Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polymer pistol question

Default polymer pistol question

I am thinking about trading or selling my Kimber Custom II for a new pistol. I am thinking about either a Glock 19, Sig Pro, XD, or M&P. I had a Glock 19 for a while and find myself missing it. Any suggestions or experience with any of the guns above would be appreciated. I will be using it as a range gun/concealed carry. Thanks

RMK

Default I've only owned Glocks

I have three Glocks, and I really like them. They are super reliable, and easy to field strip and reassemble.

For the price, they seem like a good value. You'll find that guns are like cars, and the faithful will come out of the woodwork to support their favorite brand.

There is a reason so many police departments have chosen Glock. Cheap, Simple, Reliable.

I have a 21, 30, and 36. All are .45 ACP
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've shot all of them and the XD is a great gun. The M&P is pretty sweet as a full size. See what fits your hand. I like HK too. Lots of guns have interchangeable grips, just go to a shop and see what fits your hand. That's the most important thing. Grip and natural point of aim. I don't like glock as much, they naturally point high for me.
    River Runnin

Go and rent an XDm, maybe in the new 3.8" if it'll be for CCW...before you buy ANYTHING!

It's gotta be the one that YOU shoot best from YOUR hand. But check out that XDm.

I cant tell from your post or profile where you're from, but if you're around anchorage and want to try your hand with my M&P someday let me know. I love it, but its a bit more than I'd want to pack around for a carry gun. Of course, I'm not much of a carry type guy around town anyway, though I've been trying to build the groundwork for a habit.

glocks to me fall into that area of love or hate them area ..

great for people who are just starting out and learning how to use and carry a handgun..
    pros of a glock
    great rookie gun owner first pistol for the following ideas or reason behind the design
    .easy to use point and shoot weapon
    easy to field strip
    easy to keep clean ..
    simple to change out parts with a single tool and hammer unit to change parts as need
    feed anything but lead rounds through the pistol just change out the pistol barrel for that use of reloads
    22 lr prarice slide set up ..

cons in my book
    no safety ..if the pistol is take away from you no safety to put on to give you that extras seconds to get to a secondly weapon or knife to deal with person

can not shoot reloads through the pistol without changeing out the barrel

the grip feel like to me to thick brick when holding one in my hand ..only after takeing to a glock doctor gunsmith and he works on it to get the natural style of a 1911 pistol grip does it feel better in the hand

now that they are makeing the aftermarket steel frame model i might look at them again but me i will allways be a diehard 1911 fan for the very fact it has a lot features that i like on a duty handgun ..but that me and my personal idea behind the model ..like i said glocks are not a better handgun ..i do not care for them because of the grip it has allway felt like holding a brick in my hand when shooting a glock

I have a Glock 21 and although it's not a bad gun it's not my goto 45. The Glock points high left for me and I have to force my self to compensate. It does shoot handloads and cast bullets with the stock barrel without a hitch and is about idiot proof. It's also fairly accurate but even after polishing the trigger to get the lumps out it still has a funky trigger. I prefer a 1911 and I'm not pickey on who made it. I haven't shot the Sig, M&P or the XD. I have shot the Glock 22 quite a bit and I don't care for it much.

I notice that the 1911 shooters don't care for glock. I guess going from a good 1911 to a glock could be compared to driving a corvette for a year and then driving a cop car.

The issue with reloads in blocks is with soft lead and hard casts correct? FMJ/JHP should be okay right? Same question for H&K octagonal barrels.

I'm looking at the M&Pc or the XDm 3.8. But my curiosity also brings me to want to look at the SR9c. These are all for fun/occasional carry, though, because it's the ol' Snubby Jframe for normal CCW for me.

But I do also like my 1911 Springfield Champion ("commander" length) for fun/games...but this Polymer seduction is starting to effect me too. (trades, anyone?)

If only there was a Browning HiPower 9shot/Compact (Polymer) with the same HiPower ergonomics, only in .45acp... <cough>

RIP JMB.

Chriso- I may take you up on your offer. I am located here in Anchorage. I am really interested also in trying the Sig Pro. It seems like a good deal $500 with night sights.

Another one that you could try is a Kahr. Their CW line is a bit less spendy and they are good pistols too. Similar to a Glock, but single stack which fits my hand much better than a Glock.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

read glock manual and they tell you not to shoot lead bullet reloads in there manuals that comes with the postol ..for it mess with the rifleing of there barrel and fills up the lands and groves of the barrel and can increase pressuse on the pistol for they cut there barrles a diff way than a regular barrel ..also h,k has the same problem about lead reloads also ..that way a lot of people use aftermarket drop in replacement barrels to be able to shoot a handloads or socalled lead bullets ..read the manual and i think used to say that shooting lead reloads in the manual voids the warrenty on the pistol.. i do not know they still have that in there manuals or not

that what i meant by that statement..

and iam a 1911 guy ..i shot a few tuned glocks after they been to glock doctor and had there grips reworked and better trigger system tuned and polished put into the pistol..

but you can not beat a tuned 1911 pistol trigger that been polished and tuned to break cleanly at the 4 to 5 pd mark most break evenly about 4.1/2.pds mark ..my 1911 pistol trigger is tuned to break evenly at the 5.pd mark and crisp and clean

I know what You mean about the 1911 triggers. I have a colt series 70 that is still factory, and it breaks better than any other unworked handgun trigger I have pulled. My USP when operated in SA mode is right up there too though. I've been looking at XD's and glocks for a subcompact carry pistol for a while now. I think I am leaning towards the glock because it's more compact.

I had a Kahr in 9mm but I sold it because I hated the trigger. It was awful. Not to say they are bad guns, I just didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    If only there was a Browning HiPower 9shot/Compact (Polymer) with the same HiPower ergonomics, only in .45acp... <cough>

RIP JMB.
    Doesn’t Para and EAA have critters like that?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Doesn’t Para and EAA have critters like that?
    Yes, but it's just NOT the quite the same ergonomics. CLOSE, but just not there. For me it's all about the circumference around the grip at the trigger line. The EAA DOES narrow at that point similar to the HiPower...but not quite enough for me. The XDm fits the best (so far) for any of the POLYMER double stacks....the closest to the HiPower.

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman
    Another one that you could try is a Kahr. Their CW line is a bit less spendy and they are good pistols too. Similar to a Glock, but single stack which fits my hand much better than a Glock.
    THAT'S another good suggestion.
    I forgot about the Kahr...in addition to the M&P and XDm, and maybe the SR9c. (I may have to look into Kahr CW45's again...)
    Single stack only...but VERY concealable, especially for a .45. (Kahr CW is also good in .40 and 9mm).
    Double Action trigger much like my Jframe..which I actually prefer over the current typical striker mechanisms.

I own four Glocks(17, 26, 21, 30), my wife carries an XD sub-compact 9mm, and we've owned Sigs and 1911s in the past, all the weapons you mentioned are good reliable options. I'd handle all of them and pick the one that fits your hand the best, if it feels right, it usually is!

The Glock 19 is a good compromise between concealability and and ammo capacity, but if you can manage to conceal the butt of that XDm 3.8, there is nothing else out there that I know of that will offer you 19+1 rounds of 9mm in a stock-capacity magazine.

When I carry my Glock 26 my spare mag is usually a G19 magazine with an A&G extension, you never know if you're going to need the Xtra rounds. The wife's XD sub-compact came with a similar set-up from the factory, plus a light rail. She slaps in the high-cap mag, slips on a X2 weaponlight, and turns her CC gun into a hi-capacity light-equipped bedside companion. In order to keep up with her I've got to grab one of my full-size Glocks with a light-rail, The G19 has a rail, so you'd be set for our darker months of the year. I am partial to the Glocks, they fit my hand well, and I am used to the trigger. While my wife prefers the grip of the XD, the grip safety, and the XD trigger.

I saw a neat set-up at S.W. the other day, the SIG 250, it came with two frames, a full-size and a compact, interchangeable internals, and a price-tag that said 799.00, pretty good deal for what is really two guns in one.

best of luck with your decision.
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    I'd handle all of them and pick the one that fits your hand the best, if it feels right, it usually is!

The Glock 19 is a good compromise between concealability and and ammo capacity, but if you can manage to conceal the butt of that XDm 3.8, there is nothing else out there that I know of that will offer you 19+1 rounds of 9mm in a stock-capacity magazine.
    Exactly. I don't know how they did it and it still fits my hand very well. Like magic.
    In fact, It's almost like the spirit of John Browning is inside the......oh, never mind.

Most glock 45s will shoot cast just fine if the bullet is a half way good fit to the barrel. The 9mm and 10mm/40s are a whole different story. The 45 has an 8 sided polygon barrel the 9 and 10 have six sided. The less sides the more like a square it is and round pegs don't fit well in square holes. The larger the bore and more sides the closer to a circle it becomes and less squishing of lead to fit the hole. The second issue is pressure and speed. A lead bullet at 800/900 fps is less likely to lead than one pushed at higher pressure to 1100/1200 fps. Glock has had a lot of issues with people trying to shoot cast in the 9 and 10mm and breaking guns. Lead can be shot in 9s and 10s but you have to know what your doing or you will get leading. Leading increases pressure and in the 10 that starts out high already it doesn't take to much to push it over the top. Glock laywer proofs there guns with the blanket statement , don't use reloads,. Don't get me wrong here as I'm not saying all Glock 45s will shoot all lead bullets ok. You do have to watch for leading when shooting lead bullets. I shot a bunch of Rem +p 38s in a 686 S&W and you had to dig the lead out with a shovel. Most Glock 45s will shoot most lead bullets without problems. Most 9s 10s and 40s won't without special casting and loading tecniques. And they have funky triggers.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Exactly. I don't know how they did it and it still fits my hand very well. Like magic.
    In fact, It's almost like the spirit of John Browning is inside the......oh, never mind.
    Yup, springfield has done an amazing job with the XD, and XDm. I wouldn't let my wife carry anything that wasn't 100&#37; reliable and safe, plus that sub-compact frame just fits her hand perfectly. She handled 12-15 different guns multiple times before deciding the XD was perfect for her.

I still make her carry the good ole' 2" .357 S&W 640 with lasergrips while walking the dogs. She doesn't like the recoil, but she can shoot it accurately with the laser, and I feel better with her carrying a .357 with all the mama moose in our neck of the woods. Can't convinvce her to shoot the .44 though.
    -J
    Last edited by jay51; 03-07-2010 at 16:59. Reason: Schpelling

Yup, the 640 Pro (NEXT!) and an XDm are my two next purchases planned.
    Unless I can't wait that long for the XDm .45, and end up with a Kahr CW45 or similar. Someone told me I have to look into the Glock 36 (single stack) also, but Glocks are just usually to "blocky" for me. XDm best so far in a polymer, HiPower in steel.

I guess that's (the 36) another to suggest Tarsyn try out.
    For SURE it's all about proper FIT and reliability...for EACH person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast