Thread: any one have snowreport for eureka

Default any one have snowreport for eureka

with how warm its been, and the ididarod restart on sunday anyone have any reports of eurekah

We rode snowmobiles in Eureka yesterday. Conditions were quite good. The snow isn't particularly deep but we found areas with 3-4 feet and very forgiving...nearly impossible to get stuck. We rode up the main trail (like going towards Monument) then cut off on the Outer Loop Trail and up the Little Nelchina valley. Some of the best snow is right in the beginning- if you leave the parking lot and then hang a right before the big hill, there is a field there just full of untouched (well, mostly- we touched it!) powder and lots of fun. Found good powder in the Little Nelchina area also, and on some of the ponds/swamps. Some areas were a bit windblown and the snow was hard-soft-hard so we moved on until we found consistently soft snow. Was a great day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

We were up there on Friday, windy and snowing, but we were able to find some good snow to have fun. Went north of the lodge and then south of the road, had a good time in both areas. I did get stuck a few times, but that is mainly my own fault.

as i recently learned, you might want to adjust your limiter strap to get that front end down...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    as i recently learned, you might want to adjust your limiter strap to get that front end down...
    Sounds like there might be a story there? Limiter strap, or an adjustement of the "NUT" behind the handlebars? lol

Anyone have current Eureka snow conditions? Did the warm spell we had down here make it that far, or is there some snow left?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I was up there Saturday but I didn't go far mainly due to the lack of viz

It was gorgeous until we got within 20 miles of eureka and then the clouds just SOCKED in

Made to 4 corners and then came back and did some boondocking to the west (?)

The trails had plenty sufficient cover where I was riding but that's all I can really comment on

I wouldn't think they've deteriorated much since then

Off trail where we were riding there was a crust and then WHAM through you went with nothing underneath, then again I'm not much of an off trail rider

This was my only time out thus far this year so I can't tell you how things are compared to earlier in the year

Thanks. We may be headed up there Saturday.

ya the NUT looks like it might be a bit loose!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Snow gets better the farther back you go. Last Saturday visibility was pretty lousy, until the Little Nel. In Horsepasture the weather was awesome, and the snow pretty much untouched.

FYI we were out in Eureka on Saturday the 27th. We started out on the south side of the highway but the clouds started rolling in on that side so we moved over the North side and started up Gunsight. The snow on both sides was bottomless and sugary. Very easy to get stuck in, but fun. I'd say we had at least 4 feet of depth.

Was there Friday the 26th. As mentioned above snow was deep. We rode toward Cameron Pass, just right behind the lodge. Going back again on Friday the 2nd of April.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Rode Eureka today. Snow conditions were somewhat better than last week, a bit more consolidated but still bottomless in places and lots of stucks. We rode south of the highway mostly but jumped over and went up Belanger pass area at the end. Nice weather, in the high 20's and sunny. The lake on the south side just before Gunsight Lodge is starting to melt though, and although there was good deep snow in Eureka everything just south has lost nearly all the snow on the south facing slopes. Not much left to this season.

Question

Do there tend to be main trails that are well traveled or do people tend to go off every direction? What is the consistency of the snow?

I ask because I ride a dirtbike with bolted tires and my buddy is on a 4 wheeler. When we ride, we have to stay on packed snow. Its basically got to be hard enough to support ones body weight and some without crushing or have something fairly solid within 6". We can get out in fresh pow if its on a lake and there is ice to dig in. Generally off trail doesn't work. We'd like to ride Eureka or Gunsight now that the snow should be setup well.

Quote Originally Posted by shinyboat View Post
    Do there tend to be main trails that are well traveled or do people tend to go off every direction? What is the consistency of the snow?

I ask because I ride a dirtbike with bolted tires and my buddy is on a 4 wheeler. When we ride, we have to stay on packed snow. Its basically got to be hard enough to support ones body weight and some without crushing or have something fairly solid within 6". We can get out in fresh pow if its on a lake and there is ice to dig in. Generally off trail doesn't work. We'd like to ride Eureka or Gunsight now that the snow should be setup well.
    The main trails are packed hard enough that four wheelers can use them. There are main trails primarily near Eureka Lodge and from the big parking lot just past it on the left. People ride everywhere out there, but the trail up to Monument and the Outer Loop Trails are packed hard. We saw people up there a few weeks ago using side-by-side UTV's. There are even some well-packed trails headed up to Gunsight, although not sure how long they stay packed. The trail up Belanger pass was also hard pack. I wouldn't have hesitated to ride a four wheeler. Not sure about a bike, but it'd probably be ok.

My recommendation would be to stay off the lakes. They're starting to melt, even as far north as Eureka. We got into some overflow yesterday and my old man said that his snowmobile actually started to sink.

Once things start to melt the whole game plan will change though- it'll get really sloppy and probably hard to ride no matter what you're on.

I rode there on Friday and the snow off trail is heavy sugary snow. Once off trail you need to practically keep it pinned to keep from getting stuck. The main trails are packed super hard and can be driven on by just about anything with a motor on it. The south side of the highway looked pretty good too but I didn't get a chance to ride that side.

Don't know how much longer it will be rideable on a sled with these warm temps and lack of new snow.

I'm going to be looking south to the KP for the rest of the season since they are getting snow almost daily.