Thread: Encore Pistol

Default Encore Pistol

Does anybody have any info about it in 25-06? How is the recoil and how accurate? Thanks

Wink 7mm/08

I have the 7mm/08 (.284) and it is a piece of cake. Light recoil compared to my .445 SuperMag. About the same as the 30/30 in a Contender, again light.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have shot a 7-30 Waters and it was very smooth. I was wondering how the recoil was on the 25-06. I am loking for something to sheep hunt/ caribou hunt. I have also looked at the 7mm-08 and 308.

My first Rifle I ever bought was a Sako Hunter 25.06. I love it! Can shoot all day with it in hot Utah weather with just a t-shirt on (not on my gun, but on me). If you are dressed for cold weather climate then even less kick. But dont let the guys see you in that dress!

So far it is still my favorite gun, and would be my first choice to take out the door if my house was on fire.

I have both an Encore pistol and a .25-06...unfortunately, they are not the same gun, so I'mof no help. My Encore's also in 7mm-08, and the recoil ain't bad. I imagine with a .25-06, the recoil would be pretty stout, and you'd get a lot more muzzle flash/blast. I don't think the 15" barrel would do the round justice, either. Need a longer barrel to burn enough powder for decent velocities.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a 26" .25-06 rifle barrel though...but then I had my .25-06 built and don't really need 2 of 'em.

I forgot to mention that seeing a contender in 25.06 at sunset on the shooting range was very noticible of how much powder flash (wasted energy) was coming from the gun. All these small hand held rifles with interchangable barrels is kinda fun to own, but they sure waste alot of gunpowder ignighting in the open air, and not in the barrel where it creats the pressure which drives the bullet. Probably is the 'main' reason there is 'global warming'!

All we need is for Al gore to hear about this and make another movie!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Go to http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve. They have a lot of information about Encores and Contenders. The majority opinion is that cartridges based on the .308 Winchester and smaller are going to be the most efficient for use of powder. Cartridges based on the -06 and bigger will still have more energy than those based on the .308 but waste some powder by not being shot out of a long enough barrel.

My encore is in 7mm/08 but my first pistol hunt was with a friend of mines encore in 25/06. It was ported and still had quite a jump, not to mention that I couldn't hear and saw spots for an hour after shooting a white tail at 75yds with it. In my opinion, the 7mm/08 or 308 are the best choice in the shorter pistol barrel and more than adequate for taking big game at reasonable ranges, 200yds or less, more if you are well practiced.

Big time Contender fan and hope to own a Encore soon going with a 14" or 16" bull barrel helps with both wasted energy and barrel jump. As for accuracey I've taken white tail deer at 195 yards with the Contender in .223 and frankly out shoot my some buddies ussing rifles at the range. That being said profficentcy with a hand gun is a matter of pracitice you must put in the range time to get anywhere near there potentcial accuracey out of them.

Just one Alaskans opinion
    Rick P

Wow, the 7mm-08 is a popular one. That's what I have too, with a 15" 450 Marlin barrel on the way.
    The 7mm-08 isn't bad at all, & I would think the 25-06 with it's lighter bullets wouldn't be much worse. As far as accuracy, most are more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger.
    Handloading with slightly faster powders than the factory uses with 24" barrels in mind helps in the efficiency dept.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink

I"ve got a 45-70, contender, a 375jdj and 7mm-08 in encores. The 7mm-08 will do anything, and is the best IMO. Great long distance handgun, recoil not to bad, and factory ammo is loaded hot already for the non handloading handgun hunter. I can tell you this it destroys large whitetails! Ought to be a great tundra pistol if that is what your thinkin. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I got my 7mm-08 with the idea of it being my sheep/goat/spot & stalk black bear gun.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Encore

Mine is in 7-30 Waters. Barrell has muzzle brake. Very good shooter, has lots of muzzle flash. I can shoot less than 2 inch group at 100 yards, gun is capable of shooting much better. Killed first deer I shot at, at 103 yards, deer fell in tracks. A very fine gun and caliber.

Thumbs up Encore Pistol

I killed a caribou with my buddy's 7-30 waters at about 125 yards and it was the first time I had ever shot it. I was pretty much hooked after that. So I just purchased me a Pro Hunter Pistol with a 308 barrel (15"). Can't wait to go to the range and try it out.

Congrats 450 hunter!