Thread: 135 single pilot/plane opps & A&P's

Default 135 single pilot/plane opps & A&P's

Do most successful single pilot/plane 135 operations in Alaska also have their A&P and do all their own maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    Do most successful single pilot/plane 135 operations in Alaska also have their A&P and do all their own maintenance?

probably not.... ask the FAA
    Tim

The ones around here sure do... AP or AI
    Plus a spouse with a good job so you can pay the bills.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

1 yes , 1 no surely there are more than two 135's.

I used an independent AP/IA to do maintenance, repairs and inspections. He was listed as our mechanic in our opspecs/compliance statement documents and was covered by his own insurance and drug testing program. He also did the same for several other single pilot operators and a number of lodges that had thier own 135 certs.

It would have been nice to have had my AP cert so that I could have performed basic maintenance and repairs, but hindsight...............

Thanks for your input. I guess this is another one of those topics no one wants to talk about to strangers anyway. When I flew up there a couple years ago, I was told I would be flying with/under one or two other pilots tutilage, but that didn't happen. I also didn't realize I wouldn't get many opportunities to meet and speak with many local operators. So I had to learn largely on my own, which isn't all bad and nothing new for me. I spoke with a handful of local pilots, but not really the 135 guys. I hope to get to know a few more this fall. I would like to find a part time gig working for someone, but may end up having to start my own. But like most things if you cant commit to it 100% and have a proven significant income from it, its hard to justify all the overhead costs. Right now I make a pretty good living spraying for 3-4 months in the summer and am looking for something to do the rest of the year(at least when I'm not hunting myself) It would be nice to find something/partnership that could complement my spray season, flying or otherwise, and allow me to eventually quit spraying altogether and live in AK permanently. Hell I will probably move regardless. I'm not a licensed AP or IA although I am very mechanical and always like to help/observe so I know what to do if I break in the field or during a busy run. So if any of you guys wouldn't mind giving me a few minutes of your time this next fall or winter, I would love to fly around and visit with you. I've got a nearly new cub pretty well decked out for Alaska work. It would be nice to be able to capitalize on it for once, but wouldn't be opposed to flying anything else for someone, or even just helping out on the ground just to bump up the learning curve. I don't have anything to prove, I just like that part of the world and could be a real asset to the right person. Hope you have a safe and successful summer.
    PM me if you like.
    Thanks
    WR

I know two local single plane 135 Beaver operators who are also AI (IA)s...
    I also know one local multi-plane 135 outfit in which the owner is an AI (IA) but now hires others for that task. Come to think of it I know two local outfits that started out that way and the owners still maintain their Inspector Certs.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com