Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actual Bear Stops with Handguns ???

Default Actual Bear Stops with Handguns ???

How many of you folks have Actually seen or known of a Grizzly or Coastal Brown Bear that has been succesfully stopped in a Charging or Threatening situation by the Sole use of a handgun of any caliber?

Is this just a nice idea because we can carry them on our hip while fishing or an unrealistic myth?

Honestly, I can hardly imagine it, but I'm up for the stories...

Also, how experienced was the shooter?

Al,

This story made the rounds a while back. Here is a link. I believe he was carrying a .454 casull.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...th-454-casull/

Steve

I know of ONE that was turned away with the sound from a lucky warning shot...and I've also watched one scared off with firecrackers.
    I know of another that a .44 didn't stop...and only the 12ga on hand finally made the stop.

The rest are all second/third hand stories, because I don't actually KNOW anyone that carries a pistol over the Rifle/shotgun in bear country.
    I'm kinda old...long before the days of the 454 or 500, as are most of my Buddies. 12ga or .300+.

Default dropping a charging bear

My buddy (a member here) did this within the past year; I'll leave him to tell the story. One shot, and as the big guy fell it sprayed rocks at him as it fell. That's close.

I've only talked first hand to one person who did it. It was old Joe Zentner (now long dead) who used to have the ranch out at Pasagshak on Kodiak. He killed a charging brownie (witnessed) with one shot from his old Colt Woodsman 4" WITHOUT SIGHTS. Popped it in the corner of the left eye. Don't know what became of the skull but it floated around Kodiak for a lot of years.

Of course, Joe bought that pistol brand new early in the last century and shot it till the sights fell off, then kept shooting it. For fun (and to win a few side bets) he'd stand empty 22 shells on end at 15 feet and pick them off just about as fast as the action would cycle. Joe saw and probably killed more brown bears than anyone today has seen in their dreams and was really cool around them. Not a big deal for a guy who mounted a BAR on the struts of his super cub and shot them from the air.

Default blackie

i killed a black bear intent on sinking his teeth into me a few years ago with a ruger 44 super redhawk. (it was spring and I think he had been fighting as he was mauled up pretty bad) I dont shoot pistols much but do carry them at times when I need both hands to work. Guess I could have had bear spray... Dont forget about the Warden in the lower 48 that saved himself from a sow grizzly with a 357 if I remember right... caught on film too..... but there are still some on here that will insist you are better off packin a stick than a pistol for bear protection.... I have always wondered how they get around the fact that the little 44 handgun has killed every big game critter in the world a few times over .....

Default Here are some...

from this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25015

http://dwb.adn.com/front/story/5591480p-5522882c.html

and ADN:
    http://dwb.adn.com/front/story/5591480p-5522882c.html

I recall several incidents through Anchorage Daily News (www.adn.com) archive search function. The subjects: handguns/bear/44mag/hiking/fishing are familiar spring topics on OSA. Advanced Search function will get you there if interested.

Good luck.

Yup! The times have changed...and more people are doing it, I guess.

I still think the guy that killed one with the stick holds the record for king of cajones (or LUCK!) though.

I still like the idea of a large forward shooting "bear spray" can mounted in a "tactical mount" on the bottom of my 12ga! Spray first/shoot second, or visa-versa. Forget the laser and the taclite.

Pulled and pointed a few times but never had to fire. I have fired into the ground for moose.
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-07-2010 at 16:01.

Default Had to take down an interior grizzly...

20 years ago with a .41 blackhawk while moose hunting. Couldn't get to my rifle in time. Had a moose down near Minto and the bear wanted that moose as much as I did. It took three shots but down the boar went. Like Familyman's friend, it died at my feet
    Didn't have a tag so I had to turn the hide in to moose and goose. Was I ever glad to be wearing that pistol!!! I also keep my rifle a lot closer to my kill and make it a point to talk out loud as I work on skinning now. Certainly learned my lesson.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Pulled and pointed a few times but had to fire. I have fired into the ground for moose.
    But never had to fire

Default How about a bear stop with hand (only)?

Devon Rees, 18 y/o Eagle River man fights bear to a draw last year :

http://www.adn.com/2008/08/05/484087...attacking.html

I watched a bow-hunting video last year where the guys stalked witin 20-30yds of a big Brownie laying on a kill. When the bear woke-up unexpectedly and started to take a step in their direction, the hunter dropped his bow and grabbed his LAR Grizzly in .45winmag, one shot to the dome stopped that boar. Can't remember the name of the film right now.
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Devon Rees, 18 y/o Eagle River man fights bear to a draw last year :
    Now THAT might beat out the guy with the stick for pure cajones.
    Especially if he BIT out a piece of the Bear's ear or some such...

New suggestion for the UFC....(I KNOW Dana White would go for it)...maybe give Anderson Silva some competition.

I'll be in the back yard practicing MMA-kicking goats (I hear they're the toughest)...or maybe a donkey.

Sounds kinda like this guy got mauled by a bear, probably in the fetile position, then staggered out of the woods and called 911, and fabricated the whole story to make himself sound like a "badass bear brawler" he was probably drunk, to be honest lol.

http://doubletoughoutdoors.com/the-longest-minute/
    this is one too that made the rounds but just simply an amazing story

I have drawn once on a sow with 2 cubs, thankfully for all involved mamma bear decided to leave with her cubs.

There have been a few such situations in Wy and Mt in the past few years. One guy was jumped last summer by a grizzly, and he shot it with a 41 mag pistol, 2 hits with complete penetrations, and a dead sow. Was about a 300 lb bear. Another guy killed one in Mt a year or so ago with a 41. Have heard of a couple others.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/topic/?q=jerry%20ruth&t=&l=25&d=&d1=&d2=&f=html&s=&sd=as c

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    I watched a bow-hunting video last year where the guys stalked witin 20-30yds of a big Brownie laying on a kill. When the bear woke-up unexpectedly and started to take a step in their direction, the hunter dropped his bow and grabbed his LAR Grizzly in .45winmag, one shot to the dome stopped that boar. Can't remember the name of the film right now.
    -J
    It's a Jack Brittingham video. It's his hunting Alaskan big game volume 1 or 2. I have it on DVD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast