Thread: regs on silencers

Default regs on silencers

Anybody know the laws on use of silencers/supresors and whats the difference?

they are both the same thing ..a suppressor is design to supress a gun shot from it normal sound levels down to a factor that is safe for you ..

if you are going into the class three world and Alaska is one of the 35 states that you allowed to own suppressor and other class three items like full auto machine guns and belt fed machine guns ...i love a belt fed in the morning ....

here some basic rules of owning a class three item..

find a class three dealer in alaska and he will help you with the paperwork and explain how the system work and how long it going to take at times ..plus there is any problems with your paperwork he can help you with it ...

remember class three items are one of the things in life you just do not run down to the local gunshop and pick up and take right home ..so there is thing you need to remember about the class three world.. getting stupid with cost you time in a federal hotel for a while ..so do not do stupid things,,

go to your local class three dealer and ask him if does a demo test on a range and if he will let you shoot diff types of suppressor unit ..most people start out with a rimfire model and then move up to the bigger units for rifles and pistol

plus remember the $.200.oo dollar one time tax stamp per unit on top of the price of the unit that your are buying ..so if your unit is $.500.oo dollars plus the 200.oo dollars on top of that ..so if you buy another unit it another 200,.oo dollars with that unit also ..

you have to go though a background check ..if you own a handgun you can own a suppressor unit ..

use the trust system it better than haveing to deal with local police on the matter of getting them to sign off on the forms

fill out forms and get your fringer print cards done and passport sized photos .. some police dept make you pays for haveing the fringer prints cards done so remember that . then get everything to togerther and send it in to the ATF along with the money order for 200 dollar tax stamp ..if there a problem and you do not get approved the money is refunded back to you .. also make sure you fringer print card are not smudge for it kick it back to you and you have to do it all over around

wait time is about 120 day on to get back the all the paperwork and you should be able to pick up your new toy

your dealer will call you and let you know that your paperwork has cleared and you can come pick up the item ..

keep it a safe place at home ..also make copys of the tax stamp and file the tax stamp in a safe place for safe keeping ..with the copys put the one in the hardshell case that you should have when going around the with unit from the range to home ..to show that it a legal system ..

here is a list of the people who do class three items in the state of alaska

artic arms 907 770 7502
    arms and equipment 907 479 4867
    b&b firearms 907 333 9461
    artic custom services 907 376 0703

call them up and talk to them about the ownership of the items that you want and remember class three items are very pricey toys to have ..

www.guntrustlawyer.com

Same thing, different word as far as I'm concerned. I have a couple, .220 and .308, I have a .338 on order. You generally need to buy them from a dealer first. The dealer will store it in a safe location while you go through the process of getting approved for a class three license from BATF http://www.atf.gov/

There is a tax of $200 and the process generally takes 4-6 weeks. In my state the paper work has to be signed by the local police chief, Sheriff or head of state police which ever is applicable. You also have to get finger printed and take a pass port photo. All of this information is included in the form you submit with the $200 bucks and wait.

If you're clean you get the stamp. Once you have it you can claim your suppressor from the dealer that you purchased it from. The whole point in pre purchasing it is to get a serial number, that is the number on your permit. The permit or a copy of it needs to be with you any time you have the suppressor out of your house. Most states prohibit killing game with a suppressed weapon.

HA HA, sorry Henry2, we were typing at the same time...

Cheers

keep the paperwork in a ziplock bag for the suppressor unit ..i keep my suppressor in a hardshell case with the paperwork on top of them for that the first thing you see when opeing the case..

along a rules about the class three world for some law enforcement officer really do not understand how the class three world work and they have been schooled a little bit ..

if stoped and the officer wants to take the suppressor and take back to the station let him and just follow him down to the station and let them work out the legal part down there ..do not give the guy a hard time about takeing it ..you get you suppressor back after they go though the legal dept and they find out a person can own something like that and you get back in a couple of days or right after they find it legal to own and they let you have right then and there ..and they try and tell you that you can own it ..go and get a lawyer and let him do your fighting with the dept ..in the end you get your unit back and nice letter from the chief of police saying that there are sorry ..way to go on that one buffalo spring police dept ..

remember with class three world is a lot of fun but also at times you can not do stupid things anymore for they can take your fun toys away from you over doing something stupid ..

i have one for the 1911 and the 308 rifle i own ..they are great when useing sub loads the m1a scout model will not fuction with the one load i have but it fun to shoot it sound like a puff when shot and when it the steel gong it rings the gong ..

the bigger suppressor unit like the 45.acp and the big bore rifles are the hardest to suppressor ..so you not going to get hollywood quiet on some of the round but you get close ..with enough wet lube in the unit it can get a little scarey for the round hitting the target are louder than the gun fireing ..

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    use the trust system it better than haveing to deal with local police on the matter of getting them to sign off on the forms
    Henry, can you elaborate on this a little more - I didn't realize there was 2 ways.
    Thanks

there are 3 ways to purchase class 3 firearms; if you are not a class 3 dealer

1. Personal ownership where an idividual applys for the tax stamp; this requires fingerprinting and a sign-off from the local law enforcement.
    2. Living trust; The owner of the suppressor and listed on the tax stamp is a living trust. Complete a trust and register the trust if applicable. Send the trust with application.
    3. Set-up a LLC; thus a business owns the suppressor. This requires a renewal of the business license yearly; etc.

Depending on where you live and your situation; one way may be better than the other.
    Some sherrifs will not sign-off so you can go the trust route or form a LLC.
    You can have a lawyer draw up a trust for $700-$1500 or you could buy a $40 program and DIY. Obviously a lawyer would not advise that; I know many folks you have done the cheap route. You just have to decide what you are comfortable with.

If you search the internet there are many resources that explain this, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post

1. Personal ownership where an idividual applys for the tax stamp; this requires fingerprinting and a sign-off from the local law enforcement.
    2. Living trust; The owner of the suppressor and listed on the tax stamp is a living trust. Complete a trust and register the trust if applicable. Send the trust with application.
    3. Set-up a LLC; thus a business owns the suppressor. This requires a renewal of the business license yearly; etc.

Depending on where you live and your situation; one way may be better than the other.
    Some sherrifs will not sign-off so you can go the trust route or form a LLC.
    You can have a lawyer draw up a trust for $700-$1500 or you could buy a $40 program and DIY. Obviously a lawyer would not advise that; I know many folks you have done the cheap route. You just have to decide what you are comfortable with.

If you search the internet there are many resources that explain this, as well.
    what he said.. like he said about some of the sheriff not signing off on the paperwork ..so trust was a lot easlyer in the long run along with the bypassing them for one such sheriff was such a --head about signing the paperwork for he thinks that only bad people need items like that and would not sign off on the forms ..

we used a suppressored rifles around the farm to keep the noise down when haveing to put down pest animals or yotes or animals that got hit by a car ..so not make a lot of noise when putting the animal down

i used to use a sbr set up of a glock 17 long slide with suppressor with red dot scope and folding shoulder stock to shoot snakes in the front yard to keep the grandkid safe .now i have a 1911 sbr set up with a metal shoulder stock and suppressor and redot scope and my play set up for playing around the front pouch and shooting pest animals with it ..

like i said the a lot of paperwork is going to be filed and make sure it right the first time when doing it ..so you might want to take to a lawyer and have them fill it out ..find a guntrust lawyer and they will help you ..

How does it work if I want to make my own? Do I file for a stamp/ paper work first and give them a serial#? Can I do this without having to get some type of manufacturing license? Can I make one unit with interchangable inner parts so that it will fit different cals/guns using one serial #. I would like to have one but don't want to spend $500+ for something I can make myself for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    How does it work if I want to make my own? Do I file for a stamp/ paper work first and give them a serial#? Can I do this without having to get some type of manufacturing license? Can I make one unit with interchangable inner parts so that it will fit different cals/guns using one serial #. I would like to have one but don't want to spend $500+ for something I can make myself for $20.
    Very good question, the laws are convoluted enough on building and numbering a gun from scratch. Without an FFL you can do 1 gun a year so if we can even build a suppresser how many is too many? They would be very easy to make from what I have seen.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

still file a form 1 i that the form to make a home made suppressor without the paperwork in hand do not try to do that ..

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post

4. Incorporate. The corp owns the suppressor.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I certainly have no intention of making one without knowing for sure that it's legal and that I have any needed paperwork. I work in a prison and have no desire to live in one. I wonder if there's a BATF in Anchorage.