Thread: Cameras on float hunts

Default Cameras on float hunts

I'll be taking a 15 day float hunt this fall and was wondering how many of you guys take SLR cameras with changeable lenses? If so, how do you pack them in the raft?

For those who have taken them who would not take them next time and why?

thanks.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I'll be taking a 15 day float hunt this fall and was wondering how many of you guys take SLR cameras with changeable lenses? If so, how do you pack them in the raft?

For those who have taken them who would not take them next time and why?

thanks.

kingfisherktn
    I have folks bring 'em all the time.

The first step is a quality case that is as bombproof as possible.

LINK

When packing cameras in the raft you have to strike a balance between "securely stowed" and "easily accessible". Generally rule of thumb is to keep the camera in it's case and the case attached to either the frame or a solid lash point (D-Ring), but within "grabbing" range while underway.

I've had folks bring along water-proof divers cases as well that allow them to shoot while protecting the camera. Pretty nifty. If he doesn't chime in, PM Phish as he has a wealth of knowledge in this category...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Cameras On Float Trips.

I usually take a video camera. I use a couple of Dry bags for mine, which is pretty easy these days since they make a number of light weight ones.
    A Big Must is desiccant bags for keeping the moisture out of your camera.
    I use one bag with desiccant for storing and traveling with the camera. I use one dry bag for transporting the camera in the field and I usually have an extra just in case I the filed bag starts collection moisture.
    This has worked very well for me including last year on Kodiak during the most rainfall ever recorded on Kodiak Island in a 24 hour period.

I have found that the field bag may collect moisture from pulling the camera in and out of the bag for use during wet periods.

I usually dry the inside of the field bag and wipe the camera off before storing the camera over night in the one setup with the desiccant.

Haven't had a moisture problem since and anyone that hunts Kodiak in mid to late October, can confirm that that is saying a mouth full
    Louis

Good info, thanks.

kingfisherktn

I usually take a DSLR with lenses in a Pellican box, but often take something smaller & faster to pull out too. In the past I would take a superzoom type point & shoot in another small Peilican box that I kept close at all times, and this worked pretty well for wildlife & other things that we floated on by.

But I've always wanted to bring a waterproof point & shoot that I could keep out & ready for anything and any time. Too many times I would be occupied doing the manditory chore of rowing the boat to be able to take the few seconds to get the camera out, shoot, and then more seconds to get it back in the box before getting splashed.

The problems in the past with the usual (Olympus) waterproof cameras was the image quality. Oly usually makes great cameras, but for some reason thier waterproof models didn't cut it, and there have been lots of complaints about it. Pentax does a better job with image quality, but they lack the image stabilization that I didn't want to do without. Recently more camera makers have entered the fray with new water reisistant offerings. dpreview.com did a review a while back and they recommended either the Canon or Panasonic models. Panasonic recently announced their new model, so the old one is being heavily discounted. That's what I bought. It's a really nice little camera, with good image quality and video, in a ruggedized body. The only thing it lacks is the extended zoom of my previous point & shoot, so I may still bring it along.

Thanks Jim....

For me there are two options. If I am taking the DSLR and lenses, the Lowepro Dryzone is top shelf. It is a 100% waterproof backpack and built like a brick shet house. If not taking the DSLR, the Pentax Optio W60 is a great 100% waterproof camera. I have taken some great pics with it. Well, mine is the W30, the wife has a W60. Both are great, just older model (W30). Fantastic for float trips. As much as I love photography, on some trips is is hard to justify the weight/bulk of the DSLR. Having a Lowerpro Dryzone and the Pentax W30/W60 gives me the best of both worlds to my way of thinking. Happy to PM you some pics taken with the W60 if that route is of interest. Below is the Lowepro Dryzone bags on B&H. They come in two sizes, I got the larger one. They also come in black, but I opted for yellow/black. If the canoe/raft flips, I would prefer chasing down a yellow bag. Lessons learned from previous trip... Ha ha...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Yellow_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Yellow_.html

I got mine on Ebay for like $180. If you decide to buy one, let me know and I will track down the vendor I used. I got the item about $90 off retail and received it the same week. Many scams on Ebay as you know so be careful. When shopping for my Dryzone, I saw some questionable Canadian/Foreign vendors.

Tull777 frequents the photography forum and he suggested this bag to me. You could PM him as well for info on the bag.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Pelican cases are easy and Allen or Saunya at the tv/dive shop can size them up for ya.

A grip with extra batteries for your cam is a good idea as well.

Housings are expensive unless you will be using them a lot, therefore are cost prohibitive.

The image quality from a SLR exceeds the quality of the point and shoots.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I guess I am less concerning than others here when it comes to my camera. I take a dslr with me on every trip as well as my lenses. I leave them out & at the ready all the time unless it is raining. If for some wierd reason I decieded not to use it I would just put it in my daypack. I used to take all kinds of precautions but finally said, I am tired of not having it out & ready for the picture. The reason I bougt a dslr was so I could take the **** thing with me. I say use it just dont abuse it.

I have never had any damage to it, even with splash & light rain hitting it more than I would like.

Thanks Dan & Phish. I have an Olympus Stylus 550WP (waterproof) the kids got me so I'm thinking of taking both.

Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    I guess I am less concerning than others here when it comes to my camera. I take a dslr with me on every trip as well as my lenses. I leave them out & at the ready all the time unless it is raining. If for some wierd reason I decieded not to use it I would just put it in my daypack. I used to take all kinds of precautions but finally said, I am tired of not having it out & ready for the picture. The reason I bougt a dslr was so I could take the **** thing with me. I say use it just dont abuse it.

I have never had any damage to it, even with splash & light rain hitting it more than I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Thanks Dan & Phish. I have an Olympus Stylus 550WP (waterproof) the kids got me so I'm thinking of taking both.
    I carry a Pentax Optio WP as my "quickie" camera. Make sure it has a lanyard of adequate length and use a caribiner to snap it into the suspenders of your chest waders, letting the camera sit inside the waders. It is always on you, can be left attached for ease of storage/access, and can be unclipped for more involved shots...

Works well for me.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Good advise.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I carry a Pentax Optio WP as my "quickie" camera. Make sure it has a lanyard of adequate length and use a caribiner to snap it into the suspenders of your chest waders, letting the camera sit inside the waders. It is always on you, can be left attached for ease of storage/access, and can be unclipped for more involved shots...

Works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

Works well for me.
    +1 for the Pentax Optio WP60, great little camera. Takes decent photos and it is always in my pocket. I have taken almost every picture I've ever posted with this camera and the older Pentax Optio WP30. Stays on my around my neck or in my pocket at all times. You can even take photos underwater with it.

Steve

Nice shots Stidd.

A Pelican 1500 will probably fit your dslr body and 3 lenses. A dry bag will work, but won't provide any protection while people are stepping in and out of the boat. Mine is orange like the example in the above post. I figure if I flip it's one thing I definitely want to be able to find. I found mine on ebay last year for around $100. It's a cheap investment compared to your camera equipment.

The other nice thing about a Pelican is you can throw your sidearm in for the flight (if you carry a sidearm).
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    The other nice thing about a Pelican is you can throw your sidearm in for the flight (if you carry a sidearm).
    I had already planned another case for that......good idea.