Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 40 Mile Caribou Hunt to start later

  1. #1

    Default 40 Mile Caribou Hunt to start later

    Looks like the board has made their changes to the 40 mile hunt. The season will start later, I think it said the 28th or 29th of August. Bulls only, no more "any caribou" for residents.

    They mentioned that by late August, the caribou disperse more from the roadways, so this will reduce the possibility of an overharvest like last years.

  2. #2
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    I was kind of hoping 21 would pass, an archery only season out there would have been nice. Oh well.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    That's too bad to hear. Yet another hunt made more difficult for young hunters.

  4. #4

    Default Hopefully...

    this will be a short term fix guys. If the IM objective can be met and herd increased, harvest can be increased. Let's just hope that this is a short term fix. Right now it is in the best interest of the herd and the hunt.

  5. #5
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default Northway

    Thanks for your input and your work on this Northway. Your opinion is highly valued and your efforts are appreciated.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    This may not be the best answer, but it is certainly better than leaving things the way they were. It also allows more people the opportunity to hunt caribou than if they would have changed it to a draw system.

    I agree with Brian that it's too bad for the kids, but it's not that difficult to take your kids out of school for a few days to go caribou hunting.

    My kudos to the board for their action. I'm not sure why it took them so long to change it to bull only since they have been trying to increase the herd size? It seems to me that cows are the last thing that should be killed in order to increase the size of the herd.

  7. #7

    Talking

    HMMMM.......
    28 August....Saturday
    Kids don't go to school on saturday's.
    And....is this going to "fix" the hordes of hunters that the dept wanted to curb?
    Band-aids rarely work and I hold no hope for this one either.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default I'm not surprised...

    ...but I'm disappointed with this outcome.

    I spoke with BOG members on this, and our Alaska Backcountry Hunters proposal #13, that didn't pass. We had asked to retain the earlier start date of the hunt, and to also ban non-resident participation in the roaded zones. And yes, we'd asked to regulate ATV use too in the future.

    Before I left the meeting, also got a chance to speak with the Tok area biologist on the future of this hunt. Here's the general rundown and thinking:

    Harvest will likely have to be capped once the herd reaches the IM population goal specifically to deal with the ongoing social issues and conflicts and abuses. Possibly a max harvest of two thousand animals, with differing hunts like we do in DCUA, maybe an early motorized hunt, a later walk-in only hunt. The demand for the motorized hunt, and the situations that arise during that hunt, is very high. The fact is, there are many who don't mind that type of scenario, they just want maximum opportunity to harvest a caribou.

    F&G is thinking that since caribou are typically dispersed from the road in late August, that this fall hunters are going to have a much harder time finding animals and being successful in a short period of time, and that once Sept 1st rolls around many of those same hunters will be after moose in other areas. And that if that happens, word will spread and there will be less incentive for participation. And that for the next couple of years, until we have to renew the Harvest Plan, and until the herd reaches the minimum IM population objective, this late hunt will be the way it is.

    There was concern on taking away youth/family opportunity before school starts, among the BOG members I spoke with personally. This was a very big issue for me and the org I co-chair. Others who testified in support of the later start date said they'd just take their kids out of school, and while that does go on, especially for moose hunts, I honestly don't think that is a valid solution for the state continuing to push hunt start dates later in the school term (like we do with sheep too) when there are conflicts.

    I looked up this year's school start dates and informed BOG members of that, and also that this year the 29th of August was a sunday.

    I also appreciate the work Northway, the Upper-Tanana AC, and the other ACs put into this, and agree something had to change, and respect alternative views on this even if I don't agree with them. I find it ironic though, after listening and watching the presentation given by Kathie Harms for ADFG, on the incredible amount of effort and money we are putting into recruiting new young hunters, educating them on gun safety and hunting, and pointing out that hunter recruitment is extremely important to the future of hunting...that we continually take away youth/family hunting opportunities before the school term begins.

    I also find it sad and ironic that the bad apples mentioned by Trooper Waldron in opposition to any youth-only hunt (that hunters would "borrow" somone elses kids to participate in a youth-only hunt) were used as some sort of justification not to have that type of hunt, that enforcement would be problematic because of that.

    So...again I'm not surprised at the outcome, and was told this was the way it'd go before the meeting even started. It's great to try to maximize hunting opportunities, and this is one of the last road-accessible caribou hunts without a draw, but in doing so we are creating a lot of conflicts, safety issues, taking away youth/family opportunities etc, and there just isn't a happy middle ground it seems.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

    There was concern on taking away youth/family opportunity before school starts, among the BOG members I spoke with personally. This was a very big issue for me and the org I co-chair. Others who testified in support of the later start date said they'd just take their kids out of school, and while that does go on, especially for moose hunts, I honestly don't think that is a valid solution for the state continuing to push hunt start dates later in the school term (like we do with sheep too) when there are conflicts.

    I looked up this year's school start dates and informed BOG members of that.

    I find it ironic though, after listening and watching the presentation given by Kathie Harms for ADFG, on the incredible amount of effort and money we are putting into recruiting new young hunters, educating them on gun safety and hunting, and pointing out that hunter recruitment is extremely important to the future of hunting...that we continually take away youth/family hunting opportunities before the school term begins.


    Regarding kids' hunting opportunities, there is something that can be done on the other front... the school districts themselves. Several years ago many school districts went to a new calendar, starting in mid-August and ending in mid-May. This effectively ended late August hunting opportunities for youths and families. Although ASD has already set next year's calendar, the calendars for the years that follow have not been set. On the ASD website (link: http://www.asdk12.org/ ) you can access a survey seeking opinions about the current school start and end dates. I encourage everyone to take a moment to share your opinion in the name of family and youth hunting opportunities.
    Last edited by Carnivore; 03-05-2010 at 14:38. Reason: spelling
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Only time will tell but the delayed opening should lengthen the season and provide more opportunity as the need for emergency closures declines.....

    There are about 130 regulation hunting days for this herd but the emergency closures have prevented many of us from planning a hunt and carrying through.

    I'm looking forward to a higher quality hunt.

  11. #11
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore
    Regarding kids' hunting opportunities, there is something that can be done on the other front... the school districts themselves. Several years ago many school districts went to a new calendar, starting in mid-August and ending in mid-May. This effectively ended late August hunting opportunities for youths and families. Although ASD has already set next year's calendar, the calendars for the years that follow have not been set. On the ASD website (link: http://www.asdk12.org/ ) you can access a survey seeking opinions about the current school start and end dates. I encourage everyone to take a moment to share your opinion in the name of family and youth hunting opportunities.
    Appreciate you bringing this up. Brian had posted about it in the Gen Discussion forum a while back:
    http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....ad.php?t=73010

    And it's something our org had commented on too, to the Anchorage School district:
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters....rintendent.pdf

  12. #12
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    I love it! Better chance at a good bull and hopefully the crazies will be hunting something elsewhere! I'll still be there.

  13. #13

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I love it! Better chance at a good bull and hopefully the crazies will be hunting something elsewhere! I'll still be there.
    Yup,
    This leaves time to get home, butcher, regroup and get back out for the last half of Moose Season. Early Caribou and Late Moose, couldn't have been better planned out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    This works out for most of us that like to sheep hunt on the opener....I could never do this hunt, due to it...now I can return from sheep hunting, and go right into caribou, and when it's done, move right on in to Moose.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    145

    Default A thought

    Do a corridor like the haul road On the taylor and steese, only change it a little. Bulls only, motorized vehicles authorized, 0-5 miles off rd "bow only", 5 miles plus rifle or bow. Maybe even allow children under the age of 13 to use rifle in corridor or set up a special 3-5 day youth hunt early in the season.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Looks like the board has made their changes to the 40 mile hunt. The season will start later, I think it said the 28th or 29th of August. Bulls only, no more "any caribou" for residents.

    They mentioned that by late August, the caribou disperse more from the roadways, so this will reduce the possibility of an overharvest like last years.
    They disperse from the road in late august because thousands of hunters hunt them in early august,,,, They will still be on the road this year on aug. 29th without hunting pressure.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    fishhook, ak
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Maybe even allow children under the age of 13 to use rifle in corridor or set up a special 3-5 day youth hunt early in the season.

    i know many children who have taken animals with a bow in the dalton corridor. i was one. no need to change this reg. next thing you know the dad's will be saying "well if my girl can use a rifle here then i ought to be able to" and that will be that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •