Thread: How has camo rifle paint held up?

Default How has camo rifle paint held up?

I like the looks of the camo painted rifles, especially the winter camouflage. There are several older threads that show some finished rifles that were painted with rattle cans (a search for “paint” in this sub-forum will give you several threads to choose from). How have those paint jobs held up after regular use, being shot, banged around and exposed to the elements etc.? Thanks in advance.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The hard part is mixing the colors in the can so they spray properly.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I only have one rifle that I've completely rattle canned. It's held up amazingly well with the Krylon white. The stock is synthetic and a couple small areas have flaked off, but not worth re-painting over. My new rifle that's on the way has a Imron paint job on the stock and stainless barrel, so it should be even tougher. If you want something that's pretty much bomb-proof, use the Imron. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation and wear a mask when you spray that Imron, it's pretty toxic stuff.

Default SC

You are right, Imron is toxic. Actually it is the isocynates in the activator that is bad voodoo. Nobody makes a cartridge that protects against it. Read the labels and MSDS prior to using the stuff.
    As I recall only a Supplied Air Respirator or similar is approved, and then only with a full face mask, not a 1/2 mask.
    As for camo, I normally go with white surveyors flagging, ace bandages, or athletic tape or such. I just can't quite get over painting a wooden stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    As for camo, I normally go with white surveyors flagging, ace bandages, or athletic tape or such. I just can't quite get over painting a wooden stock.
    You could always go with the true alaskan rifle camo and cover it with camoflage duct tape.

ill second the camo duct tape. i taped up an old .243 a while back scope and all and it held up well. If you get the non-residue tape you can remove it if you ever want to sell it as i imagine a spray painted gun may have a hard time being a big seller if you need to get rid of it.