Thread: Coghill Lake

Default Coghill Lake

Has anyone been up to Coghill lake via boat, Dingy, or any other watercraft? Planning a trip this spring and like some advice, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gman_59 View Post
    Has anyone been up to Coghill lake via boat, Dingy, or any other watercraft? Planning a trip this spring and like some advice, thanks
    Three years ago (or has it been longer?) I went there in my 14 foot zodiac to take advantage of the massive sockeye run. That particular day it was flat calm and I could go at least 30 mph so it was a relatively short boat ride. We were going to camp but there were too many black bears and the bugs were horrific. Last year, I cruised right by it last year in my CD 22 when relatives came up and wanted to see glaciers and fish for halibut. The bottom fishing was not very good, but that whole fjord is something else as far as the scenery goes. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gman_59 View Post
    What time during the spring? The river might be running shallow, but the lagoon and lake could still be frozen solid in late May/early June. It happened to me on a bear hunt years ago. Depends on the winter they had over there and when you plan on going. Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    What time during the spring? The river might be running shallow, but the lagoon and lake could still be frozen solid in late May/early June. It happened to me on a bear hunt years ago. Depends on the winter they had over there and when you plan on going. Hope that helps...
    While I don't have first hand experience on that, I have hear that even the fjord is sometimes full of ice early in the season. I have only gone in late July and it has been pretty much free sailing then.

Default Coghill

Planned trip for late May early June, actually looking for Black Bears

Default Its possible...BUT:

Bring an extra prop (or two) and make sure that you have a tide book--and that you know how to read it. If you can run light and fast up the river on a high tide it would be possible to make it all of the way to the fish-counting dam. Not sure if it is blocking access to the lake in May...
    In the past two years I've been able to run past Coghill Point without too many growlers in late May...most of the time. There are times when lots of ice will slow your progress. Just use good sense and have a backup plan.

An alternative is to just walk the trail up to the lake cabin. Its a heck of a walk, FYI.

Cheers!

I will second that one: the walk sucks and the footbridge brings one closer to god. And if you walk it to the cabin you are not on the main body of the lake anyway. Personally, I think it would be better to boat it before the weir is put into place and I be really surprised it would be in place in May as there is no need for it then. By the way Chart 16711 does not the show the 50+ foot deep hole by the island and the mainland that is a good anchorage.

gman God knows I've tried everything to get in that river! One would think having a jet would be an advantage....ahem, wrong! there is so much kelp on the flat in front of th mouth that its impossible to move w/ a jet, it sucks up against the grate and your dead in the water. I know peeps have made it to the weir w/ a zodiak though

Default Tough Haul

A lot of years ago we took a 16' inflatable up and I think it was slack high tide, don't think it was high enough because it was a lot of work. Maybe on a real highish tide and while it's still running in?
    Great place too. You can see on the Fish & Game web site when they set up the weir by the date they start counting fish or show numbers.
    Made a TOPO map for info. It don't show the amount of bugs at all WOW
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default stuck

you sayin I am going to get stuck in my 15 foot zodi ? That doesn't sound like much fun.

Default Leason Learned

Do on a in coming Very High Tide, I think if you went up on a day where the low tide was a - and tried to come out you would be dragging it out on the salt water mud flats, the water from the lake sort of seeps into the ground out there.
    I'm planned a trip up this year in that part of the woods, some good fishing but boy can the waether turn too.

Default Not bad even at low tide

Me and a buddy did this trip in my Extream Shallow 2 yres ago the first week of Oct and at low tide. The low tide plus the late season made for a fun run, especially in a flat bottom boat 2 hrs out. There was about a 20 foot long run with a good incline just after the deep hole at the begining of the river that if you were runnig an outboard it would've never happened. We came out during high tide and there was plenty of water. We were doing the bear hunting run and saw 12 bears in 16 hrs and killed 2. We were back at the harbor in less than 24hrs and out the tunnel. We've cense done this trip a few times during the spring and it's a much easier run, the weather is a little more cooperative than the Oct weather.