Thread: 1908 Brazilian Mauser question

Default 1908 Brazilian Mauser question

My local gun shop has a 1908 Brazilian Mauser for sale, and I'd like to know what you think it's worth.

-7x57
    -Oberndorf model
    -with bayonet and sling
    -all numbers matching (incl. above)
    -30" barrel
    -5 shot mag
    -unfired, with factory brass muzzle cap
    -impeccable fit and finish -can't see any imperfections
    -S/N B 4927tt

As it's in the shop, I don't have pictures, but it is a lovely piece of hardware. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Sportsman Guide is selling old Mauser's for $359.99

I see WWII German Mausers for $359.99 in American Rifleman and some other magazines. I'm not at all sure but I don't think Brazilian is worth as much as German unless they are in 7.62.

A quick look on Gunbroker shows they run in the $130 to $190 range and seem to be there by the container load.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the responses. For some reason this seems to be worth more. It is one of the models made in Germany (Oberndorf), and as I said, is in immaculate, unfired, numbers matching condition. The guy who runs the shop has been buying and selling guns for 40 years, and from what I know of him, he wouldn't try to pull a fast one (although he's not above trying to make a profit). He has the gun listed at $1100.00. You would really have to see the finish on the action to believe it. I've never seen that good a fit and finish on any new rifle (in my limited experience).

"For some reason it is worth more..."

Immaculate condition, all matching numbers, matching bayonet and sling TOO!? Original to the rifle muzzle cap, B-prefix serial number (early manufacture).
    What is the probability that a rifle produced 100 years ago sat in its original shipping crate for that 100 years and is essentially new? Uh...need I say more?

My collecting interests are South American and German m98/k98's. Next time you are in the shop, look at the bolt and see if there are any lengthwise marks on the bolt from opening and closing it. If none, that rifle has never been fired since it's 3 proof rounds, and 5 rounds to verify accuracy. $1100 CDN is in the upper range, but if unfired/unissued, fair. You need to jump on that and leave it in the closet inside a soft guncase.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

First of all, the beat up Mausers that Sportmans Guide is selling are model 93s and model 95s. They are pre-1898 and if they were good examples they exhibit superb workmanship, BUT they are not the stronger 98 series as is the 1908 Brazilian Model.

The 1908 Brazilian Model is a M-98 action made in Germany during peacetime. They were very well made and very strong.
    It is EXTREMELY unusual to find one in pristine condition because most were abused in South America. I have not seen a nice one like that for sale since the 1970s.

Like Nitroman said, look for sign of wear.
    Also look for signs of being rebuild and refinished.
    The metal edges should be under the wood edges. The wood edges should be sharp. The stamped lettering and the creast on the receiver should be clear and well defined. with no signs of serious buffing.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

..and they are rusty wore out garbage!

Very nice! Condition, Conditiaon, condition, determines price. Ratty ones are about $200 from JGS and Centurty US down here. Real dogs. Beat up stocks, dark bores, sanded, reblued (rearsenaled?).

Nice ones, like you state, are hard to find, and works of art! The 1908 and the 1909s Obendorf and DWM rifles are wonderful built rifles. Buy it!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You could go to this website, and maybe do a search????

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...ers-Forum.html

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.