Thread: Chest Holster Question

Default Chest Holster Question

For those of you who use them, do you wear them over or under your jackets in rainy environments? I'm in Juneau, and I'm thinking that I'd end up wearing it under my jacket, which would kind of defeat the purpose, because if a bear were to show up, I wouldn't have time to get to the gun.

Is it fine to keep it in the rain constantly, over my jacket? I guess I'm just too paranoid with rusting issues on the gun.

The chest holster is the only solution I have found that works for me. I really only use it when I wear my chest waders when I fish. I have my old S&W M-29 coated with NP-3 so I really don't care if it gets wet. I never pay any attention to it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

survival sheaths make a good chest holster set up out of kydex plastic along with the daimond d leathers another good holster choice for a hunting revolver set up ..

the survival sheath made a holster for me a 1911 with a aimpoint m2 mounted on it along with a surefire flashlight unit .for carrying in deep bush of south texas hog hunting ..for i wanted something that could be bought into action fast and use in short open runs of hog runs inside the thicket bush areas we where hunting in ..plus it get dark in some of those thickets and it better to have a light mounted to see where the pig is comeing from inside the bush ..

I have been using the Alaska Sportsman Holster with wonderful results. If you send me your email I sent you a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    I have been using the Alaska Sportsman Holster with wonderful results. If you send me your email I sent you a picture.

Same here. I love that rig. See a pic of it in my album. I wear it under the HH rain jacket with no problems. With the raingear slightly unzipped, but closed enough to keep rain out but allows air flow to keep from overheating. I can pull the gun out no problem. Why soak the gun for no reason when easy enough to draw? Now when in definate danger, butchering or tons and tons of bear sign, yeah outside might be better.

I can wear mine with all the stuff on in the pic and rain gear, not in the pic, just fine. Rides nice and high on the chest out of the way. Alaska Sportsmans Holster is very nice! Both for a revolver and auto, had a .44mag 8" in one for a brown bear hunt. Wore it every day for 8 days!!! Comfy.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I carry mine under my outer jacket, or raingear, and have my jacket zipped to be open some at the top.

That keeps it dryer and more accessible than having it on my hip, dragging through the wet brush.

If I need it in a hurry, having it there on my chest, under my jacket or not, makes it quick and easy to grab onto.

There's no way I'd carry it out unprotected, unless I just had to.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I do just like Smitty, under a half way zipped outer layer. My wide brim cowboy hat sheds most of the standard Alaska slow rain away from the open zipper and when wet brush gets that high I angle my side into it as I go along. If it's raining enough I need to be zipped all the way in bear season it's too wet for me to enjoy myself and I sit it out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I wear mine out on the top of everything in an Alaskan Sportsman Holster... I figure I don't carry my rifle under a coat, why should I do so with a handgun?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I wear mine out on the top of everything in an Alaskan Sportsman Holster... I figure I don't carry my rifle under a coat, why should I do so with a handgun?
    To keep it from gittin WET, or full of twigs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll do the same--keep it under my rain jacket.

To keep it from gittin WET, or full of twigs.
    My pistol, in it's chest holster is far more protected than my rifle in my hand No big deal...it's just personal preference.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My pistol, in it's chest holster is far more protected than my rifle in my hand No big deal...it's just personal preference.
    That's true, everybody is different and the gunís can take a lot of weather. I keep mine under for the same reasons as Smitty but for me the big issue is my outer layers get put on and taken off a lot when I'm out, I hate rain gear and if it isnít needed it comes off, and jackets come off if there is a chance of sweating in them. I learned the hard way that getting hot and damping a coat can make the rest of the day very cold and miserable. With the rig under I don't need to mess with it when I swap layers and never set it down like I would if it was on top.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona