Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Alaska Handgun?

Default First Alaska Handgun?

Just a thread for fun...

WHAT was your first handgun that you ever aquired for use in Alaska?
    Where you happy with it? Why/Why not?

Mine:
    .22 Ruger Bearcat (circa 1973ish)
    12th Birthday present, first handgun.
    Couldn't have BEEN happier.

Default first hand gun

Funny as I sit here trying to go through all my guns in my head. I can remember the first gun I bought over the counter at 18. I'm not sure on the hand gun I think my first hand gun my grandfather gave to me. It is a .357 S&W that he bought new in the early 50's he also gave me a Randell knife to go with it. I love that gun shoots where you point it and is still in 95% condition. I still take it out of the safe on occasion. Let me tell you as my seven year old son says "when my dad dies I get all his guns". Kind of funny to hear from a seven year old but you now what, he is right.

Dad gave me a S&W model 19 in .357 mag when I turned 14. I shot a moose with it up on the Koyukuk back in the early 80's. When I graduated high school he gave me a Ruger SBH in .44mag which I've never shot anything with to this day, but I sure love it! I still have 'em both though I tend to carry others more often nowadays. I've never been able to pay him back for what he's done for me in giving me this love for guns and hunting. I did get to fly him and my uncle out on a cool caribou hunt out west one year, and I did have one of my sheep horns carved out and mounted on an oak base engraved "Father of the Year 2000" "For taking a kid hunting" which he seemd to like ok. Hopefully he lives plenty long for me to come up with some other ways to show him my appreciation... or to borrow some more money from if nothign else!

My first Ak hand gun was a Ruger BH 41Mag. Got it in 1983 when we moved from Washington to Nome. It's still the handgun I carry most when I'm in the woods.

I arrived in 1975 with about a dozen, mostly 357's, but a SBH and a BH in 41, plus a K-22, a Woodsman, a Ruger Single Six and a semi. Got the most use out of an M-19 6", the K-22 and the SBH.

In 1970 A Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag. from the "Silver Dollar Loan Co." it came with a "Lawrence" Quick Draw Rig. Lesson learned: Quick Draw Rigs ain't how one packs big heavy iron all day through Alder thickets. It was a short love affair. The whole package cost: $125.00 New.

Since I don't live in nor have never been to Alaska I can't elate to the the topic. However, when I read stuff like Fozz's 7 year old son saying "When my dad dies I get all his guns." And Chriso mentions the model 19 that his dad gave him and how much he appreciates and how he has expressed that appreciation in return....well it gives me more warm fuzzies than a whole sack full of bird dog pups and I like them a lot.

I'll never, ever get tired of reading stories in regards to our hunting and shooting traditions getting passed from one generation to the next.

Thanks for that guys!

I bought a S&W model 27, 357 when I move to Ak in 1973. Still have it and it occupies a permanent place in my vault.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Since I don't live in nor have never been to Alaska I can't elate to the the topic. However, when I read stuff like Fozz's 7 year old son saying "When my dad dies I get all his guns." And Chriso mentions the model 19 that his dad gave him and how much he appreciates and how he has expressed that appreciation in return....well it gives me more warm fuzzies than a whole sack full of bird dog pups and I like them a lot.

I'll never, ever get tired of reading stories in regards to our hunting and shooting traditions getting passed from one generation to the next.

Thanks for that guys!
    Exactly. This thread is turning out just how I had hoped! Great posts ALL!
    Thank you, keep it UP! ps: my first rifle was ALSO from Dad, a Brand New Steven's Favorite commemorative single shot for my 7th Birthday! Gold trigger/medallian, etc, purchased with me standing with him at the counter of what was "Caribou" Wards at that time (now REI) on the corner of Spenard and Northern Lights, across from the "original" Gary Kings with the flashing neon sign of the skiier going downhill. 10th birthday was a new Ruger M77 in .243.
    Chriso, you hit the 10 ring, Bro!!!

Default Ruger blackhawk .44 mag

First Alaska pistol was a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag, I bought it from a friend I worked with (1969). I promised to sell it back to him when I returned from my summer job on Kodiak Island. I carried the pistol and about 300 rounds of ammo in my gym bag on the airplane between my feet on the floor. No one even cared about what was in the bag. I carried the pistol and my 30-06 rifle when ever we left the fish camp on hikes. Saw lots of bears, shot birds, Sold the gun back to my friend when I returned. Now a 4" 500 S.& W. is my carry gun. Gerberman

As with many others here my first pistol was a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44, and it has a kinda interesting story behind it, at least I think so. I found out I was moving up here, and of course I needed a 44 mag before they would let me cross the border,right? So I started to look for one, and they ain't a common item in SW Oklahoma. I found two, a 7.5in Redhawk a buddy had but it was definately not for sale being a Christmas present from his dad. The other one was a S&W 29 Classic 8 3/8 my dad's buddy had and it was for sale, trouble being I couldn't come up with a whole 300 bucks to buy it, with it's holster, dies, ammo, and 2 sets of grips.
    So as I sat around sulking that I was gonna have to go without and would surely be eaten by a bear, a fellow I went to gunsmith school with offered to help. Seems his father owned a big gunshop on the east coast and got guns from police departments, trade ins and confiscations. A quick phone call confirmed he had a SS SBH that had been used for some kind of crime that he would let me have for 100 dollars. I was in business, or so I thought. When it arrived in my possesion I found that 4 of the 5 grip frame screws were broken off in the frame, o'boy. Well a couple of hours in the machine shop and I had managed to fish them out without any damage to the frame. The only replacement screws I could find were blued and it still has 4 blued screws along with one stainless one but it works and it is the pistol I grab before I head out to hunt or fish or waalk the dog to this day.

And low and behold I've never had to even draw it on a bear, I guess they know better than to mess with a hardened criminal gun.

Default First AK Handgun

I grew-up here as a rifle kid, Dad only had one handgun, a Ruger Single-Six in .22lr that he still owns to this day.

My First Handgun purchase was after I was WELL into my twenties, a Walther 22lr pistol that was so picky about ammo that I immediately traded it for a well-kept 4" S&W model 19 that I've had for over ten years now. To this day it has the best trigger I have ever felt, and is as accurate as I can shoot.

My wife worked as an armed security-guard when we met in college, and she carried a Model 19 then. I pained her to return that fine revolver when she left the job and moved back to Alaska with me, now she has one again and she will never let me part with it. Not that I would anyway!

You can probably guess what my last handgun purchase was, a stainless Single-Six, just like Dad's

Yup, to me...this is what MAKES a gun.
    Not so much the factory spec's or the ballistics, etc...but the STORY/memories attached to it. (Alaska, or otherwise).
    This may sound funny, but I BELIEVE that there's a karma that gets attached that actually effects performance...it has a "soul" if you will. (crazy, I know...). For example...the story about old Joe Zentner's Colt Woodsman .22 in another thread.
    Great posts, folks! Keep 'em coming.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Ruger Single Six, 22 LR.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Handgun Rookie

Ruger Single Six .22 LR,

Not many stories yet, just bought it, my first handgun in AK so I'm a handgun rookie (well I do have a Beretta 92 but not for the woods) so handgun "Hunting" rookie is more like it

lovin' this gun tho, what a great little rig to carry around the woods

Never could get too jacked on the semiauto deal but this revolver is one excellent gun (glad I asked around on this forum while deciding what to buy)

Dad gave me his 5.5" 44 Redhawk that I always remember hanging on his hip when fishing or hiking. I guess he figured he wouldn't need it down in "Bama" where he retired so he gave it to me when I decided to move back to AK. Oddly enough I rarely carry it, I picked up a 10mm last year and it just packs better so the RH mostly gets range time and regular cleanings.

Taurus tracker 44 mag that I bought in 2006. Carry it all summer, every summer I have had it.
    I like the gun and will continue to carry it even though I have several other options.

Mine was a S&W Model 629 .44 mag. I bought with a shoulder holster within my first week of being stationed at Ft. Greely in August 1994. Took it every where I went. About 1 month before I PCS'd in Dec 86 I traded it for a 3006 Model 70 Winchester XTR Sporter which I still have today. Wish I never would have sold the 629 but I needed a better Deer Rifle at the time more than I needed a pistol.

my first hand gun was a S&W model 10 38.special 4.inch barrel and bad sights that i learned to shoot with my uncle carried as a cop in Dallas he fell and the revolver got banged up pretty good from going down the steps in the apt building and after the fall down the steps dureing the fight he told the sights got a littel banged up and he did not want to carry it any more and went got a new duty revolver a model 27 ..he fixed the sights for me and would shoot basic point of aim and i carryed it in the back county areas of the farm when out on horse back and in the truck ..wore it in a old cross draw holster along with two police dump pouch fill of ammo for them on the pants belt ..

OK my first pistols to bring were #1 a 1976 roll marked BH 4 5/8" 41mag with a SS SBH grip frame #2 was my engraved S&W mod 63 first year with pinned barrel. My daughter now keeps the Smith under her pillow and a very good friend packs the Ruger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast