'til almost cooked.

Add the boiled pieces of heart to the veggies.

Dissolve two (or so) beef boullion cubes into one cup of HOT water.

Sprinkle several tblsp of your preferred flour (I use 100% whole wheat due to dietary restrictions) over the meat and veggie ingredients in the skillet, stirring the flour in to the point of leaving no 'lumps' visible.

Stir in the cup (or so) of boullion broth, making sure to avoid lumps, burning or sticking.

Serve over noodles, or mashed potatoes, or toast, or rice, or ..........

You can do something similar with curry powder too, if you like

ruffle

Ooops!! I neglected to mention that after you've boiled the heart pieces until done, you drain off the liquid!!

You may or may not want to preserve what ever items were added to the meat during the boiling phase to be added with the meat to the veggie mix(i.e., garlic, onion, etc.), but -drain off the vinegar and salt water solution- -before- adding to the skillet of veggies.

If I see anything else I forgot to clarify in my earlier post, I'll make an additional post.

You can also take this concoction and bake in a casserole dish, lined with a pie crust, either using pie crust dough for the top, or mashed spuds, like in a shepherd's pie sort of affair.

I soak the heart for 2 days in milk, cut into thin slices, then sautee it with wild mushrooms, garlic, and onions. Heart is the most delicious part!

Default Pickle it!

Thirty years ago when my kids were very young I had access to a fair number of car killed NY whitetail deer. I always saved the hearts to pickle them. When my kids came home from school they loved the pickled heart on Ritz crackers as an afternoon snack.
    I would put a flushed out heart into a pot deep enough to cover it with lightly salted water and bring it to a simmering boil. After about fifteen minutes of slowly cooking it, I would take it out and let it cool and drain. Then I trimmed any sign of fat from the outside and took the top off the heart and trimmed away any sign of fat, connective tissue, etc. I then sliced and trimmed the heart into bite sized pieces. Those pieces were put into jars with sliced onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and a little sugar. I then added white vinegar and water in an approximately 3 to 1 ratio and let it sit for a few weeks.
    It is a great way to pickle heart and makes a very nice appetizer.