Thread: Bulged barrell

Default Bulged barrell

Would a modern day bolt action (in this case a Ruger 77) with a bulge in the barrel be worth considering as a project gun? Would have the pressure that screwewd up the barrel also rendered the action as suspect? Would you buy such a gun sight unseen if the money were right?

Where is the bulge in the barrel? If at the muzzel end, no problem. If closer to the action, caused from a left over bullet or cleaning patch, might be a different story. I most likely would buy it. Best of luck with the project. J.

For me as long as the bulge is beyond the chamber at a point where the front of the receiver was not bulged I would sure conceder buying it. Also the cast steel Ruger uses in parts like receivers seems to be more elastic than forged steels so tends to rebound to its original shape better without losing strength. Not that I wouldn’t snap up a forged receiver rifle with a bulged barrel also because I sure will, and with a smile. I love to find guns others have written off like that and get a good gun for a bit of work and a song.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The bulge is <6 " from the muzzle.

I'd buy it if'in the money was right.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A bulge like that is not caused by over pressure but from some type of obstruction in the barrel. Other that the barrel, the rest of the gun should be fine. If your looking for a project rifle, that would be a good one if the price is right.

What caliber and contour? We may have a take off factory barrel you can get for a few bucks shy of an oil change....

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    What caliber and contour? We may have a take off factory barrel you can get for a few bucks shy of an oil change....
    The bulged barrel is 300 win mag. I wouldn't be opposed to any of the magnums that will work with that bolt face!

I would believe you could have a Ruger replacement barrel on for under $150 with some careful shopping. Darrell might have one for you; he gets great deals all the time and might know someone to put it on for you. J.

If you can save five hundred bucks which will all most cover the cost of a top end barrel maker and the cost of fitting the barrel, I would go for it. By the time you figure in what Lilja or Kriger charges for a barrel you won't have to spend that much more to have the barrel fitted by a top gunsmith.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson