Thread: Road System Grayling in Mid-May?

Default Road System Grayling in Mid-May?

I'm looking to take a 3 or 4 day road trip from Anchorage around the weekend of May 22-23 to fish for grayling. From what I've gathered so far, that's probably too early for fishing around Paxson but may be OK for fishing waters closer to Glennallen. Is that accurate?

Can anyone recommend some good clear streams that are road accessible that time of year?

Thanks.

Mendelta creek on the way to Glennallen has good fishing but check the regs. It might not open untill 1 june. I have caught grayling on the willow. It will be a little early to hit the Denali highway unless we have a very very early thaw.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

if you find your way to north pole, fish badger slough off badger road huge grayling and tons of them can also catch a white fish or two.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

i was hoping to get into some grayling while driving the Alaska highway in mid May a few years ago, unfortunately everything was runnning off and all the creeks were blown out... the lakes were still frozen as well, so I didn't get to fish much at all. I don't want to burst your bubble, but do want to warn you of the potential roadblocks.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

mendeltna, the little nelchina? i think has grayling.....you could even fly fish the shores of lake louise and maybe get a few. theres alot more fishing to be had on the parks highway that time of year, so if your goin that way try every creek you cross between trapper creek and houston.

Release Lake Trout

Default Grayling

Not very large and kinda sparce but fun anyways and you can walk the whole thing, give Goose creek a shot. I've caught grayling there, and its a really fun place for a 3 WT and just a nice easy walk.

bowdy have you seen or caught burbot at the mouth of goose creek? how far is it to the mouth from the hwy bridge?

Release Lake Trout

Default Not sure

I'm not sure if I've ever caught burbot, as far as the mouth, I've never actually timed it, most the time I walk and fish down, then fish the holes on the way back up. Hit the railroad bridge and if I remember right its a few long corners from that.

seems to me like it mite be okay, considering way less pressure compared to the other parks streams.....never seen to many people round there....think i mite fish it a bit this year. is there whitefish in Goose?...ever see much bear sign? thanks for answerin my questions

Release Lake Trout

Default distance

If I remember right it is about 1.5 miles from highway bridge to mouth. Last time i was there (2008) the mouth looked like it might be really good. There was a large wide slackwater area right where it dumped into the Su. Good looking burbot habitat.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    If I remember right it is about 1.5 miles from highway bridge to mouth. Last time i was there (2008) the mouth looked like it might be really good. There was a large wide slackwater area right where it dumped into the Su. Good looking burbot habitat.
    This is also where you will find the Grayling and Rainbows in the early spring. They will be deep, where the clear water mixes with the silty water. You won't see evidence of them, but they are down deep. The mouth of any stream where it slacks with the main channels will be the best spot for burbot. Goose is a good bet for early season Grayling, at the mouth. Used to be able to drive to the mouth from the North side. Not sure you still can though. The guy that had the strip there sold it to a farmer, so not sure of the access.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    if you find your way to north pole, fish badger slough off badger road huge grayling and tons of them can also catch a white fish or two.
    Yep, Looking at old photos, we caught some there as early as April 27, and thats because we waited longer than usual to check it out...

Fish ON!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/