Thread: Boat fridges?

Default Boat fridges?

hi guys!..can you guys tell me what type of fridges you use in your boat, and what you do to power them(amp draw?)?...DC only?..propane?..solar?..big battery banks??
    ....my experince has only been with propane with my camper...i dont use a generator, but have been swapping RV battieries with the boat batteries as needed..relying on the alternators on my main and kicker!...one of the boat dealers i am talking to wants me to forget about propane and go DC only!, relying on the motors and generators only!...thanks larry

will i have to wean my self off of propane??

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi guys!..can you guys tell me what type of fridges you use in your boat, and what you do to power them(amp draw?)?...DC only?..propane?..solar?..big battery banks??
    ....my experince has only been with propane with my camper...i dont use a generator, but have been swapping RV battieries with the boat batteries as needed..relying on the alternators on my main and kicker!...one of the boat dealers i am talking to wants me to forget about propane and go DC only!, relying on the motors and generators only!...thanks larry

will i have to wean my self off of propane??

First of all, i know nothing of boats, or boating where you are, but i think keeping the propane would be a good idea.

I've owned two boats: a 26' Osprey and currently a 30' SeaSport. Both came equipped with Norcold electric refrigerators. My current one draws around 2.5 amps (12 volts) when it's running (which I'm guessing is less than half the time).

I've never encountered a propane refrigerator on a boat, but there may be some out there. If you do a search at West Marine or other marine outfitters, I'd be surprised if you find them selling any propane refrigerators for use on boats. When I checked Norcold's website, I found that none of their propane units are listed as suitable for marine use.

From what I've read, the primary problems with propane refrigerators on boats are 1) that most propane refrigerators need to be level to work properly and 2) the danger of fire/explosion with propane.

You might be wondering, if propane stoves are safe to use on boats why not propane refrigerators? One answer seems to be that stoves are (or at least should be) attended whenever they're being used, and most boats have systems that shut off the propane supply to the stove whenever it's not in use. With a refrigerator, which needs to run all the time, there is a greater hazard of something going wrong without anyone noticing until it's too late.

At least that's my take on this subject . . .

Default DC and AC

I have a Waeco brand fridge and freezer in my boat. I installed them myself they both use about 50 watts each when they are running. I bought the 120 ac adapter and it looks like it is just an converter sold by Waeco. I did this for when I'm running my generator to allow the battery charger to send more power to recharging the batteries. If you had a big enough charger you probably would not need the converter

Nova Cool builds a nice fridge freezer combo for a boat.
    I like BHollis have never heard of a propane fridge on a boat.

B Hollis- How has your norcold been working? My friend had his new one crap out twice on him and some of the consumer reports have not been too flattering.

Chuck

I double checked and it turns out the refrigerator on my SeaSport is a Nova Kool rather than a Norcold. Never had any problems with either of the refrigerators on my boats.

thanks for the replies guys!!...well, i guess i can forget the propane, seems ac/dc is the way to go!...cant find any on the net anyway!...i have been looking at the norcold... kinda like this one, think it would suit our needs..plus, there are alot of dealers that fix them here in BC in case warranty issues/repairs arise!
    http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...7/Default.aspx

good to hear from you again "chuck!!"...what model do you have?...looks like hi tech stuff when i looked at it on their web site!

larry( piece by piece she is coming togther!!, thanks for all the help!)

Propane not a good Idea for a boat in fact crazy. Think about it boats slams and gets jolted (Leaks). Fridge runs on and off. Sparks??? BOOM, COLD!!!! Water, BC. Middle of no where. = bad idea.. Go with a Waeco, Norcold, or any other Marine brand. There all good. I my self use Waeco Sold many of them with no complaints. If your in BC how far from WA. Border are you? I may be able to help you out. you can PM me. I can get all brands.

Default Nova Kool

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    thanks for the replies guys!!...well, i guess i can forget the propane, seems ac/dc is the way to go!...cant find any on the net anyway!...i have been looking at the norcold... kinda like this one, think it would suit our needs..plus, there are alot of dealers that fix them here in BC in case warranty issues/repairs arise!
    http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...7/Default.aspx

good to hear from you again "chuck!!"...what model do you have?...looks like hi tech stuff when i looked at it on their web site!

larry( piece by piece she is coming togther!!, thanks for all the help!)
    Hi Larry,
    I think I would go for the Nova Kool. They are made in BC and have a good reputation, My fridge is a waeco about 4 cubic ft and my freezer is the 80 liter model.
    I think the compressor is one thing to look for. the Danfoss brand seems to be the type to get, I believe both Nova Kool and Waeco both use danfoss compressors. I think they are made in Germany and like Vince from the Shamwow commercail says "you know the Germans make good stuff"
    Check the cosumer reports, I know of a few people that had some issues with their Norcold fridges in the first year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This looks like it might be a good alternative if your looking for something a bit more versitile. http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Fridges/20.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    This looks like it might be a good alternative if your looking for something a bit more versitile. http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Fridges/20.aspx
    Hey that things pretty slick, a compressor driven fridge/freezer in a cooler type format. I never knew they existed. The peltier thermoelectric ones suck - and suck power.

Looks like these are fairly efficient.

The onboard fridges on the boats I've had hardly ever got used mainly because it was more convenient to use a cooler, but these types would be a lot more useful.

It looks like to 40 quart sizes run about 400 bucks.

Thanks for the link!
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Kinda what I was thinking too. Seems to have a really low power draw and I like the idea of a mounting rack.

Any brand you recommend? A google search of "12 Volt Portable Freezer" comes up with ATC, Whyner, Engel, EdgeStar (best prices BTW)

All of them get to -5F I have no idea on relative qualities
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

this is what I have. http://www.thetford.com/Home/Product...8/Default.aspx

I turn it on while running the motors and at the dock with shore power, but turn it off while at anchor. I freeze a water bottle and keep it in the freezer area and it always keeps my stuff cold for a long while. Usually only put stuff in it I don't want to get wet from the cooler.
    Boatless

I have a norcold. it'll drain your batts if you don't pay attn. when you install it make sure you put the metal ring they give you on the power supply wire or your electronics will go nuts when your fridge kicks on