Thread: Advice on a place to take some newbies

Default Advice on a place to take some newbies

So just a bit of background before my question. I've been snowmobiling quite a bit for work, hauling gear to remote bush camps. My wife and I are both thinking of getting a couple machines to haul wood, get into the backcountry cabins, and do some exploring. So, I was thinking this opportunity to rent a couple machines would be good to try out few different models. I was thinking the 550 Tundra LT, or Bearcat for the work horse, then somthing to play around on.

Anyway, to my question. My family has come up to see our new baby and my sister wants to go snowmobiling. I know of a good rental place in Girdwood, Alaska Snow Safaris, but I don't know of any good, safe places to take my family in that general direction. I've read a bit on the Willow area and have skied into the Nancy lakes area but that area is up north while the rental company is down south of Anchorage. I figure there are a couple options. Rent in Girdwood with a place highly recommended on this forum, then turn around and head north. Not a huge deal but kind of a waste of time. Or find a place down south to ride. I'd be fine with the Kenai and such. Or find a rental place up north and go up north. Sure would be nice to find a good, safe place to ride and in the same general direction of the rental company. Anyway, we don't have much time as we pretty much have to go Monday, the 8th or my sister leaves. Sure would be nice to get them someplace scenic, enjoyable, and above all else, safe place to ride. Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Ride Willow

While I can't recommend a rental place in Wasilla, I do know that there are at least one or two plus, I have heard of one on big Lake. But what I can say... the trails around the Willow area are the finest and funnest that I have seen all winter. THANK YOU TRAIL BOSS! A buddy and I were out on them today and everything is wonderfully marked, they are fast and you can see what is coming up or the other way. right now I would recommend riding the Willow area to anyone beginner or expert alike.

Willow is always good. The run from Deshka landing up to Luces is a good all-around ride. Newbies can stay on the trail, more experienced riders can go off-trail and powder-hound next to them. We rode Eureka yesterday and it would have been an EXCELLENT place to take newbies, as the trail was groomed. We rode mostly off-trail but a newbie would have had the option of on-trail or off-trail as they liked.

You can rent from "Alaska Toy Rental" in Wasilla. I have no affiliation with them, so hopefully it's ok to say their name here.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

You can also go out to Petersville and rent sleds from Gate Creek, Craig has a nice fleet of newer Ski Doo's. He can even take you on a tour if you so choose.

Will be making a river run on Saturday with some newbies and they are renting from the Toy Shed in Wasilla. If you would like to tag along let me know.