Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have Trouble With Greenies

Default Anyone Have Trouble With Greenies

we were hunting in the fall of 05 out of wittier and had a boat launch a kayaker and proceeded to scare off a very nice jet black blackie. my buddies were disapointed and then we confronted that boat. we exchanged words that were rather harsh and told them i was going to report them. the next day they appoligized at the docks but i called the troopers anyway. i opted not to press charges after the trooper contacted them. but they were scared and learned their lesson, hopefully. i did everything legal by dropping the hunter off and he started his stalk and should have had it. just wondering if anyone else came across a similar incident. also heard they used to cut shrimp lines and just let the bouys float and pots and line sink. that is why i usually try to stay fairly close to my pots. that incident though ruined our fall. i had already shot my bear though but another sure would've been nice. they did get a deer though.

You should have pressed charges since you didn't shoot holes in their boat.

Default Whittier problems!

I haven't even got a chance to fish whittier. I planned on spending alot of hours there this spring and summer but with all the problems in whittier I'm almost ready to say Hell with it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck and You should have tipped the guy over and drove over him. `
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

well the reason why i didn't press charges was the trooper said in court they could say they seen the bear first and i interupted thier viewing. but that wasn't the case and the trooper said they people got a lawyer and were afraid of jail time. so i thought was good enough they got that scared. when we confronted them i pulled my 44 out put it on my dash. they new we had rifles. i gave them a pretty good ear full also while we were bow to bow. hard to say but if there is a next time and i know i am in the right there will probably be lead launched over a bow. that is why i hang close to my pots. anybody messing with them will know i am coming. just sad she ran the bear off. i did buzz her pretty good with my wake. but didn't matter the bear was long gone just from her screaming.
    this past summer and fall was crappy. just bad weather seemed like all the time. i made it out plenty of times to pay for the season boat launch by far. but not nearly as much as 05. only missed two weekends from first week of april to mid august. then off and on for deer and late bears, when i got mine. this summer will hopefully be a good one.

Default Actions

akrstabout:

I would be careful with your actions. Placing a handgun in view of someone could be considered a threat. You were in the right to confront them, but once you took that action, they probably could of reported you for threatening them. Just my opinion, not a lawyer.

In reguards to your wake. You are the Captain of the vessel and responsible for any damage to any other craft or property caused by your wake. So if you casued one of the kayakers to capsize, you would be responsible for the damages and or loss of life if that happened. All they have to do is report your numbers to the Marine Safety Office at the Coast Guard.

I know it is easy to get hot under the collar in these situations. You just don't want to lower yourself to their standards.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

yep understand completely and tried be the better person. i took the pistol, not sure if the seen it. but mainly for protection.. didn't know who they were and what their intentions were. was just wondering if this was just freak thing or if it happens quite often having people run off game. has not happened since and have not seen that boat again. here the name on the radio every now and then. everyone out there seems pretty helpfull and cool most of the time. love that place.

Talking concealed

I thought you were just putting it out there so you couldn't get cited for having a concealed weapon...though, I don't think we have that law in AK?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default No Need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    I thought you were just putting it out there so you couldn't get cited for having a concealed weapon...though, I don't think we have that law in AK?
    It has always been my understanding of the law that any Alaskan can carry a firearm for their protection when hiking, camping, fishing, or the pursuit of any outdoor activity for the purpose of self-defense against animals. That include handguns, concealed.

As a courtesy, whenever approched by a law enforcement officer, Coast Guard or other person of authority, I always inform them that I am carrying or have a firearms stowed. "Officer for your protection I want to inform you that I have a firearm located ________." The response from them has always been positive. If they know where the firearm is, they are less likely to think of you as a criminal and won't be on the defensive if they spot it on their own. Treat our law enforcement, Coast Guard and others with respect and things usually go a lot better.

Some years back the Juneau empire took a picture of our deer after we got into Auke bay and put it in the news paper that day. The greenies here in town got upset because of the deer being shown hanging from the main boom upset their sensibilities. We had 28 deer at the time of the picture this was after 3 other people had taken their deer down an loaded them in there trucks. They wrote letters to the editor and complained. A retired trooper that was doing some gunsmithing at the time took them to task in the same paper pretty well. So I didn't respond in kind as it seemed like he reamed them out pretty good and it would just have given them more headlines. They would sometimes come into where I worked and give me a bad time. Most of them are transplants and their geographical orientation does not let them understand Alaskans and the subsistance life style. They are a vocal minority here and I try to do what I can to educate them or forstall the day they will be the majority. They can be over rightous at times. As a matter of fact the picture is being displayed over on the 24hourcampfire forum under the thread deerfest by someone that must have gotten it from the empire archives.
    goldbelt

i know a guy that got a ticket from a trooper while bow hunting and had small pistol. he had it concealed and trooper said without a permit it has to be visible. i have heard this but only when around people, like in a small gas station or something. but in the field it should not matter. but to that trooper it did and he went and got his permit at the next class. so not sure. but like dave said, just let them know you have one, which is the law if you have a permit it tells you that on the back. yep i was just being a nice guy by putting my pistol in view.

Default Not only polite..

[
    As a courtesy, whenever approched by a law enforcement officer, Coast Guard or other person of authority, I always inform them that I am carrying or have a firearms stowed. "Officer for your protection I want to inform you that I have a firearm located ________." The response from them has always been positive. If they know where the firearm is, they are less likely to think of you as a criminal and won't be on the defensive if they spot it on their own. Treat our law enforcement, Coast Guard and others with respect and things usually go a lot better.[/QUOTE]

.. it's the law, if carrying concealed in AK you are required to inform LE that you interact with that you are armed.

You are no longer required to have a permit to carry concealed in AK, but you still must inform LE that you are carrying if stopped by them.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

The "Inform Immediately" law was ruled unconstitutionally vague in State Vs. Smallwood in June 2001. Is there an update to this legal information?

It always seemed vague as to determine when you started to be "inter-acting". I just operate on the theory that if they ask for ID the inter-acting starts.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Back to the actual thread :-)
    They are breaking the law, file the complaint.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Angry more on greenies

You know what irks me most about this thread?
    Most tree huggers won't do a dang thing for wildlife conservation and have no clue how much we do as hunters for it. Most would just keep expanding cities and taking up more natural resources. It is mostly our money and our interest in hunting that has led to as much conservation as we have in this country and several others (look at the game preserves in Africa made just for paying hunters).
    Florida has had major deer overpopulation problems over the years to the point of having mass kills, just from lack of natural predation and not enough hunters, hmmm tell you anything?
    I almost only hunt animals I can harvest meat off of but I do understand the need to kill wolves, heck I'm a pretty simple man and can understand the simple economics of it... why can't those idiots?

IMHO if these idiots want to find a cause without reason please send them to Mogadishu to fix things there....

the older I get the more I know, most notably that I don't know as much as I think.

Default Knowledge

I had a girl in one of my classes one day complain because I talked about killling animals. I asked her if she ate meat and she responded, no, that she did not like hurting animals. So I said, "Then why do you wear leather shoes?" OH, I don't, I wear suede!

Most are uninformed.

yep most of them really have no idea. i did report them but ended up not pressing charges. trooper said it could go either way in court because it is he said she said bullcrap. he said they got a lawyer and were very scared. $500 fine and/or 30 days in jail. thier eyes were opened up. by the way seward troopers are the ones to call for PWS troubles. he was very helpfull and traced them down with the info i gave him. they had been drinking wine and said they got a little carried away with the bear situation. plus the name on my boat pretty much says we are there to do business. i am still pissed at greenies and this will always be in the back of my mind.

Default Suede is worse than leather..

...it comes from veal.

Default Veal???

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Suede most commonly refers to a type of leather with a soft, napped finish; however, it can also refer to a similar napped or brushed finish on many kinds of fabrics.

Suede leather is made from the inner splits of a side of leather, usually cow, although doe suede and pig suede are available. Because suede does not include the tough exterior skin layer, suede is less durable but softer than standard ("full-grain") leather. Sueded leather may also be brushed or napped to create the characteristic brushed texture. Its softness, thinness, and pliability make it suitable for clothing and delicate uses; suede was originally used for women's gloves. Suede leather is also popular in upholstery, shoes, bags, and other accessories, and as a lining for other leather products. Due to its textured nature and open pores, suede becomes dirty quickly and is especially susceptible to stains. As it is not washable, but must instead be cleaned carefully with special suede cleaners, it is not recommended for daily-wear items. When suede gets wet, it turns a darker color and can become damaged easily, as water drives out the essential oils that keep suede leathers supple. It is difficult to waterproof or stain-proof suede leather.

Suede leather cord is a popular trim, lacing, and jewelry material.

Suede fabrics are manufactured with a brushed or napped finish, resembling suede leather. Ultrasuede is a trademarked term for a microfiber plush with a hand resembling the softest suede, but which is more durable, and can be made resistant to liquid, stains, and crushing. It is commonly used in upholstery and fine accessories, or in clothing and shoes. Persons who enjoy suede's texture but who prefer a non-animal product, or an easier-care fabric, find Ultrasuede an expensive but luxurious alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast