Thread: Black bear out of Whittier

Default Black bear out of Whittier

I'm planning a trip this spring out of Whittier and need to know if anyone has any inputs specifically on or near Coghill lake. I was thinking of heading up that way and possibly floating into the lake. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

We went there 2 years ago late may and there was so much snow you could not hunt. Stayed for 4 days didnt see one bear. There are bears there but they wern't out yet. A lot depends on the snow they get in the winter. We did get lots of shrimp and 2 nice halibut 80 and 100 lbs in about 200 feet of water. As far as the river goes it has been done but I hear it gets pretty tricky around low tide.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    We went there 2 years ago late may and there was so much snow you could not hunt. Stayed for 4 days didnt see one bear. There are bears there but they wern't out yet. A lot depends on the snow they get in the winter. We did get lots of shrimp and 2 nice halibut 80 and 100 lbs in about 200 feet of water. As far as the river goes it has been done but I hear it gets pretty tricky around low tide.
    Unless theres a river at the far end of the lake to get dropped off at, the only other river there that I'm aware of is the one that feeds out of the lagoon next to the lake and it flows into PWS. Not sure how you're wanting to float into the lake/lagoon against the current????

You don't have to go that far! We've killed bears in Whittier right there on the mountainside on the left if you're heading out of the bay. There are a series of waterfalls there and the bears walk all in between them in the spring time. It can be a hard hike if you try and go straight up near the waterfalls, but if you start in the very back of the bay there is a ridgeline that isn't too bad to hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    You don't have to go that far! We've killed bears in Whittier right there on the mountainside on the left if you're heading out of the bay. There are a series of waterfalls there and the bears walk all in between them in the spring time. It can be a hard hike if you try and go straight up near the waterfalls, but if you start in the very back of the bay there is a ridgeline that isn't too bad to hike.
    I second this.....Ive seen some BIG early season blackies all over those mountains and on the ridgetop. some brownies too....

Release Lake Trout

I went there in the fall lots of sign and only saw one little one and lots and lots of willows surrounding the lake, imo i wouldnt waste your time.

Default Thanks

I appreciate all the replys, sounds like I wont need to go that far out. As for getting there I was getting there in a 22' Searunner and planned to float in with a small inflatable. Thanks again any and all inputs welcomed and appreciated.