Thread: hilleberg tents

Default hilleberg tents

i have decided to take the plunge and buy a hilleberg tent. if money were not a consideration what hilleberg tent would you buy for a float hunt with three people? two of the individuals are over 200 lbs with wide shoulders. i think a 4 man version would be appropriate. what do you all think?

thanks,

shane

Freestanding or tunnel? I prefer free standing so I bought a Tarra. The Saivo is the 3 man version. If you are okay with a Tunnel then check out the ones with the GT vestibules.

Saivo

http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...ent/Detail.bok

Atlas with inner floorless tent and vestibule if weight and bulk is no object!

http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...ent/Detail.bok

Or make that two and hook em together!

Makes my Tarra look puny...

Never used Hilleberg, but they have a top shelf reputation. Just wanted to chime in since you mentioned using the tent on a float trip. Be sure to get a bigger tent than you "need". Especially on extended float trips, the extra room is most useful. I like keeping some of the gear in the tent corners. If not for keeping it handy, but just for keeping it dry. Also, it is nice to stretch out at times, especially if the weather turns south. Generally speaking, I think it is rare for folks to say, "Wish I had got a smaller tent". But I have heard many comment on wishing they had got a bigger model. My wife and I use a 4 person Black Diamond Guiding Light and I wouldn't use anything smaller on an extended float trip. Also, be sure to get a good ground cloth. Especially if camping on the gravel bars. Nice tent you are looking at, protect it from the inevitable. Food for thought at any rate.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Nallo GT

I bought a Nallo 3 GT. It's great and really roomy for 2 people. Plenty of room in the vestibule for 2 full size packs and plenty of extra room.

A 4 person for 3 people would probably be pretty similar. One small problem is finding an area long enough to stake it out. I have been able to find places to stake it out, but some spots that would otherwise be good are too short.

Great tent though and really lightweight for the size.

First off, I love my hilleberg Nallo 4 GT for backpack hunting! It was a palace on my goat hunt last year, but when it came to base camp at the waters edge we used a much larger Cabelas guide tent and it was dang nice to be able to stand up and have room to move around in! That said for a dedicated float hunt tent I can't see purchasing a super spendy bomb-proof tent like one of the big hillebergs. I would just save my $$ and go with one of the cabelas guide model tents. Now if you want one tent that "does it all" and is bomb proof I would give the Nallo 4 GT a hard look.

Default Hilleberg are great but...

For a float hunt something you could stand up in sometimes comes in nice. I love my Nallo4 GT for backpacking but I would want something with a little more height on a long float trip. If you have plans for a tarp and know there will be timber around to tie up something so you can stand under it great, but it is nice to have some stand up room if you can get it. Just my opinion.

Been looking for a two person hilleberg too, and I looked at the tarra, but its weight is slightly heavier than the other two person tents, that Hilly offers, I do like the Nallo's, and was looking at the Nallo 2, and Nallo 2 GT, heard great reviews on them.Barneys don't have them, so I have to order one oneline, saw many websites that sell them, so my question is what website should I order from?

The Atlas version Hilly, is exactly looks like the Cabelas "Alaskan Guide" Models.

For purely a float hunting tent I'd go with a 8 man cabelas guide model with aluminum poles. It weighs in at 31 pounds and costs $580 dollars.

Of course you mentioned cost was not a problem and me never been shy to spend someone elses $$$$ the hilleberg atlas (at 20 pounds and $1555 for the outer shell) then pick up the 8 man inner tent (8.8 pounds and $595). Now you still need the vestibule, but don't worry thats only 3.9 pounds and $320. In order to equal a Cabelas guide model 8 man you'd have about 32 pounds (close to the Cabelas 8 man) and $2470 or about 5 times the cost of the Cabelas guide model 8 man.

Unless you are packraft float hunting I really think you can spring a little bit on your tent weight to be more comfortable and one tall enough to stand up in and 3 people to sprawl out in during less than ideal conditions would be valuable. Obviously you are wanting to go hilleberg route, which I think is great for bombproof backpack tent options, but for float hunting I think you'd be better served with the Cabelas Guide models or even the Cabelas XWT (extreme weather tent). Good luck in your choice.

thanks for all your input. i guess i failed to mention. this is a float hunt in the brooks range. we have to fly w/limited weight. i will need a tent for three of us as base camp (at rivers edge), and a tent for pack in hunting (3-4 days/trip). i do have a cabelas XWT 6 man that i used last yr. on the peninsula brown bear hunting and it worked awesome. however, it is to heavy for this trip.

if weight was a concern, what would you buy (even if it weren't a hilleberg)? would you buy a larger base camp tent and a bivy for each person for the 3-4 day pack trips? or one hilleberg for everyone for both base camp/packing?

any and all input is greatly appreicated. of course i will give feedback on products purchased/used.

thanks,

shane

Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT. You won't be able to stand up in it but there is plenty of room for 3 guys and your gear. The huge vestibule is perfect for cooking in, storing packs, changing boots etc and the thing is bomb proof. If you have some extra cash to go round you can add about 10lbs to your trip and get one of the big go-lite Shangri-la 8+ man shelters like in the thread "10lb wall tent".

Default Barney's

I bought my Hilleberg from Barney's. Same story, he didn't have one in stock, but he would order it for me. I got a discount for ordering it during the sportsman's show a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Been looking for a two person hilleberg too, and I looked at the tarra, but its weight is slightly heavier than the other two person tents, that Hilly offers, I do like the Nallo's, and was looking at the Nallo 2, and Nallo 2 GT, heard great reviews on them.Barneys don't have them, so I have to order one oneline, saw many websites that sell them, so my question is what website should I order from?

The Atlas version Hilly, is exactly looks like the Cabelas "Alaskan Guide" Models.
    Look at the Katium 2. That's what I bought. It has a double vestibule so you can store gear and that means the living area is rectangular rather than sloping down like the Nallo.

Brett

Ordering them in at Barney's typically takes 3-5 days, so we don't keep them all in stock.

Brett

Default Nammatj 3 or 4 GT

I would go with the Namamtj 3 or 4 GT. They are extremely roomy inside with a vestibule that is just about as big as the tent itself. The 3 person version comes in at just over 7 lbs, which definatly isn't bad for a tent of that size. If you want to save weight, you can remove the inner tent and just set up the vestibule, we have done this to fit the max amount of people in there for classes in the backcountry and have easily fit 8 people in the 4 person version (sitting up).

If you would like more tent space and don't care too much about the vestibule space then I would go with the Kerron 3 and 4 (non GT versions). They weigh about the same and they basically just add more tent space and take away some vestibule space.

The Nallo tents are super light and great for backpacking where weight is a big concern, however they are a bit less durable, as they use lighter fabric, lighter poles and not as heavy duty stitch points. We sent approx. 36 Nammatj tents into the field last year with a total number of usage days of about 3000 in mountaineering, backpacking and sea kayaking environments. The only problem we had was 2 broken poles.

We tested a Nallo on one 30 day course and it came back with some ripped stitching and a rip in the vestibule fabric. Keep in mind however that our tents go through a lot more abuse than most personal tents do.

If you are looking for a good float tent that you will occasionally carry for a couple of days, I would recommend the Nammatj.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Been looking for a two person hilleberg too, and I looked at the tarra, but its weight is slightly heavier than the other two person tents, that Hilly offers...
    Thats cuz the Tarra has the stronger Kerlon 1800 fabric, 10mm poles (x4) and a thicker floor, plus it's self supporting. It's a stronger tent than than the tunnels. Split between two guys it's only and extra pound or so each over the 6lb tents. Personal preference. Nallo GT's are nice though.

thanks again for your input. it's all greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by brett adam barringer View Post
    look at the katium 2. That's what i bought. It has a double vestibule so you can store gear and that means the living area is rectangular rather than sloping down like the nallo.

Brett
    a big ditto
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."