Thread: Swivel Preference

Default Swivel Preference

What type and size of swivel or swivel snaps does everyone use when trolling for various species of salmon. I use barrel swivels and McMahon snaps but am unsure of the sizes. Been thinking of going to corkscrews. I use the same thing for halibut but larger.

Default Corkscrews

Stay away from the ones at walmart, freddies, sportsmans etc. Last year I had a 110 lb halibut stretch one straight, just a little hook at the end was holding it. When I put the harpoon in it the line came lose. If the halibut had shaken it's head it would have been gone.

B&J's has the best ones.

Corkscrew for silvers I go with 20-50#. It's either a 2mm or 3mm size.
    Halibout I go with the biggest I can get.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

2/0's for silvers and rockfish, 4/0 for halibut and lings.

B&J has them in bulk, I usually pick up a couple dozen each season.

Do you use the same rig for silvers and kings?

40# Maxima UG and bead chains for virtually all my salmon trolling here in the PNW.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    40# Maxima UG and bead chains for virtually all my salmon trolling here in the PNW.
    Are there brand considerations to take into account when selecting bead chains?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default coast loc for me....

over any of the safety pin type closures, those often break loose; usually bearing swivels for salmon, all the higher end brands are good; I often use Spro for bigger fish. Love the corkscrew swivels for halibut, AK Gray do you know of any online source of smaller corkscrew swivels for salmon? I've never seen them anywhere....Would go to BJ's but I go from Idaho to Valdez and can't go to BJ's for tackle of I would...for sure i never buy tackle at walmart unless maybe just a sinker!

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Are there brand considerations to take into account when selecting bead chains?
    I generally buy the 6-bead ones made by Luhr Jensen.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Uhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    That's an awful lot of pink, Doc. . .

Default Evans Swivels

B&J's sells Evans swivels. You can order from them by calling 907-274-6113. The 6/0 cork screw is 4 00000 12765 1 they sell for $55 for 50. You can buy the smaller 4/0 and 2/0 at B&J's, Sentry Hardware, and Walmart. Sportsmans Ware house sells the Dannielson Brand. The Evans brand uses a Rosco barrel swivel as the base and just adds the cork screw. You can purchase brass rod and make your own cork screws then add them to a barrel swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    over any of the safety pin type closures, those often break loose; usually bearing swivels for salmon, all the higher end brands are good; I often use Spro for bigger fish. Love the corkscrew swivels for halibut, AK Gray do you know of any online source of smaller corkscrew swivels for salmon? I've never seen them anywhere....Would go to BJ's but I go from Idaho to Valdez and can't go to BJ's for tackle of I would...for sure i never buy tackle at walmart unless maybe just a sinker!
    Yes u do. I will post the site here later on
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK