Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gun???

Default What gun???

Hello-

I am getting stationed in Fairbanks, and plan to move up within the next two months. I currently have a Tikka stainless .270, and know that I will need something bigger, and would only like to only have to purchase one more.

The gun I plan on getting is a Remington 700 XCR but the caliber is were I need your help with. I've narrowed it down to .338 WM or .375 H&H.

Please give me your insight.

Kevin

Being as you already have your mountain gun figured out (270 Tikka) I think either the 338 or the 375 would suit you well. Unless you plan on chasing brown bears, or even if you do the 338 will work for ya. Are you planning on staying in AK? I think a 338 WM would suit ya better in the lower 48 than a 375, but if you have Africa in your sights the choice is clear then.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one though. Just pick one and shoot it often to get proficient. Good luck with your choice.

Why?

If you like your .270 and shoot it well just use it and save your money for everything else you're going to need (like air charters!). Wait till you're here a while and determine what (if anything) else you want. The .270 with a good bullet will kill most anything in the Interior and it makes a fabulous carribou rifle.

Hope your enjoy your time here!

Agreed with hodgeman - keep the .270, and buy anything else you might want later after you spend some time here and figure out what you want to chase. A .270 will be fine for everything from black bear and caribou up to moose and interior grizzlies. If you decide you want to chase coastal brown bears, a larger gun might be in order, but you can do that later if needed.

Brian, have you seen some of these interior Grizz?

Lol, I have seen some up here that would put the coastal's to shame.

I've been stationed up here a year and a half so I'm no expert but here's my take.

.270 Winchester will do the job on everything except maybe coastal browns. I personally would want a bigger gun if I was trying to get close to one.

I carry my .243 more than any other gun. The actual big game rifle seasons are more or less a month long. Bears being the exception. Outside of that, I am always on the lookout for predators with my .243. I also carry a couple of my "heavy" hand loads that I would not hesitate to take a black bear with in the right situation.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I planed on keeping my .270, that was why I was leading towards the 375. I have a guy here in Texas with an FFL who helps out the military and ships and receives guns free. I have found a new 700XCR 375 for 740 shipped. I think that this is a great deal. What do y'all think?

Kevin

338 and 375 are very popular calibers in Alaska.
    I might lean towards a 375 for you since it is a step change from your 270. You would have all game covered. Sheep, goats, blacktails, caribou, black bear; I would use the 270. Moose, bison, and brown bear; I would use the .375. I recently purchased a new remington 700 xcr .375 for $800 here in AK; so $740 seems like a good price.

Default 338wm

Your 270 is perfect for 95% of all the animals in AK, especially if you can shoot it with confidence.

But ,if your going to move up, seriously consider the 338WM. That is all I shoot and its never let me down. I hand load 180g accubonds for deer, caribou, sheep and 225g partitions for everything bigger.

I have a 30-06 and a 375 but they seem to leave the safe. I am always concerned about being "undergunned" with the 06' especially with longrange shots or in winds. The 375 is heavy, recoils hard, makes laotsa noise, and dosent seem to accomplish that much more than the 338.

Theres a reason the popular caliber in the survery was the 338. It kills the smaller animals just as dead, and delivers almost as much punch as the bigger calibers without alot of the fanfare. And you wont need a wagon to carry it.

have fun and keep keep it in the cross hairs!!!

Real good combinations:

.270 & .338WM

.30-06 & .375 H&H

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Brian, have you seen some of these interior Grizz?

Lol, I have seen some up here that would put the coastal's to shame.
    Yeah, there's some large ones, and if I was going hunting for one I'd probably carry my .338. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot at most of the interior grizz I've seen with a .270.

I like to hunt down on Kodiak and prefer to have something heavier than my 270 when I do. A 338 can be loaded down w/ 180's for deer or goats but when you are banging brush where an up close run in with a brown bear is more likely you can keep it packed w/ heavier 250 grn bullets. The 338 still affords the long range capability of lighter 180 grn rounds (I shot a goat at 300+ this past year) while providing you an option of switching loads to the proven big bear stopping power of a heavy premium bullet all in the same package.

The heck with waiting until you get here to decide what you need. Moving to Alaska is a much better excuse to buy a new rifle than I ever have. Buy one gun before you get here, another one when you do, then you'll need a predator rifle, a mountain rifle...... You can never have too many.

But you said you only want to have to buy one more. The 338 is a much better fit for most of the hunting you'll do, but if you have a great price on a 375 then go for it. If you find out once you get here that the 375 is more gun than you want or need you can easily sell up here for what you paid. The Remington XCR in 375 are going for around $1000 off the shelf here in Anchorage.

My Remington XCR .338wm has taken moose, bison, and black bear. I've neve seen an animal hit the ground faster than the cow bison with a 225 grain bullet through both shoulders.

Default Was there,, many years ago

Same situation, KRG, I had a SAKO 7 MAG, when I got to AK a guy had one for sale in 375 H&H.

Personally, if I was doing it again, I'd stick with the 270 and get a same model 338. More versatile in the lower 48 and should you find yourself needing more, that's a great excuse to buy a new rifle in 375 or 416

Default 270

I would go with the 338. It will do it all. Im not a 270 fan, even the greatest 270 fan of all time (O'Connor) admitted it was a little on the light side for moose. Yea it will kill them, grizzly too, but it is not a caliber I would advise anyone to hunt interior grizzly with there are just to many other better calibers out there. I have spent to many days tracking wounded moose while guiding lower 48 hunters that brought up their favorite 270 deer rifle.

Default guns galore!

.338 (whatever brand) synthetic stock in stainless. don't get a muzzle break, bruised shoulder's & ego's heal but busted ear drums don't.

LS

Default Question

Having shot both calibers, here's something for discussion:

To me, the .338 has harsher, sharper recoil than the pushy hit of the .375.

How does it feel to you guys?

Default 338 vs 375

I have both. I also feel the 338 has a sharper recoil vs the 375 push. Both are great calibers. For Alaska go with the 375 BUT if a posible transfer to western state with Elk a 338 might work better. As previouly stated the price you have been offered for the 375 sure makes sense to buy that. If you need to sell it at a later date you will get your money back. Welcome to our great state and thank you for serving our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Having shot both calibers, here's something for discussion:

To me, the .338 has harsher, sharper recoil than the pushy hit of the .375.

How does it feel to you guys?
    Your .375 is heavier that your .338. Maybe the added weight helps with recoil a little, much like shooting two handguns of the same caliber, but one lighter than the other.

It think recoil velocity is the primary factor in how the two of you, Sir and Ray, as well as myself, perceive the difference in felt recoil between the .338WM and the .375HH rounds. I also find the .375 "easier" shooting over the .338 and the .338 easier shooting than the .300WM. The .300 has a very sharp recoil to me, just a quick, basic point of view here.

As to which caliber top step up to, I would suggest the .338WM as well, it is very popular for good reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast