Thread: Can a non-resident purchase a long gun here?

Default Can a non-resident purchase a long gun here?

I know that federal law states that a person may only purchase a handgun from an FFL in their own state of residence. Federal law also states that a person may purchase a long gun from an FFL in any state or another individual that is also a resident of their own state. Are there any Alaska state laws that would prohibit a non-resident from purchasing a rifle or shotgun from an FFL?

Yes but you have to jump through some hoops if you go through and FFL holder.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I cant remember the Alaska Statutes right now but IIRC federal law will bar a non resident from purchasing a long gun in another state from a dealer if the dealer cannot comply with the requirements of the purchaser's home state.

So if the non-resident is from California, Illinois or several other states, no deal.

That is true. The firearm must be legal in the person's state of residence. I believe ATF furnishes FFLs with a book of state laws so that they can figure that out. Assuming that a long gun is legal in both states, then is Alaska state law silent on the issue? I guess the better question is probably whether an FFL feel it is worth their time to transfer a long gun to a non resident, since they will have to check the other state's laws.

Its been about 3 years since I was in the gun business. We kept the list by the register and had no problem selling long guns to non-residents that were not on the list. I think there were about 10 states on the no buy list.

Some of the box stores had policies where they would not bother. Non-resident = no sale, even if legal.

Also, its not just is the particular firearm legal in the home state, its whether the transaction is. For example, a fairly standard hunting long-gun is probably perfectly legal for someone to own in Virginia. However, an Alaskan dealer can't comply with the Virginia purchase requirements. If a state has their own system that supersedes the NICS system, typically an out of state dealer cannot access it.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

No Alaskan Laws, however depending on their state ... there may be laws in place to enforce purchase from state of residence or ajoining states.

Check with their state of residence. I don't have my blue book here with me tonight.

Chris