Thread: Calling.

Default Calling.

Does anyone here every try calling for black bears and if so how has it worked out for you?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Thumbs up Try it...

While moose hunting once, I hadn't seen much for moose that day, so I busted out the bunny squealer and gave it a few blasts after spotting a coyote. I saw the coyote at 175 yds, squealed, it stopped, headed towards me, then stopped and turn, looking to it's right and hesitating, then skeedattled. I looked over in the direction the yote was looking at and saw a black bear heading my way at a pretty good clip about 80 yards out. When it got to 20 yds and I really got a good look at it, it was just a 3 yr old dink, so I purposely spooked him away. I've called alot with various types of calls (bear cub bawl, elk calf in distress, bunny squeal, etc.) after seeing bears during different times of the year up here and that's the only bear that I've ever had that reacted to one (At least that I'm aware of). I think that it was more of a coincidence due to the bear being in the close proximity and it just happened to hear the call and reacted. I'm not sure. I've heard of just a few isolated stories hear and there about someone calling in a bear and shooting it, but not very many. But, you also never know unless ya try either. Good luck...

I have a video of a guy calling in bears. He called in two, same story. He had a call in his pocket and decided to give it a try and it worked. I forget the name of the video but I'll PM it to you once I get home and take a look at it.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Calling..

I've set up calling stands last year and had mixed results. In my experiences with it it seems that the more and longer I layed on the call the better chance of a bear to come in. With that being said you really have to be ready when the bushes start to move and out pops a big ***** brownie coming in like it was his last meal. I soon became a caller from 12 ft high stands ONLY...Give it a try, it can be productive.

Default wayne carlton calling bears- they come to eat dvd

i have this movie here-

http://hs.logo-shop.net/index.php?ma...products_id=19

in it he calls several bears effectively.

i must admit i am not a fan of his moose calling skills.

i learned from this video and tried it. here was my experience-

out of whitter setting shrimp pots and staying at cabin. check pots in the morning on way out of coghill bay. crusing islands and glassing, and naked eye looking for blackies about april/may 8 years ago. several days of shrimp but bears wern't out yet. then the last day-

saw nice big black maybe 600 yards up hill on island. i'm off boat on shore and stalking up to this big fat foraging bad boy. then i remember i have a squealin rabbit call in one of my pockets. i fiqure why go all the way up there if i can get him closer it will be less that i have to pack him out.

as you'll see in the video, calling bears gets them coming HARD AND FAST!

anyway back to it. i find a good brush pile to hide behind. i get set up and let er rip. my first squeal immediately got his attention. he quickly looked in that genaral direction look, if you know what i mean.

i never got off another squeal before he had started up the mountain headed for the top, obviously spooked. i did call some more thinking maybe he'd change his mind. but my attempts were half harted. it was obvious the more i squealed the faster he exited.

had i kept my mouth shut, he was an easy 6X6 kill. i must admit when i first put my scope on him i thought it maybe was a black grizzley or something crazy for a split second. he was that huge. the biggest black bear i've ever seen.

time was constrained and had to get back home. i was puzzled. sure i knew my calling had spooked him. no question. i knew he didn't see me, smell me, ect.

it was my call that sent him running. but runnung away from me. then i fiqured it out on the drive home.

you see there are no rabbitts on the islands. DUH! talk about feeling like an idiot. and there you have it, the moral of the story. i have called in other varmits, but not on the islands.

with the excpetion of minks on motague wich will curiously come to the strangest things. like the rattling of a wrapper, ect.

i highly recommend the movie above. i have not persued calling bears since my experience but i do believe it too be effective the movie shows it. i just did it wrong, not my call audio but the location. besides i am more of an ungulate persuer and lover of nature. someday the right bear opportunity will present itself to me. perhaps spring 2011 in kodiak. i will see when the drawing is revealed.

i would not reccomend calling bears alone. period!

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I have a video of a guy calling in bears. He called in two, same story. He had a call in his pocket and decided to give it a try and it worked. I forget the name of the video but I'll PM it to you once I get home and take a look at it.
    It is a Jack Brittingham DVD.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Calling

I have not verified the regs yet, but I was thinking that running a Raven/Magpie call near my bait station might be a good idea. I thought I might give it a try.

i've tried calling black bears a lot with not great results. most calling has been just randomly walking through the woods, seeing sign and just setting up and calling. i've actually had some come in that i never saw, the evidence was as i was walking out there were tracks headed right for where i was set up but somehow spooked. on wayne carltons video all the bears he calls he can already see so unless you're bow hunting i dont see the risk in spooking them with a call. i spotted one snoozing under a tree a couple hundred yards off and gave the rabbit in distress call, he lifted his head peared around and put it right back on the ground and went back to sleep anyways i just walked closer without trying to call again and shot him as he lay. had much better luck with coyotes but i would still like to call one in without seeing it first. i ve always been intrigued by calling bears and will continue to do so....even if it hasn't worked well so far.

I got Carltons vid. the other day. I learned a lot from it. Even with the success he has had he kinda made it sound like it is hit and miss. I think I will take a call to my bait station, but only use it if I a bear is close but shy about coming in. Even then it sounds like it might not do much, but if he ain't coming in I figure I got nothing to lose anyway.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default use your moose call to do a death quivering/gurgle?

perhaps because were in the great ak, calling like a wounded moose? hehehehe -i don't know about that idea, but i do know browns come running to moose calls for sure. scared me bad one time. made it hard to call again for moose. i lost my gusto and you could hear it in my call. took 3 days for me to call again good. but calling blacks i don't know of that as per alaska, i've never yet heard someone's sucess in that. not yet

i think another important consideration is that animals will chase potential dinner if it doesn't equate to more energy spent than will be recieved. so if your calling like a rabbitt, there not gonna run a mile for a morsel.

but if there close enough you just might get em. big blacks often are quick and keen. what a nose they have. and eyes and ears arent too shabby, i have heard there eyes aren't so good, but i haven't seen that. but the big ones get big for a reason. they don't make many mistakes. nor will you if your totally stoked, and you appear to be.

if the situation comes and your gonna call be prepared for the double back/ circle round flank your postion tactic or the head long full boar charge, or the i'm interested but not over-interested closing of the gap. or the run away from you as fast as hell possibilty. one of my biggest lessons about calling is that it must make sense to the animal according to how keen it is and your presentation. as yogi used to say "smarter than the average bear" boo boo. wind and smell is the biggest factor IMO for blacks

magpies sound like a great idea. you'd be the first i've known to bag a black with any call, so please let me know how calling goes

you know i have always wondered if a moose calf bleat would get the attention of a bear......i think itd be worth tryin, but you better be up a tree with a good view.

you guys try it first and let me know!

Release Lake Trout

Default AZ and WA calling tactics

I'm familiar with calling in Arizona and Washington, through associations but not me. In both places the calls are directed at an observed bear, with boars most likely to respond for some reason.

You can't bait in either state so they have to get creative. A friend in Arizona was calling into a canyon from half way up the canyon wall and had a boar come down his back trail and ended up shooting the bear from the hip at about 20 feet (so the story goes), but that's enough for me to recommend a partner and a safe stand location.

Default Ive done it!

I did a little late season calling last year off the parks highway. I was able to call in magpies, eagles and one fox. No bears. I did see a blackbear at a long distance (looked like a bb with the naked eye) i treid the hare in distress call i carry at all times with no interest. The wind was blowing from the bear to me and I am not sure the call carried that far.

I did have one success in washinton 15 yrs ago when a small bear resonded to a call. it was a very young bear and we passed.